PDA

View Full Version : OT: I've heard of these "Tough" phone scams...

William
09-14-2016, 09:57 AM
But I've never had someone try it on me....until this morning. I didn't recognize the number out of NY so I let it go to voice mail.

They left a hilarious phone message from one “ I am…officer Eric Foster” stating that it was time sensitive and very urgent that I or “my retain attorney of records” return his phone call immediately to resolve this issue. Of course he didn’t really state what the subject of the “issue” was. Then he tried to get tough…

” NOW, DON’T TRY DISREGARD DIS MESSAGE AND TO RETURN DE CALL, IF YOU DON RETURN DE CALL, AND IF I DONE HEAR FROM YOUR ATTONERY EIDER, DEN THE ONLY THING I CAN DO FOR YOU IS…WISH YOU A GOOD LUCK AS THE SITUATION BADLEY UNFOLDS ON YOU. Give me call back when you get dis message…(happy) Thank you.”

Hmmm, his accent went from a sort of New York/Brooklyn/Indian-ish at the beginning to full on Indian by the end of the message. I might just call him back at the “hotline for my division which is 845-302-8487” just to mess with him. :)

William

eippo1
09-14-2016, 09:58 AM
Hmm, I actually read that in a Miss Cleo voice and was quite entertained.

mg2ride
09-14-2016, 10:11 AM
It took about 15 attempts but I just got them to answer.

I was told that Officer Foster has left for the day.

Very strong Indian accent and tons of background noise with multiple people on calls.

I asked if there was someone else I could talk to and they hung up on me.

William
09-14-2016, 10:17 AM
It took about 15 attempts but I just got them to answer.

I was told that Officer Foster has left for the day.

Very strong Indian accent and tons of background noise with multiple people on calls.

I asked if there was someone else I could talk to and they hung up on me.

Hmm, they might have put you through to him if you offered up your SS & CC #'s. :)

William

Geeheeb
09-14-2016, 10:22 AM
don't call the number back from your actual phone, use a burner or some software

mg2ride
09-14-2016, 10:32 AM
don't call the number back from your actual phone, use a burner or some software

I'm not that dumb. I used my Gov't work phone!:banana: Fake name of course.

I got a hold of them a second time and he claimed he was officer Foster and that he works for the IRS crime division. Said they have already filed legal action against me and even gave me a claim # (NC2196-16).

I asked if they is someway I can just pay the fine and he said no and they were not with collections.

He said I would get another phone call later to discuss the details of my crime.

Something to pass the time as I do my normal work.:no:

BlueFly
09-14-2016, 11:21 AM
....he claimed he was officer Foster and that he works for the IRS crime division. Said they have already filed legal action against me and even gave me a claim # (NC2196-16).

As an IT consultant who has worked with the IRS - the IRS does not make cold calls to delinquent taxpayers. :no:

I am quite certain most forumites know that already. :beer:

Red Tornado
09-14-2016, 02:57 PM
This thread serves a good reminder for me to warn my family about this kind of crap. My wife's pretty quick on her feet, but daughter now living at college and my youngest at home (11th gr - a little gullible at times) could use the occasional remind.....

Keith A
09-14-2016, 04:41 PM
This thread serves a good reminder for me to warn my family about this kind of crap. My wife's pretty quick on her feet, but daughter now living at college and my youngest at home (11th gr - a little gullible at times) could use the occasional remind.....Good point. I'm always worried that my mom would fall for one of these scams.

William
09-20-2016, 11:07 AM
She is in the Military so this must be legit!! :roll eyes:

Greetings,

I know you will be surprised to read my email. Apart from being surprise you may be skeptical to reply me because based on what is happening on the internet world, one has to be very careful because a lot of scammers are out there to scam innocent citizens and this has made it very difficult for people to believe anything that comes through the internet. My name is Capt. Kate Carr Lee. I am a member of the US ARMY Medical Team deployed to Iraq because of the current ISIS problems. I discovered 2 trunk boxes containing American dollar. Am looking for a trust worthy individual who will assist me to receive the funds in his country before l will come over and join the person. To prove my sincerity, you are not sending me any money because most of these scams are all about sending money.

For reference click the link below
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_military_intervention_against_ISIS
www.cnn.com/2014/08/08/world/iraq-options
www.cnn.com/2014/08/20/world/meast/iraq-crisis/

Information below is neccesary,

1. Full Name...
2. Address....
3. Occupation...
4. Age..........
5. Your Telephone Number.

As soon as i received these information i will send more details.

