PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your news?

Elefantino
09-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Not cycling-related or even sports-related, but in general?

As a former newspaper person, I am always curious to ask that question and hear the answers. And particularly in an election year, if not most particularly this election year.

It pains me to say it, but for the first time in my lifetime I don't take a newspaper, a clear case of biting (and then spitting out) the hand that fed me for 35 years. As such, I freely admit that I feel less connected to my community outside of my own inner circle and bike shop connections.

I spend a lot of time now on sites like the BBC, Guardian, the Atlantic and occasionally Politico and less on aggregation sites, even more rarely on cable news sites or even major newspaper sites.

What say you?

And please, let's not make this partisan or political!! :no:

rando
09-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Gawker media and The Sun.

Fair, unbiased accounting from unassailable sources by reporters with scruples.

Honestly now, I tend to wear through my XX number of free articles online at numerous international papers. You no doubt are familiar with the quip about not reading the paper at all or reading every one you can get your hands on from cover to cover.

Tickdoc
09-13-2016, 09:54 PM
No paper for more than 10 yrs now. I spend a few minutes each morning on yahoo. I will occasionally peruse our local papers website. Newsweek, bbc, latimes, etc.

In the car I like npr ( but mainly listen to Howard stern)

I could give a flying f*ck about it being an election year. Just make it that much harder to find real news.

I find myself instead reading more about happy happenings or discoveries around the world. I like astronomical, historical, and archeological news, everything else seems way too biased, imo.

rando
09-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Just to prove a point here. (http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/new-five-pound-note-survive-8828107) The active mind is never bored and can find substance anywhere. Even among filth.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article8828120.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Rod-McPhee-tests-the-new-%C2%A35-note.jpg

dustyrider
09-13-2016, 10:19 PM
The Internet. I only read what interests me on that given day and only for about an hour, sometimes two, depending on where topics take me. I like tech. of all kinds, science, educational trends. Bikes! I scan sites for headlines and then do my own research after reading.

I check in on world news sometimes, but I like to give individual attention to topics I'm unfamiliar with, or interested in, and try to learn/understand the multiple facets of them for myself. Often times that would require learning a lot of other languages...

Occasionally, I check out our local paper, but it is pretty horrible. I may catch some news video here and there but only watch tv for the occasional sporting event. In fact, Sunday night's nfl game reminded me just how little I expose myself to "live" video broadcasting anymore. As far as this political cycle is concerned, I've been blocking it out since Obama took his second term and everything became anticipatory for the 2016 election year! I Hope that isn't too political...general news just doesn't interest me enough to seek it out. I here about it, I see it, I take note of it, but I don't consume it. Not sure if that makes sense. I don't feel disconnected from my community because my community is made up of so many different people that general topics come up only in passing and as a way to speak as a group. Usually we split into smaller groups pretty quickly and engage in very specific regular conversations built up over days, months, years of communicating with each other about our shared interests.

Journalism is not at it's high water mark right now and that saddens me. The onus is on the interested party more so than ever and why fallacy seems to be almost the norm. Though I wonder if that is historically accurate?

kramnnim
09-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Facebook.

Plum Hill
09-13-2016, 10:30 PM
A bunch of old guys at the quick shop in the morning.
And newspapers and Time magazine.

Dead Man
09-13-2016, 10:34 PM
Every once in a while I'm tempted into clicking a tabloidian article on my Yahoo home page. Usually a story about some hawt teacher screwing her high school student on the other side of the country, or something equally completely unworthy of national headlines.

But I gave up being a follower of news about 10-12 years ago. No politics, no local news, no nothin. I do microbrews and small batch bourbon instead. My life is so peaceful

ORMojo
09-13-2016, 10:36 PM
Local paper (but generally only about 5-7 minutes worth per day), Washington Post, NYT. NPR a lot because I like the shows, and because I'm in the car a lot.

djg21
09-13-2016, 10:39 PM
I read a local newspaper on line for info re: State Government. I use news aggregators or websites that link to numerous national and local newspapers generally.

Tandem Rider
09-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Every once in a while I'm tempted into clicking a tabloidian article on my Yahoo home page. Usually a story about some hawt teacher screwing her high school student on the other side of the country, or something equally completely unworthy of national headlines.

