PDA

View Full Version : Wheel hop, how much is acceptable?

gregblow
09-07-2016, 06:47 PM
I just bought a new Tarmac that came with carbon Roval wheels. I have noticed a wheel hop in the front wheel. Can any of you wheel guys explain wheel hop and what would be acceptable? i am not too pleased with it, and may go the return, warrantee route.

thanks.

djg21
09-07-2016, 06:51 PM
I just bought a new Tarmac that came with carbon Roval wheels. I have noticed a wheel hop in the front wheel. Can any of you wheel guys explain wheel hop and what would be acceptable? i am not too pleased with it, and may go the return, warrantee route.

thanks.

What do you mean when you say you "noticed it"? How did you notice it? How much of a hop is it?

415km
09-07-2016, 06:54 PM
How much is there? If you can see it without a truing stand then it's likely too much. .5mm is ok if you have it on a stand but it does vary....I'm assuming you removed the tire, an ill mounted tire can hop quite a bit

Cicli
09-07-2016, 07:03 PM

thanks.

If its new and it bothers you have them take care of it. Make sure its not in the tire though.

gregblow
09-07-2016, 07:06 PM
thanks guys, i notice it when i hold the front end up and spin the wheel.

Louis
09-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Ride if first then decide.

gregblow
09-07-2016, 07:28 PM
i have ridden it once and could feel the hop

djg21
09-07-2016, 07:31 PM
thanks guys, i notice it when i hold the front end up and spin the wheel.

Why don't you bring the wheel to the shop where you bought the bike and ask them to put it on a truing stand with the tire uninstalled. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the tire. OEM tires tend to be garbage even on decent bikes. If it's a bad tire, maybe ask the shop if they'll sell you a good set of tires at a discount. If there is a hop in the rim greater than a couple mm, you can ask the dealer what it recommends. I can't imagine that it would have an issue getting you a warranty replacement if there is an appreciable hop.

gregblow
09-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Why don't you bring the wheel to the shop where you bought the bike and ask them to put it on a truing stand with the tire uninstalled. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the tire. OEM tires tend to be garbage even on decent bikes. If it's a bad tire, maybe ask the shop if they'll sell you a good set of tires at a discount. If there is a hop in the rim greater than a couple mm, you can ask the dealer what it recommends. I can't imagine that it would have an issue getting you a warranty replacement if there is an appreciable hop.

Thanks. i will do this tomorrow. I guess the 75 dollar sworks tire could be bad. thanks again.

Louis
09-07-2016, 07:45 PM
You should be able to tell if it's the tire or the wheel while it's still on the bike.

Just spin it and look at something on the brakes. Watch the rim, then watch the tire. It should be obvious.

vqdriver
09-07-2016, 07:49 PM
could just swap tires front to back and see if the hop moves with it. either way, if it's demonstrable, have the shop replace under warranty. from my experience, specialized has been pretty easy to deal with warranty wise. but since a tire is considered a consumable, sooner = better.

shovelhd
09-07-2016, 08:06 PM
The tire bead may not be fully seated on the rim. This is a shop issue.

Louis
09-07-2016, 08:10 PM
This is a shop issue.

If it is due to a poorly seated bead then it's a shop issue in the sense that it was originally due to their carelessness, but certainly not enough of a shop issue to take it back to them. That shouldn't take more than a few minutes to fix.

shovelhd
09-07-2016, 08:12 PM
If it is due to a poorly seated bead then it's a shop issue in the sense that it was originally due to their carelessness, but certainly not enough of a shop issue to take it back to them. That shouldn't take more than a few minutes to fix.

I'd certainly fix it myself, but if the OP just bought the bike and wants to develop a relationship with the shop, it's not a bad idea to take it back.

AngryScientist
09-07-2016, 08:13 PM
i have ridden it once and could feel the hop

If you can feel the hop while riding, it's too much. I agree that a simple rudimentary check at home should be able to discern if it's the tire or wheel.

djg21
09-07-2016, 08:30 PM
I'd certainly fix it myself, but if the OP just bought the bike and wants to develop a relationship with the shop, it's not a bad idea to take it back.

That was my thought precisely. If there is a noticeable hop (and it's not the bead), let the shop look at it and make a call. If it's the tire (and there was a quality tire spec'd OEM), the shop likely will replace the tire under warranty. If it's the rim, the shop will probably have it warrantied. It's no skin off the shop's back, and it doesn't hurt to visit and be a little deferential. If the mechanics and shop staff are of age, maybe bring a six-pack as a thank you?