Best Regards

Capt. Kate Carr Lee

William

Steve in SLO
09-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Yesterday I received 5 calls from the IRS in Los Angeles, and this AM I was woken up at 0600 by the IRS in New York, then called back twice. All numbers used have now been blocked, but sheesh...

Dead Man
09-20-2016, 06:28 PM
"...because most of these scams...." as in, not THIS scam.. my scam is dif'rent.

brewsmith
09-20-2016, 07:08 PM
I had the exact same experience from the 'IRS' saying I owed $15k+ over a time period when I was out of the country and making no $. Heavy indian accents bullying me in to paying by a 'government store' aka cvs money order. After about 10 mins i grew weary of the charade, hung up and was promised the police were on the way to arrest me...

After reading some of the comments here, I should also mention that one of the techniques these scammers use is the threat that if you hang up/break the call, then they will immediately send out a warrant for your arrest, so for the young and/or gullible, they try to keep you from talking to anyone or looking anything up before you give away information

Still here and free btw :)

Mr. Pink
09-20-2016, 07:57 PM
The IRS is actually fairly pleasant to deal with if one is in arrears. Not that I would know, personally. I've heard this from a friend of a friend. Really.

AngryScientist
09-20-2016, 08:06 PM
This stuff pisses me off big time. Obviously, we who are proficient with the Internet and modern life in general are not at risk, but the older generation who live a simpler life and are more vulnerable are at risk for these scumbags. people who prey on the weak and vulnerable of society have a special place in hell. Society should take care of the folks who took care of us. It's disgusting.

echappist
09-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Got two calls like this a few weeks ago at my dad's place. First time i cursed the guy out, but he called again the next day. Unfortunately, my dad picked up the phone and seemed confused. I surmised that it was a scammer again, and just for kicks, told the guy that with my state of the art caller ID, I know exactly what city he's calling from and i'm sending "the attorney general" after him. He tried to scare me again and I repeated myself that he should be prepared to deal with "the attorney general" and hang up. No calls since.

Then yesterday had one of those people whose number is affiliated with a group pretending to be a veteran's organization call me. I used one of the only few phrases of French i still remember and asked, "qu'est ce que c'est?" Dude hang up real quick.

gdw
09-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Next time one of those scam artists calls tell him you're deaf and the captioned phone you're using seems to be having difficulties with his accent. Talk over him, speak very loudly, and ask lots of stupid questions as he tries to bully you. Be creative, obnoxious, and insulting. Have fun.

wildboar
09-28-2016, 02:42 PM

Keith A
09-30-2016, 11:23 AM
This is just crazy, guy leads scammer on, but what's scray is when he exposes him (language warning)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuVFcizDwqw

Exonerv
09-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Awesome video! Thoroughly entertaining. Props to the guy...

09-30-2016, 06:22 PM
My first impression: This was William trying to negotiate a bike out of somebody.

echappist
10-06-2016, 12:47 PM
scumbags are finally getting their due comeuppance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/indian-call-center-employees-posing-as-the-irs-may-have-bilked-americans-out-of-millions/2016/10/06/86902a17-7947-4000-b7c6-3749f59e7381_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories-2_callcenter-1045am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

William
10-06-2016, 01:55 PM
My first impression: This was William trying to negotiate a bike out of somebody.

I call you now mr. 11.4...

:)
William

CampyorBust
10-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Ha not surprised! Sounds just like the guy I talked with. I didn’t drag it out for that long and it got uglier and raunchier quick. Though he did not go 911 on me, amazing! Basically as soon as they know they aint getting diddly the abuse begins. Glad they caught these low lifes.

sfhbike
10-06-2016, 03:50 PM
This is just crazy, guy leads scammer on, but what's scray is when he exposes him (language warning)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuVFcizDwqw

THAT was awesome.

BobO
10-06-2016, 06:55 PM
scumbags are finally getting their due comeuppance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/indian-call-center-employees-posing-as-the-irs-may-have-bilked-americans-out-of-millions/2016/10/06/86902a17-7947-4000-b7c6-3749f59e7381_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories-2_callcenter-1045am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Dangit, I always had loads of fun with these clowns. I'd keep them on the phone as long as I could and waste as much of their time as they'd let me. When I felt like they were catching on I'd ask for a case number, or full name and employee ID number,... click. The best reaction was when I told this one guy that I was a supervising IRS agent and that I wanted to know which office he was in so I could talk with him personally. Stutter, stammer, click. Entertainment like this is hard to find. :D