PDA

View Full Version : Freewheel suggestions

d_douglas
09-07-2016, 03:32 PM
OK, so before I get a slew of replies saying the only option is White Industries, hear me out:

I am prepared to buy a WI FW, but I am looking for a 16t version and their website claims that it only works with a 3/32 chain. Is this a problem? I will use a Raceface NW 38t chainring. If the NW ring works with 3/32, then I would just buy a new chain as well since they're cheap.

Alternatively, is there anything out there that is similar in quality? My one and only SS in a previous life had an ACS Claw FW that seized on a paul hub and a LBS basically had to dremel out the FW until it broke and could be pried off the hub threads. I replaced it with a WI that was very nice, so yes, I get the WI quality argument.

Thanks for any replies!

ColonelJLloyd
09-07-2016, 03:45 PM
The fact that the ACS seized to the Paul hub doesn't mean the freewheel or the hub were at fault.

The ACS Crossfire Pros are nice. Shimano MX30 is quality.

You can use an 1/8" chain on a freewheel with 3/32" teeth if that's what you're asking. The Box Buzz has 108 points of engagment. I wouldn't mind trying one of those, myself.

d_douglas
09-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the info - so I am confused, what is the width of a standard chain for a geared system? 3/32" or 1/8"?

Can I use a Raceface NW ring with a WI FW for 3/32 only and a 3/32 chain?

d_douglas
09-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Oooops, I think I answered my own question: a standard 8/9/10 speed chain is 3/32". Therefore, the blue WI 16t FW will work with my Narrow wide chainring.

OK, any reason to try finding a better and/or cheaper FW than the WI ones?