PDA

View Full Version : Spurcycle Bells.

seric
09-06-2016, 09:07 PM
With the Spurcycle discussions in the classified section, I thought I'd post this information here. I've been happy with my Spurcycle, however I have a slight preference for Crane's NE-Bell. I found the following quotes from the article below worth noting, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with:

“We’re planning to launch a new design at the beginning of 2017,” said Clint Slone. “We’ll definitely be trying to get a design patent, plus a utility patent for some aspects of it. The current bell we’re making isn’t perfect. It’s also fairly expensive for us to make. Even though we’re charging $50 for it, we still don’t have great margin from a business perspective. Our hope with the new bell design is to solve some issues with the current design, cut some of the cost, and get some patent protection.

“We’re currently trying to offer a version that is a little less expensive, too. We really want to have the full spectrum in terms of price range. Ideally, we want to have a bell that’s $35 all the way up to $60. The bottom line is the try to out-design and go through the patent process correctly this time.”

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/a-tale-of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

Volant
09-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Interesting read - especially all the comments. Thanks!

commonguy001
09-07-2016, 05:42 AM
I like my two Spurcycle bells but I'm with you on really enjoying the E-Ne by crane. It's a bit larger but really nice and looks great in my commuter.

The Amazin comments in the article are interesting and found the same thing when I looked a while back when I was looking online trying to decide on something for my road bike.
Ended up buying one (spurcycle) on vacation from Hub Bikes in Jackson WY and thought it was so slick picked another up from my favorite local Shop.

one60
09-07-2016, 08:06 AM
I have both the SpurCycle and the Crane EnE bell. The better quality of the materials for the SpurCycle bell is quite obvious. The silver version of the Crane has a cheap looking surface treatment to making it sort of grey/silver but its not a polished or brushed finish like the SpurCycle.

But the real difference is the the functionality. The tone & pitch of the SpurCycle bell in my experience is better at getting people's attention than the Crane version. Even if they have earbuds in!

The Spur bell has more than paid for itself in crashes avoided. A helmet is a passive safety feature (that you hope you never need) but for city riding an active safety feature like a bell is quite useful. Ringing a bell is so much nicer (and less stressful) than shouting.

smontanaro
09-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Who are these "Rock Brothers"? I googled for them but they don't seem to have a web presence. Just some Chinese factory?

While the article stated, "To make matters worse, when Amazon shoppers searched for “Spurcycle”, the online retailer’s search engine returned the Rock Brothers knock-off first," I wasn't able to find any actual Spurcycle bells for sale on Amazon, just some accessories. Have they lost all presence on Amazon?

As potential supporters of Spurcycle, is there anything we can do other than flood Amazon with bad reviews of the knock-off and "liking" other reviews which do the same?

livingminimal
09-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Spur for life. Absolutely love mine. Was completely worth the $50.

tctyres
09-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Spur for life. Absolutely love mine. Was completely worth the $50.

+1 An excellent bell.

Skip, this is the Rock Bros bell: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RockBros-Cycling-Bike-Handlebar-Ring-Bell-Horn-Classical-Bell-/311403658663?var=&hash=item48811abda7:m:mHDUQrARPqUL915ucqkJ9xw

smontanaro
09-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Skip, this is the Rock Bros bell: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RockBros-Cycling-Bike-Handlebar-Ring-Bell-Horn-Classical-Bell-/311403658663?var=&hash=item48811abda7:m:mHDUQrARPqUL915ucqkJ9xw

Thanks. I had no problem finding their rip-off product. It was their (nonexistent?) website I couldn't find. <wink>

deluxerider
09-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Sometimes there is value to be had even if you have to pay more. I think this is one of those times. I expect my Spurcyle bell to be around for quite some time. It is very well made and makes a lot of noise.

earlfoss
09-07-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm waiting until they release their $100 premium version.

tooslow4u
09-07-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm looking for a bell too and came across Knogs Kickstarter. Looks very clean. Anyone get in?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/-oi/oi-the-bike-bell-that-doesnt-look-like-a-bike-bell

livingminimal
09-07-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm looking for a bell too and came across Knogs Kickstarter. Looks very clean. Anyone get in?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/-oi/oi-the-bike-bell-that-doesnt-look-like-a-bike-bell

Damn. Missed the boat on that. For $19.95 I would have definitely picked one up.

tooslow4u
09-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Damn. Missed the boat on that. For $19.95 I would have definitely picked one up.

