PDA

View Full Version : Have I been wearing jerseys that are too big?

TronnyJenkins
09-14-2016, 06:19 PM
I'm about to order some new kits and before I do want to find out if I've been ordering the jerseys too big. I want "race" fit. Most of the ones I have currently like to ride up in the bottom/pocket area.

David in Maine
09-14-2016, 07:02 PM
pictures?

joev
09-14-2016, 08:59 PM
If you can, talk to a guy in your LBS about sizing. I wear M in a Pearl Izumi, L in Castelli, and XL in Santini. They guided me on the sizing of some of the brands and let me try on a jersey or two in the shop to check the size. Race fit should be snug, no flap, but not ride up. I found the bibs usually match the jersey in size. Regarding riding up, have you tried bibs?

Louis
09-14-2016, 09:01 PM
pictures?

http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/roadbike/500/fatguyinspandex.jpg

TronnyJenkins
09-14-2016, 10:03 PM
If you can, talk to a guy in your LBS about sizing. I wear M in a Pearl Izumi, L in Castelli, and XL in Santini. They guided me on the sizing of some of the brands and let me try on a jersey or two in the shop to check the size. Race fit should be snug, no flap, but not ride up. I found the bibs usually match the jersey in size. Regarding riding up, have you tried bibs?

Oh, I only ride bibs... should've mentioned that. And I actually have Rapha, Castelli, Pearl, and Safetti bib shorts. Thing is they all fit differently and these are custom ordered team kits. Can't do a 'fit kit' because a few of us new guys just joined and that's well past.

(FUNNY PIC)

Hahaha. You found me!

I think I'm just going to risk trusting the Pactimo size charts. New kits coming 2017 anyway.

sitzmark
09-14-2016, 10:54 PM
Pactimo makes nice stuff if you haven't had it B4. Summit series fits more snug than Ascent, but both relatively consistent to their fit charts.

verticaldoug
09-15-2016, 07:03 AM
Oh, I only ride bibs... should've mentioned that. And I actually have Rapha, Castelli, Pearl, and Safetti bib shorts. Thing is they all fit differently and these are custom ordered team kits. Can't do a 'fit kit' because a few of us new guys just joined and that's well past.

Hahaha. You found me!

I think I'm just going to risk trusting the Pactimo size charts. New kits coming 2017 anyway.

order smalls. as a cyclist, you always need to lose weight and get smaller

TronnyJenkins
09-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Ordered large bibs and medium jersey. I'd rather be aero up top and have room to breathe below...

David Tollefson
09-15-2016, 09:01 AM
There are different jersey cuts, often referred to as "race" and "club". As one might expect, the "club" tends to be a bit roomier around the lower torso (aka "gut"). Lower price point jerseys tend to be the "club" cut, even when they don't refer to it that way.

benb
09-15-2016, 10:04 AM
GCN had a neat video recently where they did their admittedly unscientific tests and tested a loose vs snug jersey and there was a pretty substantial aero effect to the fit of the jersey. (Better than the oft debated here carbon wheels in their test!)

Can't add a lot, it's tough to get these just right. I will say like someone else said my Pactimo jersey I got for this years B2VT (you had to get the jersey) is one of the most perfect fitting jerseys I've had. As snug as can be without being uncomfortable. I have a bunch of LG jerseys that I love that are comfy but definitely not as snug and then I have at least one other jersey that is uncomfortably snug unless I'm super super skinny. But my guess is the next size up would flap in the wind. Too bad I'm not crazy about the Pactimo bibs that match!

That pic of the guy in the Lampre kit is ancient.. I wonder if anyone ever figured out who he is and interviewed him. Quite of few of the people in viral videos/pics have been located and interviewed many years later.

shovelhd
09-15-2016, 10:22 AM
Pactimo makes nice stuff if you haven't had it B4. Summit series fits more snug than Ascent, but both relatively consistent to their fit charts.

Agreed. I ride the Summit, or whatever the top of the line is. They fit true to size, not European. Other than being made in China, it's a great kit.