PDA

View Full Version : Life of drive train

roadie7
09-11-2016, 02:24 PM
I'm about to have my 3rd drive train installed on my bike with about 28,000 miles which means I'm getting about 14,000 miles/drive train. I was wondering about how many miles others are getting from their drive trains.

ripvanrando
09-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Chains last me around 4,000 miles. I could go longer but that is my average before I ditch them. I use 11 speed dura ace chains

I have more than one bike and one of the few things in life where I am anal retentive is keeping the chain, cassette, and rings clean. I have worn out rings but by then, it is time for something different. Way, way more than 14,000 miles though. 14,000 miles from rings suggest you are riding in sandy, dusty conditions or maybe not keeping the drivetrain clean.

SRAM 1190 cassettes seem to last a long time, too. I have one with over 10,000 miles on it and can't tell if it has any wear. Back in the day, freewheels did not last long at all.

palincss
09-11-2016, 03:06 PM
I'm about to have my 3rd drive train installed on my bike with about 28,000 miles which means I'm getting about 14,000 miles/drive train. I was wondering about how many miles others are getting from their drive trains.

What do you mean by "drive train"? Surely your crank arms and derailleurs aren't worn out in 14,000 miles, and to me they're certainly part of the drive train. If you were using a BSC square taper bottom bracket 14,000 miles probably wouldn't necessitate a replacement either. Chains and cassettes need replacement far more often than that, but the parts inside the freehub that the cassette mounts onto don't.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2016, 03:17 PM

A whole drivetrain or chainrings, chains and Cogsets?

bigbill
09-11-2016, 03:36 PM
You should probably clarify what you mean. I replace chains at 3000-3500 miles, at least two chains before I replace the cassette, and chainrings around 10-15K depending on conditions. The Record/Chorus stuff on the Pegoretti is first generation from late 2008. The wear parts get replaced, the remainder is original.

I've never replaced a drivetrain (cranks, derailleurs, shifters) because they were unserviceable, I upgrade because I want something new.

Seramount
09-11-2016, 04:25 PM
another random number generator thread...service life for various parts for different riders in different conditions is all over the map.

for me, a 150-lb rider who spins and rides only in dry conditions...

chains last 6-10+K mi, big rings 25-50K...never replaced a small ring.

cassettes, BBs...? dunno, never replaced any due to wear issues. have a 1992 DA8 group with at least 60K on those parts.

AngryScientist
09-11-2016, 04:38 PM
bottom bracket bearings, chainrings, cassettes, chains and cables are what i consider consumables that wear at various rates depending on conditions.

shifters, crank arms and FD/RD can last practically a lifetime. if you happen to run downtube shifters, a couple lifetimes.

carpediemracing
09-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Longest lasting -> shortest

Cranks. I replaced some (Campy NR/SR) square taper cranks because the tapers were elongated, probably from fiddling with BB, moving to another bike, overtightening, etc. I used up three sets of 167.5s. Current Cannondale SI cranks I remove all the time and they're 8 years old, maybe 15-20k miles, no wear issues.

BB. The old cup/cone NR/SR BB I'd leave too long and the races would get pitted. Cartridge or sealed bearing type (for Record/Chorus etc) I haven't worn one out, except for breaking one Ti axle BB. BB30 seems annual replacement.

Chainrings. Machined big rings seem annual (FSA etc), cold forged maybe 8-10 years (over 20k miles?).

Cassettes - every 3rd-4th chain.

Chains - 2000-2500 miles?

oldpotatoe
09-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Longest lasting -> shortest

Cranks. I replaced some (Campy NR/SR) square taper cranks because the tapers were elongated, probably from fiddling with BB, moving to another bike, overtightening, etc. I used up three sets of 167.5s. Current Cannondale SI cranks I remove all the time and they're 8 years old, maybe 15-20k miles, no wear issues.

BB. The old cup/cone NR/SR BB I'd leave too long and the races would get pitted. Cartridge or sealed bearing type (for Record/Chorus etc) I haven't worn one out, except for breaking one Ti axle BB. BB30 seems annual replacement.

Chainrings. Machined big rings seem annual (FSA etc), cold forged maybe 8-10 years (over 20k miles?).

Cassettes - every 3rd-4th chain.

Chains - 2000-2500 miles?

Ti spindle on 102mm BB/cart bearing? Steel, not ti. V1 SR hollow ti spindles did break, V2 not(solid) but that was the last ti spindle BB Campag made..just for info.

54ny77
09-12-2016, 09:39 AM
some of you guys really swap rings, cassettes & chains out every 2.5k-3k miles? i've got quite a bit more than that on some setups. no shifting performance degradation at all. then again, i tend to keep chains, cassettes & pulleys squeaky clean and oiled, even if the rest of bike is grubby, so maybe that helps ease the wear & tear?