PDA

View Full Version : Keeping gel inserts in place

Robbos
09-08-2016, 03:34 PM
I've tried different techniques over the years to keep gel inserts, the kind that go under bar tape, in place.
1. Electrical tape, which ends up getting less sticky and more slimy over time.
2. Double sided tape to keep it in place and adhere to bar tape as well. Use industrial carpet tape. Best solution thus far. Until you have to redo it, that is.
3. Saran wrap. Believe it or not, got this tip from a pro mechanic. Works ok, but once again gel inserts will eventually migrate. Irritating to set up too.
But keeps freshness in!

Any secret tips better than the above mentioned?

ColonelJLloyd
09-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Interested too. Bought some Fizik gels, but haven't installed them yet.

If cling film works the best of the options you mention, how about wrapping it a couple times and then hitting it with a hair dryer to tighten it further?

Dead Man
09-08-2016, 03:42 PM
3M "VHB" Tape RP16(F), they make several thicknesses, and the RP16 is, AFAIK, the thinnest, at .016"

Double-sided tacky tape

false_Aest
09-08-2016, 04:44 PM
I wonder how spray adhesive would work.

That's my answer for everything.

CampyorBust
09-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Never had an issue with mine, don't use them anymore. Free Fizik bar gel to anyone who wants them, just cover the shipping.

djg21
09-08-2016, 05:36 PM
I've tried different techniques over the years to keep gel inserts, the kind that go under bar tape, in place.
1. Electrical tape, which ends up getting less sticky and more slimy over time.
2. Double sided tape to keep it in place and adhere to bar tape as well. Use industrial carpet tape. Best solution thus far. Until you have to redo it, that is.
3. Saran wrap. Believe it or not, got this tip from a pro mechanic. Works ok, but once again gel inserts will eventually migrate. Irritating to set up too.
But keeps freshness in!

Any secret tips better than the above mentioned?

I use HandleBra on top of the Fizik bar gel. I wrap the bar gel and bars with cloth hockey tape (recommended by HandleBra). I then install the HandleBra over the hockey tape. The hockey tape secures the bar gel and keeps the HandleBra from migrating. It works great.

parallelfish
09-08-2016, 06:45 PM
What brand of electrcal tape are you using? Try 3M 33+. Does not get slimy, retains its stickiness and comes off clean.

jmeloy
09-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Never had an issue with mine, don't use them anymore. Free Fizik bar gel to anyone who wants them, just cover the shipping.

Pm coming!

pdmtong
09-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Interested too. Bought some Fizik gels, but haven't installed them yet.

If cling film works the best of the options you mention, how about wrapping it a couple times and then hitting it with a hair dryer to tighten it further?

one thing to try is to cut strips of cling film, and tighten the gel to the bar using multiple ribbons of film not just a single piece. you will get better tension and more precise tightening.