PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Swappa for phones?

makoti
09-10-2016, 09:58 AM
I really want a new phone. Not desperately, don't need one, just ready for a new one. But I am having trouble with the $672 tag Verizon put on the S7 I want. So trying to find it for less & bring it to the big V. Heard about Swappa (https://swappa.com/). Has anyone ever used them to buy a phone? How did it go? How was the phone? Like new? I see people sell new ones, but I'm wondering if Samsung considers this a full warranty item. I tried a refub from Bestbuy (always have had great luck with refurbs), and it had a spot in the camera that wouldn't go away so I returned it. Any other suggestions on how to cut the price of this thing would be great. I'm already w/verizon & am just upgrading my phone. They have nothing that will help me. Not looking for a different phone, just a less expensive, fully warranted S7.

8aaron8
09-10-2016, 10:33 AM
I have used Swappa twice now and have been pleased with both transactions. I would suggest buying phones listed as new or mint, though it sounds like you want new given the warranty. Once the phone arrives you are given a number of days to check everything out on it to make sure it meets your expectations. Swappa doesn't release the money till the buyer checks the transaction complete button so it does a great job keeping buyers happy and sellers honest.

makoti
09-10-2016, 05:53 PM
I have used Swappa twice now and have been pleased with both transactions. I would suggest buying phones listed as new or mint, though it sounds like you want new given the warranty. Once the phone arrives you are given a number of days to check everything out on it to make sure it meets your expectations. Swappa doesn't release the money till the buyer checks the transaction complete button so it does a great job keeping buyers happy and sellers honest.

I figure it needs to be new, retail for a warranty & even then I'm not sure Samsung would honor it. Do they honor new Ebay purchases?

roguedog
09-11-2016, 07:15 AM
I've used Swappa a few times for phones and tablets. All been good transactions. It's where I go for used phones and tablets.

I'd recommend it but the full warranty requirement might be your snag.

smontanaro
09-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Heard about Swappa (https://swappa.com/). Has anyone ever used them to buy a phone?

Used it to replace my HTC One. The transaction went okay. The phone was fine, but Sprint was a PITA when I tried to activate it. Apparently, it was still associated with the seller, and Sprint thought it was for one of their contract networks (the off-brand services which use Sprint's network). Can't remember who that was now, but third time was a charm, and the phone was eventually activated for me. The Sprint experience was so bad, I was actually thinking the phone was stolen (the seller wasn't terribly responsive either). But, there was nothing wrong with the phone or the seller, just Sprint. :mad:

It's now starting to act a bit flaky, so I'm thinking it's time to look for a new-to-me phone again. Amazingly, I've been with Sprint since the early 1990s. I've repeatedly considered switching to another provider, but every time I've looked, the alternatives always looked just as bad, so I punted and stayed with Sprint.

edit: One other thing. Since you're after an S7 and Samsung just recalled their Galaxy Note 7 with the exploding batteries, prices on the S7 might hold up for awhile. I believe the S7 is what they are offering people as a replacement, at least in some cases. If you have your eye on an S7, you might want to hold out until the recall blows over.