But I gave up being a follower of news about 10-12 years ago. No politics, no local news, no nothin. I do microbrews and small batch bourbon instead. My life is so peaceful

I could hang with you, eye to eye on several fronts. Glass of Calumet right now..:beer:

GuyGadois
09-13-2016, 10:57 PM
NY Times online and Wall Street Journal online. Two of the few remaining papers with their own writing staffs.

And, this: Last Week Tonight (https://www.youtube.com/user/LastWeekTonight)

seric
09-13-2016, 11:25 PM
As far as Surface Web sites go: NPR, Propublica, BBC, The Guardian and Al Jazeer.

rnhood
09-14-2016, 12:33 AM
In my opinion the Wall Street Journal has the best writers/journalists. And by a long shot.

ripvanrando
09-14-2016, 02:40 AM
Fox

alancw3
09-14-2016, 03:16 AM
Google News. i have found this website to be the best for general news. various sub categories and further breakdown by news type i. e. world, elections business, entertainment, sports, science, health etc.

OtayBW
09-14-2016, 03:55 AM
With a 55 mi commute, I listen to a lot of Sirius new programs: NPR, POTUS, etc. Also NYT, Wash Post online. I will say one thing (sort of) political: I am a bit of a news junkie, but I have become saturated and just about completely fed up with the shenanigans (to put it kindly) in this year's General Election. Listening to the news just gets me all riled up these days, so for the first time in a LONG time, I am beginning to tune it out....:mad:

oldpotatoe
09-14-2016, 05:13 AM
Not cycling-related or even sports-related, but in general?

As a former newspaper person, I am always curious to ask that question and hear the answers. And particularly in an election year, if not most particularly this election year.

It pains me to say it, but for the first time in my lifetime I don't take a newspaper, a clear case of biting (and then spitting out) the hand that fed me for 35 years. As such, I freely admit that I feel less connected to my community outside of my own inner circle and bike shop connections.

I spend a lot of time now on sites like the BBC, Guardian, the Atlantic and occasionally Politico and less on aggregation sites, even more rarely on cable news sites or even major newspaper sites.

What say you?

And please, let's not make this partisan or political!! :no:

As and old fart who still rides an old steel frame, local paper, NBC nightly news, and CNN via streaming..and on a couple of forums, like the General section of Cyclingnews forum..sometimes BBC streaming also. NPR while in the car.

gomango
09-14-2016, 05:20 AM
SZ.de
Deutsche Welle
BBC
NPR
MPR

.....and the usual bike/fly fishing pages online.

BobC
09-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Economist

merckx
09-14-2016, 05:24 AM
My thirteen year old daughter usually sets my compass regarding news. She doesn't tell me anything I don't need to know.

zmudshark
09-14-2016, 05:34 AM
Reddit

Ralph
09-14-2016, 05:41 AM
Local news paper online. I still want to keep up with local and state news. In most ways....state politics affect me more than national. Walls Street Journal for business and other news. But you have to be careful with WSJ for spin.

Also watch the news channels on Cable. Also BBC and Bloomburg. Again...have to watch out for spin. Wish there was more real info here.

And has said above.....kinda getting tired of this election. Nothing much new.

mbrtool
09-14-2016, 06:03 AM
NYT; NPR; Ecomist and News Hour on PBS

mg2ride
09-14-2016, 06:08 AM
Google news and almost headlines only.

Sports news by watch PTI

fuzzalow
09-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Most of the news sources I use are paid, as opposed to free, sources or publications.

The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times as dailies - of which almost all of the WSJ is behind a paywall if you are not a subscriber and, in credit to the NYT, almost all of their paper is freely accessible from their website.

The Economist and The New Yorker as weekly publications both received in print form & electronic reader but my preference is I still turn pages.

The few free resources I use are The Guardian, NPR and Politico.

News sources, as pertinent to the current US presidential election, is largely irrelevant as the election has centered not on policy but on personality.

AJosiahK
09-14-2016, 07:01 AM
I try and get a rounded view, avoiding some and taking most with a grain of salt

NPRs local WBUR does a good job, nytimes etc

trumps facebook page is pretty good too

guido
09-14-2016, 07:12 AM
New York Times, National Public Radio.

