PDA

View Full Version : Can Floyd (and Phonak) pull it off?

Keith A
07-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Before the start of the TdF this year, I was really looking forward to the Jan and Ivan show. Even my youngest daughter was disappointed that Basso would not be competing. But this was not to be -- which has really changed the tour this year.

So what do you guys/gals think -- can Floyd and Phonak really pull this off? He was certainly isolated on stage 11 with no team mates to help him out -- which could be a problem since there is still a long ways to go to Paris. There is also the concern with the pain from his hip; either Paul or Phil commented yesterday that it really hurt for Floyd to stand and sprint -- so does that mean it is also painful for him to stand and climb? I noticed he did most of the climbing seated.

A couple of observations from watching the last couple of stages...

It certainly looks like T-Mobile had the horse power to support Jan in his quest for the Maillot Jaune. That is assuming they would have been able to lay their personal ambitions aside.

Secondly, I noticed that Floyd had a significant rise on his stem which gets his handlebars up higher. He is also using a higher arm position on his TT bike and I wonder if these are to somehow help him be more comfortable on the bike and reduce his hip pain.

It certainly will be interesting to watch.

saab2000
07-14-2006, 09:05 AM
I think Floyd woulda been a contenda even with JU and IB at the race.

Keith A
07-14-2006, 09:09 AM
I agree with you Saab, but in someways it might have been easier if they would have been there as it would have been T-Mobile and CSC doing most of the work in the peleton. This would allow Floyd to sit back and let them battle it out and pounce when he had the chance.

Fixed
07-14-2006, 09:13 AM
bro it looked like t-mobile was workin for their leader but he wasn't there . they are well trained but no jan.
I hope floyd wins cos this is his last shot . i.m.h.o.
cheers

Keith A
07-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Interesting note today about team Phonak from CyclingNews.com..."Phonak is stronger than it looked yesterday - Floyd explained this in the post-race press conference, that he told his teammates to take it easy yesterday."

Fixed
07-14-2006, 09:42 AM
bro here it is
cheers

Keith A
07-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Fixed, thanks for the picture! As you can see from his new color coordinated bike, he is using a stem with a positive rise and there isn't a big drop from the saddle to the bars like a lot of the other pros use. Matter of fact, the top of the hoods are almost even with the saddle -- that is assuming this picture was taken on level ground.

Roy E. Munson
07-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I still don't discount Kloden. T-Mobile did a lot of work early in yesterday's stage, with some better tactical racing, he's still a very real threat. I could be wrong, it happened once before...once.

Unlike Basso and Lance who took the race to their opponents, Landis seems happy enough to just ride with his opponents and not put them away like Lance would have, even Basso.

Avispa
07-14-2006, 10:35 AM
bro here it is
cheers

Have you guys noticed how high the stem on these BMC Phonak bikes is? High as in the angle of the stem.... I wonder what degree they are.

Climb01742
07-14-2006, 10:37 AM
i hope floyd does but the alps are a whole other kettle of phish.

Keith A
07-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Did you see my comment about this? This is certainly an atypical "pro" bike setup.

Climb01742
07-14-2006, 10:41 AM
i wonder if the bar height is to help open up his hip angle, to relieve discomfort???

Avispa
07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Did you see my comment about this? This is certainly an atypical "pro" bike setup.

Yeah K...

i wonder if the bar height is to help open up his hip angle, to relieve discomfort???

But I noticed this on almost all the Phonak bikes...

Chris
07-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Fixed, thanks for the picture! As you can see from his new color coordinated bike, he is using a stem with a positive rise and there isn't a big drop from the saddle to the bars like a lot of the other pros use. Matter of fact, the top of the hoods are almost even with the saddle -- that is assuming this picture was taken on level ground.

I noticed that while watching the coverage last night. Another with a positive rise was Vladimir Karpets. He has a monster stem that angles up too. Perhaps this is because the Pinarello carbons aren't custom? Maybe guys just want smaller frames, less headtube and no stack height? I don't know but it's interesting.

Big Dan
07-14-2006, 11:14 AM
How can he win with those handlebars............ :confused:
Only people that can't reach 25 miles on their own use those bars.........

bostondrunk
07-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Floyd will win easily. Regardless of how strong Kloden rides, they are not going to be able to drop Floyd in the mountains, and he won't lose time in the time trial. Tour is over.

Fat Robert
07-14-2006, 11:23 AM
you gotta move down here drunk

the fat man approves

atmo
07-14-2006, 11:23 AM
if floyd pulls it off, he'll finally have something
in common with lance armstrong atmo.

Fat Robert
07-14-2006, 11:26 AM
c'mon atmo

everybody has that in common

we've all pulled it off

J.Greene
07-14-2006, 11:55 AM

Maybe he is using the tour for what Atmo calls the preseason. he's dialing in his position for cross season.

JG

ergott
07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
No. Americans don't have the best of luck on Phonak.

Fixed
07-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I noticed that while watching the coverage last night. Another with a positive rise was Vladimir Karpets. He has a monster stem that angles up too. Perhaps this is because the Pinarello carbons aren't custom? Maybe guys just want smaller frames, less headtube and no stack height? I don't know but it's interesting.

bro I told my wife it lools like he's riding a mt. bike
cheers

bostondrunk
07-14-2006, 01:11 PM
bro I told my wife it lools like he's riding a mt. bike
cheers

did you call her 'bro'? :rolleyes:

Fixed
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
bro she's baby

PanTerra
07-14-2006, 01:51 PM

As in, "Bro," I told my wife, "it lools like he's riding a mt. bike."

bostondrunk
07-14-2006, 02:22 PM
As in, "Bro," I told my wife, "it lools like he's riding a mt. bike."

yeah, I got it, bro :banana:

Ray
07-14-2006, 02:34 PM
These guys are riding re-badged Rambouillets. No fenders - that would be the giveaway.

-Ray