PDA

View Full Version : OT: Recommendation for New Trail / Hiking Shoes

RFC
09-07-2016, 11:44 AM
I am in the market for a new pair of low cut trail shoes, not trail running shoes.

Trails in the mountains around here tend to be at least periodically rocky.

Right now, I am looking at the Garmont Dragontail and the Merrell Stretch Chameleon Prime.

What's your recommendation?

Thanks!

verticaldoug
09-07-2016, 12:10 PM
I generally think you can go for a lot less shoe. When I visit my parents out in Phoenix, I usually hike Siphon Draw to Flatiron, hike something else in Superstitions and go up to Sedona. I wear Salomon S-Labs. (The vortex gives me the energy to run)

If you want something more robust, stick with approach shoes with full rubber rands to limit scuffing. I think you'd be happier with the garmonts, but just visit the REI store to see what's on sale. There is so much good stuff in stores, now , it is hard to go wrong in my opinion.

Rocks are less an issue for me, it is those darn cactus prickles in my shins which get me.

p nut
09-07-2016, 12:43 PM
RFC - how will these be used? Multi-day hikes? Day trip? Long distance? Weight of pack?

I normally do single day hikes with a 10 lb bag, usually. I am perfectly fine on trail running shoes, such as La Sportiva Wildcat and Altra Superior for 10-30 milers (although I did the Grand Canyon R2R2R on the Wildcats with no issues). They're much lighter than hiking shoes/boots and provide good support for these type of hikes. For multi day adventures laden with a heavy pack, nice pair of Zamberlan's do nicely.

AngryScientist
09-07-2016, 12:44 PM
i'm in a set of vasque grand traverse shoes and really like them, but as with any other "contact point" equipment, you really need to find what works for you. i like these because of the very low weight and relatively good protection. light hikers are really a revelation, so much less fatigue than trucking around in heavy leather based boots.

http://www.exploringelements.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/VasqueGrandTraverse-1.jpg

kppolich
09-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Nike Terra Kiger 3's are what I have been using. Great, lightweight, plenty of grip, breathable.

RFC
09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Yes, I'm generally a day hiker. Small pack with my camelback inside. I haven't done multiday since I took the Boy Scouts on an 11 day and 100 mile trek through Philmont. With all of the extra crap the scouts require you to take, my pack was 65 lbs, which I really felt climbing 6,000 feet a day.

RFC - how will these be used? Multi-day hikes? Day trip? Long distance? Weight of pack?

I normally do single day hikes with a 10 lb bag, usually. I am perfectly fine on trail running shoes, such as La Sportiva Wildcat and Altra Superior for 10-30 milers (although I did the Grand Canyon R2R2R on the Wildcats with no issues). They're much lighter than hiking shoes/boots and provide good support for these type of hikes. For multi day adventures laden with a heavy pack, nice pair of Zamberlan's do nicely.

RFC
09-07-2016, 01:09 PM
You are right! Since I last bought trail shoes, the choices are many!

i'm in a set of vasque grand traverse shoes and really like them, but as with any other "contact point" equipment, you really need to find what works for you. i like these because of the very low weight and relatively good protection. light hikers are really a revelation, so much less fatigue than trucking around in heavy leather based boots.

http://www.exploringelements.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/VasqueGrandTraverse-1.jpg

gdw
09-07-2016, 01:41 PM
I've used various models of the Chameleons over the years for day hikes in Colorado and the southwest and am happy with their performance. They're light, comfortable, and the soles are more durable than most of the lighter hiking/trail running shoes I've owned. They're a good choice if they fit your feet.

RFC
09-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Yes, I've gone through a couple of pairs of Chameleons. My last pair are sufficiently trashed and I'm using them for yard work. I have also used them for gym / weight lifting shoes because they are grippy.

I've used various models of the Chameleons over the years for day hikes in Colorado and the southwest and am happy with their performance. They're light, comfortable, and the soles are more durable than most of the lighter hiking/trail running shoes I've owned. They're a good choice if they fit your feet.

dustyrider
09-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Not sure why you don't want to consider a running shoe.
They offer great support, and I run trails that are more than rocky in places.