Knog site says "Coming Soon". :banana:

https://usd.knog.com.au/oi-bike-bell.html

seric
09-07-2016, 06:44 PM
I signed up to be notified on Knog's availability, didn't get in as a donor. I do prefer to have similar bells situated identically between bikes when possible. The E-NE's and Spurcycles suit that need well. Te E-NE I've been happy with is the polished brass version, purchased due to Spurcycle not offering that finish. Hopefully they'll rectify that in future offerings.

Cicli
09-07-2016, 07:37 PM
I am waiting on the Rapha Spurcycle bell. It will be awesome and easilly worth every red (pink) cent if the 120.00 they will sell it out for.

rwerkudara
09-07-2016, 07:41 PM

I went in on one. Last update from Knog is that they'll ship end of September. I also have a Spurcycle (also via Kickstarter) so I'm curious how the knog will compare.

vqdriver
09-07-2016, 07:42 PM
knog sent out a last chance email not too long ago, but i waffled on the knog oi because they still hadn't locked down a delivery date.

obviously price is always a concern, but i don't anticipate people buying these things repeatedly, so i wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a one and done purchase. in the meantime, i can always cannibalize the bell from my kids' bikes.

vqdriver
09-07-2016, 07:44 PM
I went in on one. Last update from Knog is that they'll ship end of September. I also have a Spurcycle (also via Kickstarter) so I'm curious how the knog will compare.

i'm hoping they're also shipping to retailers at the same time. at this point, they've got to be targeting the holidays.... unless they're all sitting on a hanjin ship off the coast of LA right now

eippo1
09-07-2016, 09:44 PM
I hopped on the knog bell kickstarter as well. Got a copper one and a Ti one. I'll post pics of them on the bikes when I get them.

ajhapps
09-08-2016, 12:11 AM
I hopped on the knog bell kickstarter as well. Got a copper one and a Ti one. I'll post pics of them on the bikes when I get them.

Same here, just waiting for them to arrive!

rwerkudara
10-04-2016, 03:13 PM
i'm hoping they're also shipping to retailers at the same time. at this point, they've got to be targeting the holidays.... unless they're all sitting on a hanjin ship off the coast of LA right now

Just received an email with tracking info. Looks like these are slowly shipping out to kickstarter backers. Will post some photos once I install it.

dzxc
10-05-2016, 09:12 AM
I got the knog one as well in titanium. Looks like it shipped and should be here early next week, looking forward to having a bell on my road bike.

slowpoke
10-05-2016, 12:19 PM
How much were the Kickstarters for Knog? Seems like you can pre-order from their web site for $20 + $5.50 shipping.

SpokeValley
10-05-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm waiting on a pair of Knogs, too. Looking forward to seeing them.

Waldo
10-05-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm waiting until they release their $100 premium version.

That will be called "Silca."

sfhbike
10-05-2016, 02:29 PM
From what I can tell, that Knog ti one isn't showing up as an option for retail purchase on the Knog website (when they're available): https://usd.knog.com.au/oi-bike-bell.html.

Was that a special kickstarter item that won't be available again? That would be a bummer.

dzxc
10-05-2016, 02:32 PM
They show up on the kickstarter page, maybe it was a kickstarter only thing. I think the titanium bell will look slick on my titanium bike.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/-oi/oi-the-bike-bell-that-doesnt-look-like-a-bike-bell/description

sfhbike
10-05-2016, 02:49 PM
With the Spurcycle discussions in the classified section, I thought I'd post this information here. I've been happy with my Spurcycle, however I have a slight preference for Crane's NE-Bell.

I just ordered a few Crane E-Nes in different finishes--copper, brushed brass, black--for the commuter bikes (couldn't justify the cost of a Spurcycle that might get stolen--will either save that purchase for the Moots or get a Knog Ti if I can find one). What do you prefer about the Crane over the Spurcycle?

seric
10-05-2016, 03:49 PM
I just ordered a few Crane E-Nes in different finishes--copper, brushed brass, black--for the commuter bikes (couldn't justify the cost of a Spurcycle that might get stolen--will either save that purchase for the Moots or get a Knog Ti if I can find one). What do you prefer about the Crane over the Spurcycle?