Onno
09-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Times, NPR, BBC, CBC, and the Globe and Mail. I occasionally head over to some conservative sites to try to get out of any echo chamber I may unwittingly have entered, but am mostly appalled at what I see there.

54ny77
09-14-2016, 07:36 AM
The Onion and Weekly World News.

More accurate and non-biased than the MSM.

redir
09-14-2016, 07:39 AM
I like the aggregators like Google or Yahoo news since they pull articles from vast sources, websites, news papers and so on. Once you follow a story you can then see the same story from many different sources.

livingminimal
09-14-2016, 07:47 AM
I was thinking about this a lot lately, and I unfollowed every pundit, columnist, op-ed writer etc that I could. I also quit watching cable "news."

I only followed ones that were clearly more in my line of thinking, but I just couldn't do it any more. I was too often conflating much of that with news, creating more polarization, which is unnecessarily stressful. This election has really exhausted me.

Now, the papers I read daily are NYT and WaPo, but mostly scanning headlines and reading ledes, and I read very few columnists now (Krugman and Charles Blow I've stuck with, you can clearly see my political leanings now) but where I really look for NEWS is Reuters, BBC, and Al-Jazeera.

My political leanings are what they are, but I think its all of our responsibilities to try and be objective, holistic, and fact-oriented with our news consumption. FOX, MSNBC, CNN etc will never give us that.

RFC
09-14-2016, 07:58 AM
I grew up in a newspaper journalism family. My dad was a long time newspaper editor and then a mass communications college dean. He is rolling in his grave because of what has become the local newspaper industry.

Me, WSJ and NYT (both digital) in the morning, NPR in the car and at my desk, CNN when I want to hear weeks of mindless speculation regarding the location of the Malaysian airliner. BTW, it landed on Dr. Moreau's island and the passengers have all been turned into man beasts.

Mr. Squirrel
09-14-2016, 08:04 AM
i do enjoy bbc. i also have the springfield shopper and the light and champion delivered to the base of my tree. bicycling too, shredded it is wonderful for taking care of your daily business and wrapping your nuts in.

mr. squirrel

kittytrail
09-14-2016, 08:09 AM
speeking of news sources: pictures from the Beeb (http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-37348004) site taken from the book "Mountains: Epic Cycling Climbs" by Michael Blann. ;)

Aaron O
09-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Philadelphia inquierer and WSJ.

54ny77
09-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Agreed. I came within a squeak of getting into journalism as a career. Am very, very glad I didn't. For a long time, arguably one of the better, more impartial newspapers (as in newspapers, pre-internet, the thing produced with paper and ink!) that broke great stories and had excellent content was the Christian Science Monitor. Had a journalism teacher that first introduced me to it and for a long time thereafter I was an avid reader. I haven't looked at it for years, however (at least 10-15 yrs.) so I have no idea how or if it's tilted towards a heavy bias one way or the other.

I grew up in a newspaper journalism family. My dad was a long time newspaper editor and then a mass communications college dean. He is rolling in his grave because of what has become the local newspaper industry.

Me, WSJ and NYT (both digital) in the morning, NPR in the car and at my desk, CNN when I want to hear weeks of mindless speculation regarding the location of the Malaysian airliner. BTW, it landed on Dr. Moreau's island and the passengers have all been turned into man beasts.

witcombusa
09-14-2016, 08:50 AM
get what you deserve...

Ray
09-14-2016, 08:50 AM
I get the NYT and Washington Post online, as well as perusing a variety of magazine/blog sites. Vox, TPM, National Review Online, 538 are regulars and a few others from time to time. I've stopped watching cable news almost completely except in the case of some huge breaking story that I'll immerse myself in for a couple of hours sometimes. But the day to day coverage/analysis of news, particularly elections are geared to only one thing - keeping you watching. I learn almost nothing from those folks and I end up getting equally pissed whether it's MSNBC, Fox, or CNN. I tend toward liberal but MSNBC pisses me off almost as much as Fox, except for Chris Hayes, who I like and respect a lot... I follow a handful of people on twitter (both sides, but the Republicans I follow are never-Trump types) because they'll often point me to the occasionally really interesting analysis. I listen to a few podcasts pretty regularly, a few political ones and a bunch way outside of politics. And I listen to a lot of sports radio these days because it distracts me from the most depressing election of my lifetime, and I NEED to be distracted from it.

