PDA

View Full Version : Athena or Potenza?

SpokeValley
09-14-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm upgrading Mrs. Valley's Atlanta and have decided on either Athena or Potenza 11 speed groupsets. I know that Potenza is replacing Athena, but my perception (please correct me) is that they're similarly functional.

Visually, though, I like the Athena looks, especially the crankset.

Assuming that the prices are fairly close, which would you choose?

bfd
09-14-2016, 03:02 PM
I'm upgrading Mrs. Valley's Atlanta and have decided on either Athena or Potenza 11 speed groupsets. I know that Potenza is replacing Athena, but my perception (please correct me) is that they're similarly functional.

There are a few difference between the two groups:

1. silver color. I know Athena came in silver or black aluminum and carbon black, Potenza only seems to be an all black group, but I have seen pictures of a silver group (or at least partially silver).

2. crank. Athena has the older 5 arm look and Potenza has the new 4 arm look. Does that matter? Sounds like it does, so maybe get the Athena.

3. 11-32 cassette. Do you NEED an 11-32 cassette? Then Potenza. Of course, you can get an Athena long cage rear derailleur that should work with the Potenza 11-32 cassette. But have you seen the price of the Potenza 11-32 cassette?! Cheapest I've seen is $110. That's like 2 ultegra cassettes....but that's another issue.

4. cost. Athena is going away, so you may be able to find a group cheaper. Potenza is new and the groupset goes for about $600-ish (UK retailers)

5. Triple?! Just saw that Athena is/was offered with a triple crank:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campagnolo-athena-black-11-speed-triple-groupset/

Think about 30/39/52 with a Potenza 11-32 cassette! Hill? What hill?!

Good Luck!

Veloo
09-14-2016, 03:07 PM
The Potenza does come in silver but has black bits.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=176005;menu=1000,4,26

Athena is a all Powertorque if you're OK with that. Good luck finding an Ultra torque at a sane price.
Potenza will also accommodate compact gearing chainrings with the one crank.

May also find it hard to find Athena. Looks like folks are scooping it up.

icepick_trotsky
09-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Or, just use an Ultegra cassette.

SpokeValley
09-14-2016, 04:08 PM
GREAT info, as always. Thanks gang! :beer:

oldpotatoe
09-14-2016, 07:36 PM

Potenza is not replacing Athena, well the double Athena. Athena triple, Potenza double.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2016, 07:38 PM
There are a few difference between the two groups:

1. silver color. I know Athena came in silver or black aluminum and carbon black, Potenza only seems to be an all black group, but I have seen pictures of a silver group (or at least partially silver).

2. crank. Athena has the older 5 arm look and Potenza has the new 4 arm look. Does that matter? Sounds like it does, so maybe get the Athena.

3. 11-32 cassette. Do you NEED an 11-32 cassette? Then Potenza. Of course, you can get an Athena long cage rear derailleur that should work with the Potenza 11-32 cassette. But have you seen the price of the Potenza 11-32 cassette?! Cheapest I've seen is $110. That's like 2 ultegra cassettes....but that's another issue.

4. cost. Athena is going away, so you may be able to find a group cheaper. Potenza is new and the groupset goes for about $600-ish (UK retailers)

5. Triple?! Just saw that Athena is/was offered with a triple crank:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campagnolo-athena-black-11-speed-triple-groupset/

Think about 30/39/52 with a Potenza 11-32 cassette! Hill? What hill?!

Good Luck!

See below, Athena is NOT 'going away' but becoming the triple 11s group.

Ralph
09-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Potenza is advertised with a self extracting non drive side crank arm. Nice feature. Removes my reason to prefer UT over PT, but maybe not yours. I like the new crank bolt pattern for chain ring.

wc1934
09-14-2016, 08:38 PM
I know that I am not answering your question, but for 200 bucks more why not get chorus.

R3awak3n
09-14-2016, 10:30 PM
unless you are married to getting silver I would look around and get chorus or record lightly used. Mainly because of UT.

Looks like I got lucky and got an athena UT compact crank for a good deal here in the forum (I just looked and they are going for ridiculous prices). I also have athena 11 levers and they feel much cheaper than my record 11 (1 click) but I actually do not mind them at all, I thought I was going to hate it but they shift pretty amazingly and as good as my record 11 (different feel for sure and I prefer the record but in terms of moving gears they both do it quick, efficient and accurate). However if I had the choice I would do the record/chorus, however if I wanted silver I would stick with athena (potenza silver has the ugly black plastic shifter under the silver brake blade).

in terms of cassettes, who cares because if you want to save money just get a 105 11-32t cassette for $35, will shift perfectly.

buddybikes
09-15-2016, 05:12 AM
>>Athena is NOT 'going away' but becoming the triple 11s group.

Off subject - but this is great news. Shimano is beginning to think (or mfr's) that single fronts are all we need now

oldpotatoe
09-15-2016, 05:27 AM
>>Athena is NOT 'going away' but becoming the triple 11s group.

Off subject - but this is great news. Shimano is beginning to think (or mfr's) that single fronts are all we need now

Yup, a shame that a 'compact' and giganto rear cogset, with the resulting huge gaps, is somehow 'better' than a triple. 1by on a road bike even dumber.

zank
09-15-2016, 05:30 AM
Shimano is still firmly in the 2x camp, even for XC mountain bikes. You are thinking of SRAM.

SpokeValley
09-16-2016, 12:54 AM
I know that I am not answering your question, but for 200 bucks more why not get chorus.

I thought of this, and as I think more, why shouldn't she have Chorus? It's good enough for me; and like you said...about $200 for an upgrade.

The dynamic has changed and I'm thinking that's the way to go. After all, she asked for Campy. (Bless her heart!) ;)

Again, thanks all! :beer:

verbs4us
09-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Can't speak to Potenza but have good experience with 11s Athena freehub, chain, derailleurs running on White Industry crank (which I chose to minimize Q). Never miss-shift, quiet, fast--and silver! Athena brake levers a nice match with EE brakes.