I suppose if you're thinking of hauling a load you won't want them, but I wouldn't go low cut if I had a pack of any real weight.

I like Brooks a lot. Some of their stuff hasn't held up well, but they stand behind their products and have gotten me into a new pair pretty quickly in the past.

I blew through a pair of vasque shoes in less than a summer. I did spend a lot of time in sandstone canyons with water so more like a years worth of use.

Merrel is always changing their shoes, so what worked last year doesn't work this year. Zappos free shipping both ways!

I guess it's really the same with all things. Incremental changes drive spending!

I see a lot of folks around here in salomon shoes. I might give these a look see one of these days.

I highly recommend buying two pairs of the shoe that you end up deciding on. It's what I've been doing lately. They'll last all the longer when it comes to stink, and you won't ever find them again!

weisan
09-07-2016, 02:11 PM
One word: Keen

http://www.50plus-fitness-walking.com/images/KEEN_MWATER_Newport_J2.jpg

I have used it for both bike packing, hiking, trail walking, water activities or just plain sight-seeing, walking around town. I appreciate the versatility and breathe-bility. It seems to hold up well even in rather rugged terrain and rough use. In terms of travelling light and saving luggage space, I like the fact that I only need to bring one footwear and it does it all, relatively well.

I know this may not work for certain people but thus far, that's what I had been running with on short trips that involve a bit of hiking and walking. It has worked out well.

Benneke
09-07-2016, 02:12 PM
The La Sportiva Ultra Raptor is the ultimate long-distance trail shoe. The La Sportiva Wildcat and the Altra Lone Peak are also nice

RFC
09-07-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm a big fan of Keens, have had several pairs of sandals and agree what you are saying about a "do all" shoe. I even tried bouldering in a pair. My problem with them for hiking trails is that gravel gets in the sides and under the sole. Nonetheless, I may be due for a new pair.:D

One word: Keen

http://www.50plus-fitness-walking.com/images/KEEN_MWATER_Newport_J2.jpg

I have used it for both bike packing, hiking, trail walking, water activities or just plain sight-seeing, walking around town. I appreciate the versatility and breathe-bility. It seems to hold up well even in rather rugged terrain and rough use. In terms of travelling light and saving luggage space, I like the fact that I only need to bring one footwear and it does it all, relatively well.

I know this may not work for certain people but thus far, that's what I had been running with on short trips that involve a bit of hiking and walking. It has worked out well.

martl
09-07-2016, 02:29 PM
I am in the market for a new pair of low cut trail shoes, not trail running shoes.

Trails in the mountains around here tend to be at least periodically rocky.

Right now, I am looking at the Garmont Dragontail and the Merrell Stretch Chameleon Prime.

What's your recommendation?

Thanks!

i had 3 pairs of Salomon XA Pro 3D. I know they are dubbed as "trail runners" but they were good enogh for me to do a couple of tricky Himalaya Treks -but for the snowy parts- (Bhutan Snowman, great Ladakh crossing, Sikkim Singalila-Goecha-La) in them. Most comfy shoes i ever had. also did a lot of hikes in the Alpes in them.
Unfortunately, the last pair didn't really last long - less than a year in urban environment, then the nylon fabric was torn and the sole was a mess of flappy pieces, so i can't recommend them any more. Garmont makes some very nice shoes, if you happen to have narrow feet (look for austrian/german shoemakers like Meinl if you are a bigfoot)

RFC
09-07-2016, 02:32 PM
I am narrow footed with a high arch.

i had 3 pairs of Salomon XA Pro 3D. I know they are dubbed as "trail runners" but they were good enogh for me to do a couple of tricky Himalaya Treks -but for the snowy parts- (Bhutan Snowman, great Ladakh crossing, Sikkim Singalila-Goecha-La) in them. Most comfy shoes i ever had. also did a lot of hikes in the Alpes in them.
Unfortunately, the last pair didn't really last long - less than a year in urban environment, then the nylon fabric was torn and the sole was a mess of flappy pieces, so i can't recommend them any more. Garmont makes some very nice shoes, if you happen to have narrow feet (look for austrian/german soemakers like Meinl if you are a bigfoot)

Dirtdiggler
09-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Salewa mid trainer GTX is what replaced my Vasque Sundowners. Lighweight, pretty grippy soles and gortex liner..

martl
09-07-2016, 02:39 PM
I am narrow footed with a high arch.

friend of mine fits that description and he was happy with salomons as well as with Tecnica and La Sportiva.

