PDA

View Full Version : Power meter recommendation?

Lewis Moon
09-10-2016, 01:29 PM
Well...the Powertap is toast and the "vaunted" powertap customer service hasn't materialized; emails not answered, and when I finally got an answer the tech hadn't even read my original post before simply telling me my only option was a rebuild. I'm pretty much done with Saris. I need a power meter this season so..What's reliable, accurate and cheap? I don't like the single sided concept of the Stages.

ftf
09-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Well...the Powertap is toast and the "vaunted" powertap customer service hasn't materialized; emails not answered, and when I finally got an answer the tech hadn't even read my original post before simply telling me my only option was a rebuild. I'm pretty much done with Saris. I need a power meter this season so..What's reliable, accurate and cheap? I don't like the single sided concept of the Stages.

Pioneer, or Power2max I would say.

Lewis Moon
09-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Added: no Shimano.

fuzzalow
09-10-2016, 01:42 PM
What's reliable, accurate and cheap?

Pick any two from the above..and then any power meter on the market will do.

Neil
09-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Got to be Power2Max if you want "works" and "cheap".

Seriously, they're great units, I've had/currently got SRM, Powertap, Pioneer, Garmin, P2M and for ease of use and reliability it's a tie between P2M and Pioneer, but Pioneer have basically zero distribution here in the UK so P2M wins by default. Also, Pioneer are Shimano, so out for you I suspect.

ftf
09-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Added: no Shimano.

Power2max then.

thirdgenbird
09-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Based on eurobike coverage, it looks like praxis is going to offer up arms for power2max. I haven't used either but on paper, it looks like a great combo.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Praxis-works-micro-double-direct-mount-rings-16.jpg

I will take mine with some ee brakes and a Campag mini group ;)

Gummee
09-10-2016, 02:14 PM
I have a Verve Infocrank and a Pioneer

Both work well, but I could be talked out of the Verve. (comes with a head unit)

I'm jonesin for that new D/A 9100 crank/power meter now tho

M

kramnnim
09-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Quarq, SRM, P2M... They're cheap enough now that I don't know why one would consider some of the less established companies...

BdaGhisallo
09-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Quarq, SRM, P2M... They're cheap enough now that I don't know why one would consider some of the less established companies...

I'll second that. I know that SRM are old news and are on the more expensive end of the spectrum, but as a user since 1998, they are bomb-proof. If you want reliable service with an absolute minimum of fuss, stump up the extra cash for an SRM. They can be had pretty reasonably on the second hand market and SRM in Co Springs will gladly re-furb one for you with no hassle.

Lewis Moon
09-10-2016, 02:41 PM
The P2M with a Rotor 3d crank looks cool.

What about ease of use? Battery change, charge etc.

Neil
09-10-2016, 02:42 PM
I've had three SRM, sold them all, had three P2M, sold one.

Being able to swap the battery yourself rather than post the unit off is very useful, and you can buy 3 P2M for the cost of one SRM - and my experience has been that the P2M are more reliable than the SRM's I've owned.

I wouldn't turn away an SRM if you were trying to give me one, they are great PM's, but I wouldn't buy one with my own money, I'd buy a P2M and a nice pair of wheels instead.

AngryScientist
09-10-2016, 02:57 PM
anyone using the garmin power pedals?

Neil
09-10-2016, 03:05 PM
I have a pair on the shelf, bought them mainly for taking with me when travelling as I could stick them on a hire bike, but then ended up taking my bike (with it's own meter) with me. They seemed to work fine the few times I've used them.

djg21
09-10-2016, 03:28 PM
They have let me trade in two older hubs (old yellow wired) and purchase G3s at pretty decent discounts. Maybe it's just a matter of asking the right questions?

efaust_o
09-10-2016, 03:42 PM
I've decided I want the meter in my crank so P2M it is based on reviews and some postings here on Paceline. As soon as they go on sale I'm nabbing mine at the end of this month or next.

zank
09-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Riken AL. Amazing bang for the buck.

kramnnim
09-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Used SRMs are pretty cheap, but yeah...the batteries changes are not as easy as most. At least one forum member replaces them himself...

Quarqs are super easy, just unscrew a threaded door.

velotrack
09-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Quarq or SRM, seconded. With the used market out there, I see little reason to take a gamble from what's been established. Not to say power2max and the like aren't good - they seem awesome and test well. But you can probably get something used for cheaper that's 2-3 years old.

shovelhd
09-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Used SRMs are pretty cheap, but yeah...the batteries changes are not as easy as most. At least one forum member replaces them himself...

Quarqs are super easy, just unscrew a threaded door.

Even the PM6 based SRM batteries last 1800 hours. That's YEARS, and who wouldn't want their PM calibrated every three or so years anyway? The service is $120. They'll update the firmware, fix any small issues like seals or defective parts other than major stuff, and you get back a calibrated, super accurate power meter that will last a very long time.

My current SRM is a Rotor 3D+. As long as I have a 30mm BB, I'll have an SRM for it.

