PDA

View Full Version : OMFG. I leave in three days

Tickdoc
09-06-2016, 07:11 PM
For The Boulder classic and I friggen sprained my ankle today.

You gotta be kidding me.

I take my mom lunch on Tuesdays. I'm leaving her house as usual today, and I slip on the last three stairs and sprain my ankle.

Same house I grew up in, same stairs I've been up and down a bajillion times before.

What are my chances of riding Sunday? Should I even go? Been waiting all year for this ride and then this.:crap:

Drats.

weisan
09-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Tick pal, really sorry to hear that, what a bummer!

I think deep down you already know the answer....unless of course you can locate him on time.

http://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/l/2014/01/Miyagi.jpg

Tickdoc
09-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Ah so. Thank you for that weisan pal.

Ken Robb
09-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Try getting taped up so tight that you can't move your ankle enough for the effort to hurt. If you can still pedal like that you may be good to go. If it screws up your pedaling to the point that you may cause pain/damage elsewwhere you have to cancel.

stackie
09-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Get a professional opinion. Orthopedic.

It would be a bummer to miss the ride, but would be a bigger bummer to worsen an injury and have lifelong issues due to a questionable decision.

Jon

BTW, this gin and tonic is really affecting me. I've just replied to three threads in a row. Normally, my brain makes me delete my posts after typing.

kingpin75s
09-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Bummer!

That is a really nice ride. Very well supported!

I rode the Epic in 2013 and 2014 and really had a great time.

For flatlanders it is also nice that with only going up and over 1 pass, I did not find elevation to be an issue at all. YMMV. I cannot say the same for the Triple Bypass where after reaching the top of the the 3rd pass I was in rough shape seemingly from lack of acclimation.

Heal fast and listen to your body. If not this one, next.

Ken Robb
09-06-2016, 08:28 PM

It would be a bummer to miss the ride, but would be a bigger bummer to worsen an injury and have lifelong issues due to a questionable decision.

Jon

BTW, this gin and tonic is really affecting me. I've just replied to three threads in a row. Normally, my brain makes me delete my posts after typing.
My first glass of chardonnay gave me the courage to offer advice before the third glass robbed me of reason. Pasta with scallops in creamy cheese sauce with a few peas.

Tickdoc
09-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Bummer!

That is a really nice ride. Very well supported!

I rode the Epic in 2013 and 2014 and really had a great time.

For flatlanders it is also nice that with only going up and over 1 pass, I did not find elevation to be an issue at all. YMMV. I cannot say the same for the Triple Bypass where after reaching the top of the the 3rd pass I was in rough shape seemingly from lack of acclimation.

Heal fast and listen to your body. If not this one, next.

I'm signed up for the epic and thanks for the encouragement. Actually sitting at the dr now.

Tickdoc
09-06-2016, 08:39 PM

Jon

Ha! Love it. My best posts.....err my worst posts, I mean we're under similar influence. Hiccup.

Wolfman
09-06-2016, 09:22 PM
This isn't some 'fear of failure' sorta thing going on, is it? If so, I can totally relate and anecdotally share that I've had strange things 'happen' to me in the days prior to big physical things because I've been so worked up about the event and not doing as well as I would like and yadda, yadda, yadda.

If you can and aren't doing damage, you've gotta go. Face your fears, grasshopper.

teleguy57
09-06-2016, 09:42 PM
tickdoc, I feel for you! I love my trips to CO riding in the mountains.

In terms of addressing your ankle. I've had good results with voodoo flossing. Given your short notice, you can use a bigger bike inner tube cut open lengthwise with the valve stem removed. Said to work well to reduce swelling. My personal use has been to work throuh really tight muscles and fascia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJtlcvRAcO4
http://www.therugbyrepublic.com/performance/2015/9/22/voodoo-floss-to-speed-up-your-recoveryinjury
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkOGccgWJi8

You can Google for a lot more.

