PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for helmet that can hold a rear light

kevinvc
09-08-2016, 02:15 PM
I like to have relatively low powered lights on my helmet during winter months. I have stronger head and tail lights on my bike, but I think having a non-blinding light at greater height that moves around helps draw attention.

The problem is that many helmets don't have venting slots or a rear strap that accommodate this, or they cost a ton of money. I have a Giro Indicator that fits well and offers the same breathability and protection as an expensive helmet, but there's not a good way to put a rear light on it. I'm not willing to spend over $100 just for this feature and am hoping that someone here might have some advice.

Winter is coming.

54ny77
09-08-2016, 02:23 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2024434&postcount=38

brockd15
09-08-2016, 02:28 PM
I use a Bell Sweep and added a velcro strap around the plastic piece where the adjusting wheel is. I clip a Cygolite Hotshot to the velcro strap, it works great.

Edit....this is mine.

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww54/brockd15/Bikes/Other%20Bikes/Other/6318c83b-0200-4814-a29a-99e402d38664_zpsq4nrhxip.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww54/brockd15/Bikes/Other%20Bikes/Other/20160908_123803_zpsemx4bt3j.jpg

JWDR
09-08-2016, 02:32 PM
I have an Abus commuter helmet with a built in multifunction rear light. It's light enough and breathes well for its intended purpose.

https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Helmets/Urban/Pedelec

sonicCows
09-08-2016, 02:36 PM

91Bear
09-08-2016, 05:47 PM
I have an old Bell Metropolis helmet that has a loop on the back for a light. Cool commuter helmet but too fred for a road bike.

Peter P.
09-08-2016, 07:00 PM
I like to have relatively low powered lights on my helmet during winter months. I have stronger head and tail lights on my bike, but I think having a non-blinding light at greater height that moves around helps draw attention.

The problem is that many helmets don't have venting slots or a rear strap that accommodate this, or they cost a ton of money. I have a Giro Indicator that fits well and offers the same breathability and protection as an expensive helmet, but there's not a good way to put a rear light on it. I'm not willing to spend over $100 just for this feature and am hoping that someone here might have some advice.

Winter is coming.

You're absolutely right; having a separate taillight at or near head height helps define the size of the object a car is approaching. A single taillight tells the driver nothing about the size or shape of what they see.

I'd even consider a WHITE flashing taillight in addition to a red light. That would get peoples' attention.

For sure, the problem is the lack of choice for helmet mounted flashers or helmets designed to accommodate a typical flashing taillight.

commonguy001
09-08-2016, 07:10 PM
I have an old Bell Metropolis helmet that has a loop on the back for a light. Cool commuter helmet but too fred for a road bike.

I have one of these too and also have the rain cover for it, super Fred but works good on wet and dark commutes

AJosiahK
09-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Lazer sells a cheap addition to most of their helmets, adapted for secure and ease. Built for helmet installation and correct placement

Not super sure how bright they are, but I'm one to have a night commuter set up with a rear generator light in the non drive side chai stay, one bright blinky on the seatpost and optimally one on the helmet or higher than the post one.....

I ride through various areas, busy Cambridge and Somerville into dark but busy residential suburban areas like Belmont Lexington and concord.... Etc

schwa86
09-08-2016, 07:39 PM
I too have an atmos. I use a zip tie through two of the back vent holes -- the blink sort of gets ratcheted in to a depressed area on the back. Works quite well. Happy to send a pic if of interest.

CampyorBust
09-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Lazer sells a cheap addition to most of their helmets, adapted for secure and ease. Built for helmet installation and correct placement

Not super sure how bright they are

They are terrible dont bother. Not very bright and tiny, no one sees it anyways especially in a road riding position, if you ride a hybrid then maybe, still tiny and not too bright. Neat idea bad execution.

pitonpat
09-08-2016, 07:53 PM
I wear a Louis Garneau helmet which came with a tiny round led light which is attached with velcro to the adjustment wheel on the fit adjustment. They call it the Spiderlock Vision. Its very small and unobtrusive in appearance, but is an effective light. Available on the LG website- $7.00 if I remember clearly. Maybe you could retrofit (glue) a matching velcro disc to your helmet to which you could attach the Vision.

mmfs
09-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Bell Muni

Cornfed
09-08-2016, 10:43 PM
I'd try one of these ...

https://lumoshelmet.co/

zennmotion
09-09-2016, 07:10 AM
Just put a zip tie loop through the holes in the rear and you can hook just about any light there.

carpediemracing
09-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Bell Muni

I got one of these for myself, an older one. Has a strap mount for a regular blinkie of your choice.

One heads up. I wear a size L/XL Bell Gage/Volt. I got a previous generation L/XL Muni for cold weather rides/races (less vents/etc) and it's noticeably smaller. If you're thinking Muni either try one on first or go larger. The older type, if a shop has some left overs, has built in LED lights in the rear straps but no dial adjuster.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/540x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/u/muni_hivis-ylw_b-light2.png

kevinvc
09-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, definitely some good advice here. I might see if the velcro loop add-on works with my current helmet. If not, I'll check out some of these other suggestions.

Bostic
09-09-2016, 01:48 PM
I use a planet bike Blinky 3 that is zip-tied to the back of my Giro Atmos II helmet. The brighter super flash would not fit but this, in combo with the seat post mounted light works well.

Waldo
09-09-2016, 11:25 PM
Blue blinkies are available from Road ID and on Amazon and those really get drivers' attention. Road ID blinky plays well with my Giro Aeon.