And we still get the Philly Inquirer - in physical form - every morning. For national stuff it sucks because it mostly reprints stuff I saw on the Washington Post site the day before. But it keeps us tied into what's going on in the state and region in a way I'd miss if we didn't get it. And, as comfortable as I am with new forms of media, I still like spreading a newspaper out on the kitchen island over breakfast and coffee. When it doesn't arrive I try online, but it just doesn't work for me in that context. Also, my wife is a crossword puzzle addict and the cost of the subscription is worth it for that alone - to her at least... ;)

So, mostly online, but our local paper too...

-Ray

redir
09-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Then of course there's... The Onion.

:D

rwerkudara
09-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Paceline > General Discussion > 'OT' threads :banana:

MattTuck
09-14-2016, 09:37 AM
I rely on the following websites
(Some of these are content creators, some are aggregators)

WSJ
Economist
qz.com (which is an offshoot of the Atlantic, although their articles lately have gotten more and more odd.)
Zerohedge
Real Clear Politics
Financial Times
Valley News (local paper)

I listen to NPR in the car.

eippo1
09-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Listen to NPR, but get most news from Reddit.

Hindmost
09-14-2016, 10:10 AM
SZ.de...

This caught my attention. When I checked the online fees were pretty hefty. Is there a free content option?

Gartenmeister
09-14-2016, 10:25 AM
In my opinion the Wall Street Journal has the best writers/journalists. And by a long shot.

This.

But I also take the local paper, listen to NPR, scan Fox News online and watch local 10 o'clock news.

rando
09-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Fox

I think ripvanrando watches FOX News through a sock. Much as a photographer shoots with an old tshirt over the lens for the purpose of making the scene take on an attractive softer focus.

notsew
09-14-2016, 10:37 AM
I read the local and regional papers daily, mostly for work related information.

Outside of that, NPR and reddit are my leading sources.

Rueda Tropical
09-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Daily: Flipboard app for 80% of my info.

occasionally browse for the other 20%:

Guardian
NYT
AlJazeera
Haaretz
FT
Business Insider
Reddit
Techcrunch
Huffington Post

johnniecakes
09-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Local newspaper, USA today, BBC

ripvanrando
09-14-2016, 11:11 AM
I think ripvanrando watches FOX News through a sock. Much as a photographer shoots with an old tshirt over the lens for the purpose of making the scene take on an attractive softer focus.

I don't know what your problem is but your trolling me is getting old.

SpokeValley
09-14-2016, 11:48 AM
WSJ print and online;
Drudge
Fox
Local paper daily email, but don't spend much time there.

adrien
09-14-2016, 11:53 AM
BBC, CBC, globe and Mail, NPR for the mainstream stuff. For more depth I do like a good Atlantic story.

I stay very far away from the outrage machine that is greedily eating what used to be a democracy in order to poop out advertising dollars.

zap
09-14-2016, 11:53 AM
My wife.

EDS
09-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Gawker media and The Sun.

Fair, unbiased accounting from unassailable sources by reporters with scruples.

Honestly now, I tend to wear through my XX number of free articles online at numerous international papers. You no doubt are familiar with the quip about not reading the paper at all or reading every one you can get your hands on from cover to cover.

You will of course be sad to learn that Gawker no longer exists as it was shut down in the wake of the bankruptcy and subsequent pending sale to Univision.

gomango
09-14-2016, 12:20 PM
This caught my attention. When I checked the online fees were pretty hefty. Is there a free content option?

Not sure.

We have an annual subscription from my wife's family in Bayern. 😃

SoCalSteve
09-14-2016, 03:59 PM
TMZ...the ONLY real source for news...:p

William
09-14-2016, 04:42 PM
i do enjoy bbc. i also have the springfield shopper and the light and champion delivered to the base of my tree. bicycling too, shredded it is wonderful for taking care of your daily business and wrapping your nuts in.

mr. squirrel

I tell yu wha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oScmodG_riM

William

paredown
09-14-2016, 06:25 PM
I'm more into 'slow news'--like slow cooking...I read the New Yorker pretty regularly for that reason.

