PDA

View Full Version : Mavic love.......or hate

GParkes
09-10-2016, 06:29 AM
So, I've read here as well as other places of the questionable quality/durability of Mavic hubs (recent production). Are there any particular models or generations of hubs that people would say to stay away from? I'm intrigued by the Exalith feature on some of the rim offerings, but a little wary of the wheels as a whole based upon some of the hub criticism. Anyone want to way in on their products? Experience? Thanks.

Cicli
09-10-2016, 06:35 AM
I have a set of the SLE's. They are nice wheels and look great. I havent had any issues with them.

oldpotatoe
09-10-2016, 06:43 AM
So, I've read here as well as other places of the questionable quality/durability of Mavic hubs (recent production). Are there any particular models or generations of hubs that people would say to stay away from? I'm intrigued by the Exalith feature on some of the rim offerings, but a little wary of the wheels as a whole based upon some of the hub criticism. Anyone want to way in on their products? Experience? Thanks.

FTS-L hub, using a plastic bushing in the base of the FH body and 2 pawls..will be fine with regular service..as in frequent removal, clean and lube with oil(I use Mobil 1)..These FH bodies bushings wear, get noisy, get loose but are easily replaced for not a ton of $.

The latest, direct drive, ratchet disc type, ala DT(patent over) is much MUCH better design. BUT as with all 'wheelsouttaboxes', these use unique to these wheels, rims, spokes, hubs and in a few years, if you cook a rim or break a spoke..the manufacturer may or may not, have a replacement. It would be a shame to have a $zillion rear wheel become a wind chime for a $7 spoke..

IMHO, if ya gotta get a 'factory' wheel, I think Campag/Fulcrum and shimano are better choices..

BTW-altho I won't build with mavic rims..'hate' is a pretty big word, again, IMHO. Don't 'hate' mavic rims but I sure wish they would fix their noisy seam wedge and noisy eyelets, an issue they have had on OpenPros for almost 2 decades BUT rims just aren't a priority for mavic..surprised they still make rims..

simonov
09-10-2016, 01:35 PM
My Mavic stuff has stood up to tons of abuse. My Fulcrum stuff has also stood up to the same abuse, but looks (and sounds) a bit worse for wear than the Mavics. In my experience, I give the slight nod to Mavic, though it's splitting hairs. I'm sure folks like old potatoe see many, many more wheels than me and have a broader dataset to pull from.

pdmtong
09-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Mavic is an easy choice with multiple price points and the low spoke count aesthetic. Plus they are bomber (tandem and cx worthy) and the body (either shimano/sram or campy) is 9/10/11 compatible.

I've had the various traditional width variants such as ES, SL, SL Premium, Elite (old), Elite (new), Aksium. Reasonable weight, good durability, set and forget.

That said, campagnolo hubs seem to spin better/longer. A long time ago I did not like the G3 lacing aesthetic, but I am warmer to it now. Love my Bora and Mille.

One day when my eTAP Sarto or C60 shows up I will run it with Boras/shimano body.

ftf
09-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Plus they are bomber (tandem and cx worthy) and the body (either shimano/sram or campy) is 9/10/11 compatible.

I've had a Mavic Ksyrium SL, front wheel explode on me, luckily I wasn't going very fast.

I wouldn't call them bomber, personally. Most of their wheels have a 250lb weight limit, which I was under when it exploded.

They did give me a new wheel though, which I sold.

joev
09-10-2016, 04:06 PM
I would never buy a set of Mavic wheels... Ksyrium SL's (with the white spoke) came on my bike I bought new. First, a back spoke popped, then a front, then the white back one! Not all at once but in each case I nursed the ride home, took the bike in, and waited for the order of a replacement. Then another back one popped and the wheelset was sent to Mavic for a respoke of both front and back. I got the new set back and...pop...a rear spoke went. That was it. Got the spoke replaced and sold the wheels.

The spokes seemed to mostly break near the rim. One may have popped at the hub.

I don't think I am a clydesdale at 160 lbs and have ridden long enough to know how to unweigh a bike, avoid potholes, and look for a smooth line. I just don't trust those "aluminum" spokes.

parco
09-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Back in the day our cycling team had an arrangement with Mavic. (I don't think it was a real sponsorship). Anyway we gota really good deal on Mavic stuff. I am still using Mavic 501 and 505 hubs on Open Pro rims and they roll great. I've never had a prblem with any of it. I also have a set of Keith Bontrager rolled down Mavic MA 40's that I use on my mountain bike. They are great as well.

El Chaba
09-10-2016, 04:29 PM
If you recognise that the freehub is a service item, I find the Mavic hubs to be extremely long lasting. I know that Mavic recommends mineral oil, but I use a lighter synthetic grease on both the freehub bushing and the pawls. The trick is to not use too much....just enough to do the job. It tends to stay in place a little better than oil alone. It might be a problem in really cold conditions, but I haven't had trouble down to slightly below freezing.

Ti_on_Steel
09-10-2016, 06:53 PM
I had Ksyriums and I found they only lasted about 2 winters before the brake tracks became concave and unsafe.

Cicli
09-10-2016, 06:57 PM
I had Ksyriums and I found they only lasted about 2 winters before the brake tracks became concave and unsafe.

Isnt winter sort of hard on wheels?
It is here, salt, sand and such.

soulspinner
09-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Open pros with noises.....Mavic skewers were and are fine. :rolleyes:

bewheels
09-11-2016, 04:22 AM
As OldPotato stated, pre-2016 Mavic freehub* require a little bit a maintenance. It is very simple to do. I relubed mine about 2 times a year and never had to replace the bushing - I have about 9,000 paved/dirt/mud/rain/cold/hot miles on it. The wheels themselves have held up very well in all conditions.
With the relube you can also make these nearly silent.

I also have a pair of 2016 Ksyrium Pro SL Discs. These have the new freehub. These wheels are awesome. They currently have ~3500 miles on them. Smooth pavement, dirt roads, rocky sudo-road + single track, a 4 hour rain/dirt ride that cover every inch of the bike with fine grit for 4 hours, etc, etc.
The freehub is noisier then the old Mavic set-up. It is inline with a DT hub (because it is essentially the same).

*I don't know if all the 2016 Mavic wheels have the new freehub. I would not assume that just because they are 2016 that they have it. The new version may only be used on the upper-end models.

Edit: Just looked at their site. They offer the new freehub ("Instant Drive 360") on the mid models and up.

ultraman6970
09-11-2016, 11:12 AM
IMO if if wasnt because mavic makes pretty much impossible to find parts to repair their stuff, that makes really hard for somebody to drop 500+ bucks in a set of their wheels, specially because their reliability (in each of the components of their wheels) is all over the place. U ask one guy it will say one thing, u ask somebody else and the opinion is at the opposite side of the coin.

GParkes
09-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the input gents. I have two pair of Fulcrums that have never hit the truing stand (one of those pair raced two editions of Battenkill too). I am pleased with them and a pair of HED Stingers I have. Thinking ahead to next season and doing some homework. Go with what ya know???

Mr. Pink
09-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Well, as long as this thread is up, I'll just chime in and say that my kysirium Elite rear was acting up in a strange way recently, and my local shop guy greased it up pretty well inside the hub, and it was nice and smooth and much quieter today for 40 miles, so, from now on, since I have them on both bikes, it's going to be an annual lube.

Ken Robb
09-12-2016, 03:52 PM
I guess I have been very lucky because I've had more wheels with Open Pro rims on Shimano and Campy hubs and I've never had a problem or any strange noises from them.