PDA

View Full Version : New Member Alert: Fookie! (and I need bike advice also)

Fookie
09-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Hello fellow Paceliners! I've been lurking for years and finally registered a few weeks ago. I was an avid mountain biker back in the early to mid-90's and eventually migrated to road cycling. 8 years ago, I had my first child and made the decision to stay at home with the kids while they were pre-K. This of course led to me eventually hanging up my bike for a long hiatus. This summer, my son (now 7) has really taken a liking to cycling after we bought him a used Trek MT220. In fact, he rocked 50 miles last week! Mighty impressive for his age. I'm still working on convincing my 4 year old daughter, but I've got some time and she has plenty of continued exposure to cycling.

Now that I just turned 40 and have one kid in elementary school and the other in pre-school for three days a week, I'm hoping to ease my way back in to cycling.

For my 40th birthday present, my wife and I agreed to get a nice bike for me to ride while the kids are off to school. I've been scouring the forums, the bay, and c-list for a bike over the last three months. I'm currently looking for a do it all type bike as this will be my only bike. I'm thinking a Cyclocross bike would fit the bill well. I've looked at a used Seven steel Mudhoney, a new All-City Mr Pink, and a few used shoot-at-the moon Ti Sevens, Independents, and Moots. My budget is $2000, but I'm willing to stretch it a little if it's something I really love. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

I would be using them for mostly pavement, but some gravel and dirt trails (as I live near the C&O Canal). My previous bikes included: Cannonade F400, Trek 2000 road bike, and a Trek Y-22 (all of which I recently sold to fund this new purchase).

I look forward to getting to know you guys!

jlwdm
09-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Welcome as an official forum member. Good luck with your bike search, but unfortunately I do not have any bike advice for you.

Jeff

Ken Robb
09-07-2016, 09:21 PM
what size?

staggerwing
09-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Not going to tell you what to buy, but rather suggest you halve your original budget to ~$1k, even if that means used. Thing is, you are just coming back into the game and don't know quite what you want nor what might work for your situation.

In general, I like the idea of a cyclocross bike, but even within the category, there are options from a race rig to something far more casual. I'm not too picky, but like something that can take a 32mm tire, plus fenders, and lets me have the top of my bars no more than 5cm below my saddle surface is a good start.

I'm not much of a material snob either, having bikes, in steel, titanium, and just recently added, aluminum. I have nothing against carbon, but as a bigger guy, don't find much fascination with minor weight savings, increased cost, and reduced ability to handle non-riding mistreatment.

Likewise, I have both Shimano and Campy equipped bikes, and can honestly admit that both are quite good. Might be easiest/most logical, to look at something with a Shimano Tiagra or 105 groupset.

Fookie
09-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Jeff: Thanks for the warm welcome!

Ken: I'm about a 54-55cm. That 55cm All-City Mr Pink fit really well (56 ETT) as well as a 54cm Cannonade Super Six. I must have ridden 8 bikes yesterday.

Stagger: Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty open to that as well and oddly enough, the bike shop told me the same thing. I would certainly prefer used as I get much more value for money.

dustyrider
09-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Welcome aboard.
Now that you're officially a member, my only suggestion for you is to make room for more than just one bike!

Tickdoc
09-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Welcome mr fookie, sir. Congrats on the kiddos and for being the stay at home guy.

That is some impressive riding from a youngin!

Just sit tight and the right one will show up on the boards here soon.

Oh, and start posting like a madman so you can respond to it when it does show up.

staggerwing
09-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Don't know this fellow Paceliner, but here is an option, well under your target price, and in your area. Notes that it has been ridden hard, but as long as it is straight, and everything functions properly, it would be a fine way to reenter cycling, and you wouldn't feel a need to treat it with kid gloves.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=192975

soulspinner
09-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Welcome aboard.
Now that you're officially a member, my only suggestion for you is to make room for more than just one bike!

Um THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MattTuck
09-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Welcome aboard.

In the case you describe, I think you've got it pretty much right. You want a bike that will give you the maximum spectrum of riding. A frame that can take up to CX size tires, but will also be comfortable on the road if you put different wheels, with road tires on it, that would make sense. Possibly even clearance for a fenders and you could throw a rack on it for getting around town. It would be a true do it all bike.

However, don't fall into the trap that you NEED a cx bike to ride gravel. A regular road bike with 28s or 32s (if they fit) is enough to ride 98% of dirt and gravel. Unless you are planning to do 20+ mile rides JUST on gravel, I wouldn't be too worried about getting a CX type of rig.

akelman
09-08-2016, 09:07 AM
I've got a nice Vanilla that's a bit too small for me but probably a bit too big for you.

akelman
09-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Anyway, here's your bike: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=192985

daker13
09-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Not going to tell you what to buy, but rather suggest you halve your original budget to ~$1k, even if that means used. Thing is, you are just coming back into the game and don't know quite what you want nor what might work for your situation.

Welcome! I concur with staggerwing: you can get a pretty nice used bike for under a grand. I'd certainly go with steel, but that's just me.

jtbadge
09-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Mr. Pink with 32s will crush gravel. That'd be my recommendation. Awesome all-around bike, and well equipped from the factory.

thegunner
09-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Welcome! I concur with staggerwing: you can get a pretty nice used bike for under a grand. I'd certainly go with steel, but that's just me.

yeah agreed, but that indy fab that ari posted...

Ken Robb
09-08-2016, 10:14 AM
One of Rivendell's bikes might suit you. Rambouillet, Romulus, Homer Hilson, etc. They take tires up to 700x32 and maybe a bit wider too.

beeatnik
09-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Fookie, I like you SAHD style.