NPR in the car if I'm in the mood; like Marketplace at the end of the day.

NYTimes print edition Saturday and Sunday--and occasionally online during the week.

WSJ occasionally--I just found out that my lovely wife has a subscription, so I can get behind the paywall.

TV news--pretty much never, unless I'm getting the car repaired and I am forced to watch it.

stackie
09-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Second vote for paceline forum. Also VSalon. I figure I'm dealing with a group of somewhat like minded individuals here. At least we all lust after and ride bikes. That gives us one thing in common. So keep posting those OT threads, you're helping keep this one informed.

Apple news. Doximity feed for anesthesiologists - germane to my livelihood. Anesthesiology journal. OK, so that's not news but damn it's boring and it just might help me save your live someday.

And I get weekend WSJ. Good writing. Just enough to give me a little to talk about over the ether screen.

Never the local paper.

Jon

chuckroast
09-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Wall Street Journal and local Sunday paper, both in my driveway. Reddit and RCP on-line.

Hindmost
09-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Not sure.

We have an annual subscription from my wife's family in Bayern. 😃

My mother's people left Bayreuth in 1841. So, I don't think that will work for me.

beeatnik
09-14-2016, 07:36 PM

Rando, I like your lucid style.

Cicli
09-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Robin Quivers. Great newscaster. :D

CampyorBust
09-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Okay okay I’ll admit it I do listen to NPR. You should hear my Diane Rehm impression, so good but so wrong, ah fun times! :D

Actually I too frequent a fair amount of Ministry of Truth approved thought dispensaries.

Gsinill
09-14-2016, 08:49 PM
spiegel.de
WBEZ and WUNC for NPR
FB links to outlets on the left and right if the topic is of interest.

classtimesailer
09-14-2016, 09:12 PM
I go out of my way to read:
TeleSur,
Press,
RT,
Antiwar,
Almanar,
I cannot avoid WSJ, NYT, NPR, Fox, etc. as it is here there and everywhere on most every thread.

bobdenver1961
09-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Drudge
Fox News
Real Clear Politics
Yahoo
Local TV Station or Local Paper website

sitzmark
09-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Daily email:
- WSJ headline summaries and news alerts. Link to topics of interest.
- Specific healthcare/R&D industry journal headlines and related professional forum summaries
- Individual.com headline summaries
- Federal Register Table of Contents

Breaking news mobile txt:
- CNN
- NYT
- Seattle Times

Cable:
- NECN
- CNBC
- Morning Joe (MSNBC) - Washington pulse
- Bret Baier/Brit Hume (FNC) - counter-view to Dem Propaganda Channel (DPC)
- Anderson Cooper (CNN) - counter-view to Rep Propaganda Channel
- Can't do Wolf Blitzer ... lots of inane questions and seems to take pleasure in repeatedly saying "body parts" when covering disasters.

Periodic pop-ins on the radio/tv freaks (left and right "extremists") when I just want to get a sense for the level of stupid pontification that exists.

And a step brother who was an imbedded NYT reporter in Afghanistan/Iraq for years and now writes for the New Yorker. He's sat down with all sides in the conflict(s) - good guys and bad guys - which makes him a good resource when trying to make some sense out of the non-sense that is the "middle east".

...and sometimes CSPAN

OtayBW
09-15-2016, 04:08 AM
As far as a news/talk radio is concerned, I think Tom Ashbrook of NPR's On Point is the best in the business. Insightful, engaging, not patronizing. Great show, IMO.

pjmsj21
09-15-2016, 04:45 AM
Timely post as my wife and I just subscribed, after many years without, to our local newspaper. We'll see how long this lasts but looking for a source for local news.

I am a big NPR fan when not listening to podcasts in the car and like PBS when we are in television watching mode, along with Charlie Rose. Online I like NYT and Google.

I think Fox and MSNBC really do a disservice to the public and only feed the extremes.