The one sided thing is way overblown.

shovelhd
09-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Riken AL. Amazing bang for the buck.

I'm hearing good things about this version. I had continual trouble with my Quarqs, but they've had a long time to perfect them.

makoti
09-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Happy with my Quarq Elsa

shovelhd
09-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Happy with my Quarq Elsa

Good for you. Maybe you got a good one.

kramnnim
09-10-2016, 05:40 PM
I have thousands of hours on various Quarqs... One went bad, and was quickly replaced under warranty. No other issues.

sitzmark
09-10-2016, 06:04 PM
anyone using the garmin power pedals?

Revised - no. Saw "power pedals" and not Garmin. Not enough chain clearance for me to use Vectors.

Selected P1 Powertap instead - they're working out well. Bikes in three different locations so just take my pedals with me. Have a couple of powertap hubs too but easier to travel with pedals. Hex wrench and ride. Also have a couple of older cycleops PT300 indoor cycles that won't transmit data, so toss the pedals on the spinner and BLE data to Zwift and Cycleops Virtual Training in off season. Regardless of activity at least numbers are consistent. Well .. Road anyway.

Rusty Luggs
09-10-2016, 07:10 PM
I considered Garmin vectors last year, but they were in the midst of a months- long firmware debacle at the time, with multiple beta releases that could only be downloaded if you had specific head units, and that solved one problem and created another. Garmin tech people on the vector forum were asking customers with beta firmware versions to send them data files so they could try to figure out what caused the issues people were complaining about. Folks on that forum were not a happy bunch, many complaining their power meters were essentially useless while all that was going on. Also, tech advice time after time for issues was “try it with fresh batteries”. No thanks.

I went for a power2max and it has been completely trouble free. Still on original battery, but initial battery install was fine, though battery cover is a bit unusual and you need to pay attention to the directions. Not quite just a screwed on cover – screws on the backside under rubber plugs, rubber o-ring the slips on over cover after it is screwed in place. There are cautions not to over tighten screws. Mine has been exposed to the rain a bunch of times including torrential downpour with inch of water on the road without ill effect.

Did a post-race cool down ride with a woman I know about a month ago, noticed she had a power tap wheel as well as Vectors – she said Garmin folks had replaced everything twice on her pedal system, and she was using her back-up power meter.

shovelhd
09-10-2016, 07:14 PM
I have thousands of hours on various Quarqs... One went bad, and was quickly replaced under warranty. No other issues.

Great. I've had three failures. We all have our stories. I've had SRM and PT problems too.

livingminimal
09-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Big stages fan here. Sort of wish I'd never gotten a Power Meter, though. I hate riding without one now and it shapes how I choose group sets, etc.

shovelhd
09-10-2016, 08:48 PM
I had the battery door and resultant flood problem on my Gen2 Stages. After it dried out and I replaced the door, not a single issue in any weather.

livingminimal
09-10-2016, 08:51 PM
I had the battery door and resultant flood problem on my Gen2 Stages. After it dried out and I replaced the door, not a single issue in any weather.

Yeah since I swapped for V2 Ive had zero problems, but the weather down here in Southern California is bike-part-friendly.

kramnnim
09-10-2016, 09:35 PM
I had gen 1 Stages battery door problems...just got the (free) replacement gen 2 pod this week. Hope it works...

laupsi
09-11-2016, 05:15 AM
Another vote for a SRM. SRM units are Rock solid, have had experience w/the others, over the long run there is no comparison for ease of use and accuracy.

Neil
09-11-2016, 05:43 AM
This is all anecdote, is the problem - I've had three SRM, one of which was brand new, and I had issues with two of them that required one to be fully rebuilt by SRM - which they did for free once I started communicating with SRM in Colorado Springs rather than SRM in Germany - and the one that I didn't have issues with had to have a new battery, which cost $200 and took three weeks.

When the choice as a Powertap, an SRM or a Quarq then it was SRM for me, now the choice has broadened I really can't see the point of SRM over P2M or Pioneer (and the latter allows "proper" Shimano cranks, the former "proper" Campag cranks, which to be fair SRM does too).

I used to only consider SRM for a new bike, now I don't consider them at all.

ripvanrando
09-11-2016, 05:47 AM
I have two Powertap hubs and am generally satisfied but not thrilled with them. They are accurate. They are cheap.

Hub 1 is 2.5% high using the static torque test whereas Hub 2 is 1 % low.

Hub 2 was purchased in December 2015 and the PM electronics died in June with around 6-7,000 miles. The bearings were shot. Repair of the electronics was covered under warranty and bearing replacement was at my cost. Turnaround was just under two weeks. Bearing replacement is not DYI on these hubs.

The only thing I really dislike is the cassette side cone/dust cover. It just falls off and trying to put a wheel into the dropouts in the dark is a PITA because the cone/dust cover falls off and then you have to find it.

kramnnim
09-11-2016, 06:54 AM
(and the latter allows "proper" Shimano cranks, the former "proper" Campag cranks, which to be fair SRM does too).

Those "9000" SRM arms do look kind of sad compared to the proper 9000 arms.