I find the rubber mounting contact points to be a large improvement. I also prefer the sound of Polished Brass e-NE to that of my Black Spurcycle. My hearing is probably far from perfect though, so this is probably very subjective. As far as triggering action goes, the Spurcycle might get a small nod for it's lighter feel side-by-side, while riding I don't notice a difference.

On dropbars, I keep the bells mounted in my right hook with the Bell pointing in the 10:00 position, and the lever pointing towards the 2:00 position. This allows me to use the bell with my pinky from the hoods, ring finger from the hooks, and index finger from the drops. I haven't yet found this position to interfere with the functions of ergo levers.

I also lost a Spurcycle Bell, this was in the process of experimenting with different stems on my grocery bike. I can't be sure if it popped off while riding due to insufficient mounting, or if I simply put it down somewhere while swapping stems. There's also always the possibility that it was stolen.

likebikes
10-05-2016, 05:13 PM
the rock brothers bell is fantastic.

commonguy001
10-05-2016, 05:16 PM
The Crane E-Ne in brass sounds way better than the flat black version. I really dig the brass one on my commuter and put an all black on another bike and was very disappointed by the sound quality.

YMMV

slowpoke
10-05-2016, 05:42 PM
the rock brothers bell is fantastic.

It's also a blatant rip-off. Personally, I won't support that level of copy-catting.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/a-tale-of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/

smontanaro
10-05-2016, 05:55 PM
^ What skowpoke said...

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

R332
10-05-2016, 06:04 PM
So sad to see the Spurcycle bell ripped off and sold on eBay. Is nothing sacred?!?! When the Knog bell hits the market they will get my money and until then I will stay off the bike paths ;)

sfhbike
10-07-2016, 03:07 PM
FYI, when I asked about the upcoming new bells mentioned in the article:

Hi Shady,
Thanks for your email, we have some things in the works for mid 2017 but no firm details just yet. We are still in the development stage of a few products we're really excited about. In the mean time, if you're looking for a deal on a bell we have limited supply of Frankenbells which you may want to check out. They are going quickly, so jump on it if interested!

Thanks for getting in touch and have a great weekend.
Cheers,
Linda

tuxbailey
10-07-2016, 07:30 PM
They show up on the kickstarter page, maybe it was a kickstarter only thing. I think the titanium bell will look slick on my titanium bike.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/-oi/oi-the-bike-bell-that-doesnt-look-like-a-bike-bell/description

I just received my Oi titanium with white accent. It matches really well on my Merlin with white bar tape.

It has a nice sound, though definitely not as loud as my cheaper bike bell.

But it is so beautiful...

rwerkudara
10-07-2016, 08:14 PM
I just received my Oi titanium with white accent. It matches really well on my Merlin with white bar tape.

It has a nice sound, though definitely not as loud as my cheaper bike bell.

But it is so beautiful...

+1 it looks so nice in person. I like the cable management although I won't use the feature. Doesn't seem as loud as the Spurcycle but I've only rang it a few times in my hands.

ajhapps
10-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Argh, my Oi(s) are still in transit! Waiting is the hardest part.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Really a rude guy with a bell rant...I bounce around the MUP(Multi Use Path) system around the republic when I don't have a lot of time, so do this 'bike path bounce around'...got dusted off by some putz, hauling ass, and everytime he approached somebody..he let loose with his farging bell, and then hauled ass around/past that person..Tuesday morning world championship I guess, kitted out, with a cervelo, with scram, which in itself, says a lot.

Don't be that guy-rant out. :cool::p:butt:

dzxc
10-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Installed mine today, looks awesome. Sounds...meh. The top metal part is a little wobbly, which may be a design decision so the ring isn't muffled. But it's surprisingly quiet, or maybe I'm used to the ear splitting sounds of the Spurcycle. But the sound is perfectly adequate for normal use and I'm glad to have a bell on my bike.

http://i.imgur.com/Z7q9Krq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/STTUpeF.jpg

mwynne
10-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Got my two silver spurcycle frankenbells. No obvious marring/defects, and am now resisting the urge to get one for each bike in the house!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

commonguy001
10-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Got my two silver spurcycle frankenbells. No obvious marring/defects, and am now resisting the urge to get one for each bike in the house!

My silver Frankenbell showed up this weekend and I'm not sure why it's a 2nd either, great deal IMO.