Llewellyn
09-15-2016, 04:59 AM
Most of our coverage is from the Aussie ABC (Auntie as she's affectionately known) - the TV bulletin at night and online during the day. It's not too bad although it does have it's critics. And I would never listen to or read anything connected with Rupert Murdoch.

redir
09-15-2016, 07:55 AM
A better question might be where do you NOT get your news. News 'entertainment' I won't even go near. And the powers to be that produce such shows have made that such a fine line that many people don't know what's news or opinion anymore.

One thing I will not tolerate in the news is emotional response from the news casters or reporters. That's why I like the very dry and boring PBS News Hour. Gwen Ifill might crack a smile once in a while but for the most part it's the closest thing you can get to hard old school TV news.

sitzmark
09-15-2016, 08:22 AM
The "problem" is that all programming is produced and scripted, so regardless of the personal bias injected/not injected by the person(s) delivering the content, a bias is generally evident simply by the subject matter selected to be presented and the (limited) content included. Typically the less time available, the more evident the bias. Every news outlet "plays" to the audience it serves - or eventually it ceases to have the financial resources to function.

Similarly the news/op infotainment programming isn't all bad. It does give light to what would otherwise be off-the-radar discourse. The fact that such programming continues - and often very successfully - indicates that the fringe isn't as fringe as we might think. Not a bad idea to stay abreast of and (try to) understand the driving motivations of that discourse. Easy to do in some cases ... tune in once and again in 3 years and you'd almost swear it was a rebroadcast. Never anything new - same old same old. But that's informative in itself.

A better question might be where do you NOT get your news. News 'entertainment' I won't even go near. And the powers to be that produce such shows have made that such a fine line that many people don't know what's news or opinion anymore.

One thing I will not tolerate in the news is emotional response from the news casters or reporters. That's why I like the very dry and boring PBS News Hour. Gwen Ifill might crack a smile once in a while but for the most part it's the closest thing you can get to hard old school TV news.

shovelhd
09-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Sitzmark nailed it. If anyone thinks that ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN etc. aren't as biased as Fox and MSNBC, then it's just that they are playing your tune. It's as bad today as in the yellow journalism days. Some would say worse.

Fox
CNN
NBC
Twitter
Boston Herald (local)

FlashUNC
09-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Paid subs to the NYT, FT and New Yorker. Work-paid for subs to the Economist and WSJ.

KRON4 for the insane local news, Chron for listicles, and RIP Oakland Tribune. Though the new East Bay Times is doing some great work on the Oakland police scandal.

deechee
09-15-2016, 09:31 AM
For the daily stuff, I usually scroll through CBC, the Montreal Gazette, BBC and NyTimes if I'm bored. In Canada, I find Globe and Mail better than the rest, although at least I don't have to jump through incognito browers to read the Toronto Star so that's convenient too.

When I'm taking the metro/subway, I'll usually read some longer articles from newsweek, and the rare subscription I have is for New Scientist for science news.

Tony T
09-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Google News (http://news.google.com)

slidey
09-15-2016, 11:19 AM
NPR
Democracy Now

Specific progs (podcasts):
On Point with Tom Ashbrook
NPR's Embedded
Reveal

superbowlpats
09-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Slowtwitch Lavender Room

EDS
09-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Sitzmark nailed it. If anyone thinks that ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN etc. aren't as biased as Fox and MSNBC, then it's just that they are playing your tune. It's as bad today as in the yellow journalism days. Some would say worse.

Fox
CNN
NBC
Twitter
Boston Herald (local)

Does anyone really view cable news as "news"? To me it is obviously intended as entertainment programming rather then news programming.

redir
09-15-2016, 01:55 PM
The "problem" is that all programming is produced and scripted, so regardless of the personal bias injected/not injected by the person(s) delivering the content, a bias is generally evident simply by the subject matter selected to be presented and the (limited) content included. Typically the less time available, the more evident the bias. Every news outlet "plays" to the audience it serves - or eventually it ceases to have the financial resources to function.

Similarly the news/op infotainment programming isn't all bad. It does give light to what would otherwise be off-the-radar discourse. The fact that such programming continues - and often very successfully - indicates that the fringe isn't as fringe as we might think. Not a bad idea to stay abreast of and (try to) understand the driving motivations of that discourse. Easy to do in some cases ... tune in once and again in 3 years and you'd almost swear it was a rebroadcast. Never anything new - same old same old. But that's informative in itself.

