PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11 Spd Shifter cleaning

Brian Cdn
09-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Was remounting 11 spd Campy shifters and replacing brake and gear inner cables this afternoon. The insides of the shifters have collected their fair share of road grime and grease. Instead of just replacing the cables I was wondering if flushing out the dirty grease out would improve shifter performance?

Anyone clean / degrease their shifters as part of general maintenance ?
What cleaning methods and cleaners do you use ? After degrease, what are the recommended lubricants to relube the shifter mechanisms ?

ultraman6970
09-10-2016, 10:36 PM
I have taken appart 11 brifters and are a lot easier to put together than the old record 10 speed ones, But if i had to just clean them w/o taking them appart I would try to use some spray oil, or maybe wd40 and then some oil. And then some grease in some parts.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Was remounting 11 spd Campy shifters and replacing brake and gear inner cables this afternoon. The insides of the shifters have collected their fair share of road grime and grease. Instead of just replacing the cables I was wondering if flushing out the dirty grease out would improve shifter performance?

Anyone clean / degrease their shifters as part of general maintenance ?
What cleaning methods and cleaners do you use ? After degrease, what are the recommended lubricants to relube the shifter mechanisms ?

I have also taken a fair number of 2009+ shifters apart and a take apart, clean and lube is not a bad idea. Getting the spring that centers the shift lever can be 'interesting'..but easiest if you take the hood off. I relube the disc innards with light grease, oil on the thumb button and shift lever pivot..just like 2008 and older. NO shift springs or spring carriers to wear or break. make sure a wee bit of loctite(blue) on small blts that hold the front and back together..make 'em tight.

Maybe because I've done hundreds of 2008 and older(first in 1992)and only a few dozen 2009+, But I think the older ones are way easier to take apart and put back together..completely, front to back.

Campagnolo and others have videos about disassemble and reassemble..don't re assemble 'em dry like they do in the video.

AND, don't spray WD-40 in there..it's a solvent, will wash lube away and then prevent future lube from 'sticking'..IMHO.

LAST OBTW-I offer a complete take apart/clean/lube on all ERGO(except PowerShift or Xenon based shifters-one higher gear at a time type), plus repair and 10s conversion for 1999+ 9s levers..I have all the small bits for 1992+ thru 2015/6..

pchisholm172@gmail.com