Ken Robb
09-07-2016, 09:29 PM
I sold shoes when I was in school. There is no substitute for trying them on to ensure a comfy supportive fit. In my area REI does a great job; huge inventory and even a slope to try up/down steps.

RFC
09-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Imagine what my hands and arms look like, even with gloves, after weeding my cactus garden.

I generally think you can go for a lot less shoe. When I visit my parents out in Phoenix, I usually hike Siphon Draw to Flatiron, hike something else in Superstitions and go up to Sedona. I wear Salomon S-Labs. (The vortex gives me the energy to run)

If you want something more robust, stick with approach shoes with full rubber rands to limit scuffing. I think you'd be happier with the garmonts, but just visit the REI store to see what's on sale. There is so much good stuff in stores, now , it is hard to go wrong in my opinion.

Rocks are less an issue for me, it is those darn cactus prickles in my shins which get me.

RFC
09-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Couldn't agree more. However, I went to REI last weekend and they had neither the Merrells or Garmonts in stock.

I sold shoes when I was in school. There is no substitute for trying them on to ensure a comfy supportive fit. In my area REI does a great job; huge inventory and even a slope to try up/down steps.

09-07-2016, 11:37 PM
What you need to buy depends in great part on how your feet are built and how stable they are. If you need more stability or more cushioning in your shoe because of how your foot is built, buy accordingly.

The comments above have generally pointed towards lighter duty shoes. If you need more extensive support, they may not do the job. Plus, it depends on just how you hike -- one person does fine in a running shoe where another needs a mid-height all-leather strongly supportive short boot.

Two to consider on your list are the Lowa and the Zamberlan. Lowa is the maker of boots for much of the German special forces and desert warfare types, as well as for the British Army in desert applications, and for other nationalities as well. Their quality is first rate and you'll notice it when compared to other other shoes or boots. Zamberlan is less well known but is carried by REI in its shorter versions. Extremely well made, a bit more oriented for comfort and a bit more susceptible to tread wear with heavy mileage, but it's a beautifully made shoe and the paragon of comfort.

ajhapps
09-08-2016, 12:04 AM
I just switched from the Salomon XA Pro GTX to La Sportiva Bushido. The Salomon shoes are awesome, comfy, waterproof, and sturdy. The Bushidos are light, fast, comfy, but not waterproof. The tradeoff is breathability (Bushido far more airy).

With either shoe, I've done a lot of day hiking and even some lighter backpacking. I wouldn't carry a 40 lb pack with either shoe, but was fine with ~20 lbs.

buldogge
09-08-2016, 12:47 AM
Only you can decide what is best for your feet/fitness/environment...but...for me, with a daypack on (really any normal pack...I try to stay under 25#, unless I have to haul serious water)...trail runners are where it's at.

I like (certain) NB for my foot shape/size...I have some La Sportiva and Montrails I can use for shorter/local stuff...but I like/need the volume (especially in the toe box) that the NBs offer, especially after several days on the trail/climbing/swelling/etc.

As far as "waterproof" hikers...I find them generally pointless...I would rather have a shoe that can dry out. Having said that, I do have some eVent Tevas and GoreTex NB "boots", that I use in snow occasionally.

So...put me firmly in the "trail runner camp".

-Mark in St. Louis

09-08-2016, 06:49 AM
I've been happy with these gore tex adidas for day hikes. They are marketed as a trail running shoe, but with a day pack they give me plenty of support.

http://www.adidas.com/us/terrex-agravic-gtx-shoes/AQ4073.html

kestrel58
09-08-2016, 02:17 PM
I've been really happy (& impressed) with the Merrel Moab Ventilators. They come in low & high tops. Around $100. Comfy, supportive & long lasting.