Yup bias is in everything, it's human nature and nothing can be done about it. That's why it helps to use multiple sources and as you suggest even listen to the nutty stuff. I'll stop in at Info Wars once in a while just to see where the crazies get their ideas and what they are talking about lately.

Elefantino
09-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Does anyone really view cable news as "news"? To me it is obviously intended as entertainment programming rather then news programming.
Nailed it.

Cable is cable.

News is news.

There is a difference and definable lines of demarcation. One seeks to uncover and inform; the other merely reinforces.

-holiday76
09-16-2016, 03:22 PM
facebook

cua90
09-16-2016, 08:09 PM
For a long time, arguably one of the better, more impartial newspapers (as in newspapers, pre-internet, the thing produced with paper and ink!) that broke great stories and had excellent content was the Christian Science Monitor.

The Monitor is such a good publication, I was disappointed when they stopped printing daily. Used to have a print subscription. The international coverage is particularly good and all coverage in general seems very unbiased. Give it a try, it is a nice change.

BobO
09-16-2016, 08:47 PM
I've noted that on most subjects there is a bias reinforcement built into virtually every source. Typically pieces that don't support the desired narrative are left out rather than untruths being added. If I'm interested in a subject I'll read about it from multiple different sources and I think that gives a better rounded understanding.

I will avoid "sources" such as Breitbart and Vox due to the extreme nature of editorializing on most any subject directly at the expense of fact. I can't stomach that level of activism in journalists clothing.

soulspinner
09-17-2016, 01:41 PM
What kills me is the most extreme 2 cable news programs seem like they get feed from different worlds..........:confused:

Don49
09-17-2016, 02:13 PM
I've been a subscriber to the LA Times for probably 30 years, but no more starting this morning. I miss it already but I couldn't stand the increasingly biased reporting any longer. I will miss the comics but turns out that all comics can be followed online and a custom page emailed to me daily.

I kept the WSJ for something to read over breakfast. And NPR, usually KUT or KCRW streamed to a Squeezebox.

But I still wonder, what will substitute for newspaper for packing and litter box purposes.

Repack Rider
09-19-2016, 10:02 AM
I started reading DailyKos (http://www.dailykos.com/) in 2003, when it was the first medium that pointed out that the "WMD" in Iraq were a lie. There are now over 1,500,000 users, but my UID number is #207 because I joined on the first day.

It is not strictly speaking a news site, but the news it carries has been vetted by thousands of readers, and while occasional falsehoods creep in, they are quickly squashed by the incredible crowd-sourced research.

It's easy to check the accuracy of news outlets by comparing past predictions with actual outcomes, and on this score DK out-performs every other source, especially the corporate media. They generally beat the mainstream media to a story by a couple of years. Example: how long did it take the rest of the country to admit what DK pointed out BEFORE the Iraq invasion, that the "WMD" were an excuse for a predetermined course of action, and like the boogeyman used to scare children and the uninformed, a complete fabrication?

Bob Ross
09-19-2016, 11:14 AM
- I hit the Google News tab at least twice a day and read any/every article with an engaging headline.*
- I read the local free paper (AM NewYork) 3 or 4 days a week just to get a quick snapshot of what's considered important around here.
- Once a week I read the Village Voice ...which is rarely fast enough to be "news" per se but does occasionally offer in-depth reporting on certain newsworthy issues.
- Once every month or two I scarf up all my neighbor's discarded issues of New Yorker magazine and read them cover-to-cover...which by the time I get to them are definitely not "news" but are far more in-depth than anything else I read.
- I almost never read a traditional newspaper anymore; just don't have the time, or, enough elbow room when I'm in those places when I do have time.

*One thing I hate about Google's analytics is that I notice they're targetting my demographic, and so it's been hard getting truly "objective" news reporting on my feed. Especially this election season I've been wanting to figure out where all the folks supporting the other candidate are getting their information [sic] and yet all Google seems to send my way are articles from the sources that already cater to my preferred polical outlook.