PDA

View Full Version : I have a stinky chariot (aka how do I clean canvas?)

veggieburger
09-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Our bicycle trailer was sitting in our musty basement for too long and now it's a little odoriferous. I don't think I want my kids riding in there while the stink is so strong!

Shop vac? Leave outside in the sunshine? How did you freshen yours up?

ultraman6970
09-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Remove the canvas and wash it at the biggest machine they had in the laundry shop??

foo_fighter
09-12-2016, 04:12 PM
You could Mirazyme or Febreze.

zmudshark
09-12-2016, 04:47 PM
A couple of drops of Dawn, some water, and some white vinegar, along with a scrub brush.

Rinse, repeat. Leave in sun to dry.

geeter
09-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Borax. Used it on a stroller for mold and odor

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
09-12-2016, 07:37 PM
There is a spray called Nok-out that we use on our workout clothes that tames the perma-stink usually prevalent in polyester blends and wicking fabrics. It works well for pet odors too.

Peter P.
09-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Bring it to a car wash. Contact a boat facility, to find one that washes sails. Or do the same with a company that fabricates and installs awnings. If they don't do the work, I'm sure they'll sell the supplies or offer tips.

veggieburger
09-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Borax. Used it on a stroller for mold and odor

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Will start with this and report back. Good idea, thank you!

ColonelJLloyd
09-13-2016, 08:59 AM
A couple of drops of Dawn, some water, and some white vinegar, along with a scrub brush.

Rinse, repeat. Leave in sun to dry.

That's what I did with mine that I bought second hand. I may have used a little Simple Green in there.

benb
09-13-2016, 10:04 AM
I totally expected this to be a body fluids question. Hose and hand washing with dish detergent and/or laundry detergent have worked for me in the past with our Burley and/or the child car seats.

CampyorBust
09-13-2016, 10:10 AM
If tomato sauce works for skunks, then perhaps...

veggieburger
09-13-2016, 03:44 PM
I totally expected this to be a body fluids question. Hose and hand washing with dish detergent and/or laundry detergent have worked for me in the past with our Burley and/or the child car seats.

Ha, no poop in it...yet. :D

Going to try the borax route first. I like that's there's no real odor once it's all rinsed out.

Ken Robb
09-13-2016, 04:22 PM
I forget the brand but I have used a concentrated odor eliminator. It came in a small bottle with a dropper like eye drops. We put a few drops on a cotton ball and put the ball inside the stinky mildewed boots. The next day the odor was gone. It may have been called C-D, as in Concentrated Deodorant.

jc031699
09-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Mirazyme is the key to your problem
It is designed and sold for exactly this problem, which is stinky canvas or nylon from tents and backpacks.
Works BEAUTIFULLY!!!

Soak it, air dry, odor gone.
Does not damage the coating or degrade the fabric, which is key for outdoors gear.

I would be very hesitant to use and borax or detergent unless it is like Nikwax tech wash.

zmudshark
09-18-2016, 10:19 AM
If tomato sauce works for skunks, then perhaps...
If you've ever tried this, you know the answer to that question.:no:

Mirazyme seems like the product to use.

mmfs
09-18-2016, 11:50 AM
How about soaking or spraying with white vinegar and letting it dry?

It's worked magic for me on stinky helmets, hiking clothes, etc.