Jad
09-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Welcome--I hope you're enjoying bike anticipation.

As others have said, and as you probably know, you certainly don't have to limit yourself to cyclocross bikes; clearance for up to 28 or 30 can do a lot.

But considering your background, I do think you'd want to pick a frame with clearance for bigger tires, like up to 35 or 38mm. It might be nice for you to have the option to explore some single track or even just rougher dirt roads if/when the resting mtn biker in you comes out. I ride club road rides, commute, cruise dirt roads, and race 'cross on my C'dale caad9x--it's a great fit for me and I enjoy the versatility.

Something like that steel Mudhoney you mentioned could be right on if a good fit (I saw that listing--beautiful bike), though you may not have much use for tubulars right now.

Have a great time riding/figuring out what works for you.

daker13
09-08-2016, 11:34 AM

Fookie
09-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Thank you again for such a warm welcome! I love all the suggestions! I was in love with this year's Mr Pink especially since they moved away from the pressed fit BB and finally made a Mr Pink in pink. It also rode extremely well and fit the best out of about 10 bikes I've tried.

With that said, I have agreed to meet up with a fellow forumite tomorrow to purchase his bike. It has a very similar geo to the 55cm Mr. Pink I rode and it has everything I'm looking for. I had to go a quite bit over my initial budget, but in the end I will most likely not need to change anything and my love for this bike will certainly be worth it in the end. It's been something I've lusted after for a while......20 years to be exact.

I'll have to post pictures for the "big reveal" tomorrow afternoon! If only you could see my grin now......

mhespenheide
09-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Late to the party here, but if your planned purchase falls through, you could do a lot worse than a Lemond Poprad. It would take some looking since they've been out of production for a decade, but they ride great and fit relatively big tires. I've seen them listed as low as ~$400, but up to ~$800 depending on any upgrades and/or condition.

Welcome!

jtakeda
09-09-2016, 11:01 PM
Late to the party here, but if your planned purchase falls through, you could do a lot worse than a Lemond Poprad. It would take some looking since they've been out of production for a decade, but they ride great and fit relatively big tires. I've seen them listed as low as ~$400, but up to ~$800 depending on any upgrades and/or condition.

Welcome!

Well.... I'm going to build up my Frances and if its to my liking I'm selling my Poprad disc.... Fits 42-43s

Fookie
09-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Okay, I just got back from meeting up with a forum member and bought his Moots PsychloX (with Alpha Q, Campy Athena/Chorus/Record 11 mix, Southern WheelsWorks wheels, and mini TRP brakes). It was in great condition! It was a pleasure to meet another PL member in person. Very nice guy.

It was very dark when I got home, so I'll have to post pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

I still need to get a saddle and some pedals soon so I can ride this beautiful, new-to-me bike!

Matthew
09-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the forum! First Moots? I have two and love them. Looking forward to the pics. Enjoy!!

Jad
09-10-2016, 09:23 PM
That's a nice way to end the search--nicely done.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Okay, I just got back from meeting up with a forum member and bought his Moots PsychloX (with Alpha Q, Campy Athena/Chorus/Record 11 mix, Southern WheelsWorks wheels, and mini TRP brakes). It was in great condition! It was a pleasure to meet another PL member in person. Very nice guy.

It was very dark when I got home, so I'll have to post pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

I still need to get a saddle and some pedals soon so I can ride this beautiful, new-to-me bike!

Well done sir...enjoy it...You have experienced the joy of a great rig, that was probably way less $ because of the 'gotta have disc brakes!!' hypervenilation..it'll work great, ride great, last forever.

For a great review of how great a ti rig with mini Vs can be..search out Velotel's posts..

Fookie
09-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the compliments! Yes, this is my first Moots (and actually my first Campy, first Ti, etc...). I finally got a chance to put on some temporary pedals and saddle to take it around the block a few times and make some fit adjustments.

It really accelerates like no other bike I've been on. Currently it's on road wheels with a 27mm tires. The ride is really nice and it feels really stable. I'm looking to get a nice saddle for it and have seen suggestions for the Fizik Aliante R3. A good fit of saddle for me is a 142mm and I ride more "bull" style as Fizik likes to call it. As I increase my flexibility, that may change. Any suggestions are welcome!

Finally, I got a poor iPhone picture of my new bike:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/fookieunc/IMG_0050_zpsodiznce6.jpg

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

dustyrider
09-11-2016, 10:55 PM
It even matches the tool chest! Good score.

the bottle ride
09-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Bike looks really good - and you have a versatile ride that can take 32's!

Fookie
09-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Thank you, Bottle and Dusty! I got my saddle today: Brooks Swift Ti! Now on to getting a good set of pedals.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/fookieunc/DSC_2892_zpsb4x17ka7.jpg

Fookie
09-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Saddle is on and the first ride is complete! I'll need to do some fine tuning of the fit as my lower/mid-back is a little sore. I was afraid the saddle would be a pain to settle in, but it was great for my 3 hour ride. I did bust the bearing on my right pedal (it was driving me crazy after it broke half-way through the ride). It was only meant to be temporary anyway, so I'll just have to find a new pair a little quicker than expected. Here are a few photos from today:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/fookieunc/GOPR0135_zpsgasvamxl.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/fookieunc/GOPR0126_zpsuakrg1xu.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/fookieunc/GOPR0118_zpsqdylmd2c.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o229/fookieunc/GOPR0103_zpsnedogxpy.jpg