PS. The middle hyperlink one may be the most informative for you conceptually....

spookyload
09-07-2016, 12:37 AM
Rest Ice Compression Elevation

I did the same thing in 2013. Had nine days to heal. Could barely walk, and clipping out hurt like hell, but pedal stroke was pain free. I set the pedal to the minimum setting and went for it. Not bad, just had to ensure I clipped out on the left side first. Of course every sprain is to a different level of injury

Louis
09-07-2016, 12:45 AM
Could barely walk, and clipping out hurt like hell, but pedal stroke was pain free.

I've also found this to be the case shortly after a pretty badly sprained ankle. I was pleasantly surprised that pedaling was in much better shape than I expected it to be.

Don't give up hope.

Satellite
09-07-2016, 01:12 AM
My first glass of chardonnay gave me the courage to offer advice before the third glass robbed me of reason.
Ken Robb mind if I " " QUOTE that?

That is hilarious!!!

Tickdoc
09-07-2016, 05:54 AM
This isn't some 'fear of failure' sorta thing going on, is it? If so, I can totally relate and anecdotally share that I've had strange things 'happen' to me in the days prior to big physical things because I've been so worked up about the event and not doing as well as I would like and yadda, yadda, yadda.

If you can and aren't doing damage, you've gotta go. Face your fears, grasshopper.

Man, I hope not. Tore my ACL a week before a trip to Hawaii back in '07. Had to cancel that one to the chagrin of my family. I thought it was just me.

I'm going on the trip regardless, just not sure if I'll ride the epic I signed up for. Maybe a short ride thursday before we fly out just to see how things go.

I got this.

fignon's barber
09-07-2016, 06:18 AM
Ankle is a long way from the heart. Go.

Black Dog
09-07-2016, 06:31 AM
go buy a good ankle brace that uses laces and wrap around velcro straps. It will make a huge difference.

chiasticon
09-07-2016, 08:18 AM
I'm signed up for the epic and thanks for the encouragement. Actually sitting at the dr now.so what's the prognosis?

if it's sprained, perhaps try compression at a local wellness center to get the swelling down.

Clydesdale
09-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Unless it is a really bad sprain, you should be fine, but it will probably hurt. Not much lateral movement in pedaling and stability is not really a factor so it's unlikely you'll do more damage. You'll probably extend your recovery time and it will likely balloon up after a day of sitting upright and moving in circles. Heavy icing afterwards (like foot in bucket of icewater) and some Advil/Aleve along the way and I bet you'll be good to go.

If you start getting pain in other joints along the way, you might want to reconsider? Good luck.

unterhausen
09-07-2016, 09:04 AM
a couple of years ago I partially ruptured a tendon in my ankle. I wear a brace to mostly immobilize it. I ride with the brace no problem.

Tickdoc
09-07-2016, 09:08 AM
so what's the prognosis?

if it's sprained, perhaps try compression at a local wellness center to get the swelling down.

Dr just looked at me with a "ride if you want fool" expression. But I do have decent extension and flex so it may be fine.

Going to get a brace today to try and it did feel better this morning so we'll see.

It was a weird hyperflexion sprain rather than the more usual twist, which may help me heal quicker. I can't even explain how I did it, except that it was bent too far.

Colorado here I come!

eippo1
09-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Get compression socks for the ride and/ or learn how to tape your ankle.

Then get this for afterwards to help with stability (not useful on the bike). I sprained my ankle very badly (badly enough that I had to cancel the VT50), but still had to move apartments three weeks after the incident. This brace gave me tons of support without limiting me.

https://www.ultraankle.com/ultra-zoom

jimcav
09-07-2016, 09:57 AM
you can ride.
I rolled my ankle and went down hard on a trail run in 2010--miles from the car, so I got up and jogged/limped back. I thought I could feel the bones move as i jogged. It was late so I iced and then elevated it all night (and iced it every time i woke up), and all the next day kept it above my heart and iced every hour on the hour. Went to local ER where lack of swelling and normal x-ray led them to say it was mild. 2 weeks later it still hurt so I got an MRI and had 2 complete tears of ligaments on lateral (outside) and 1 partial tear of medial (inside) aspect of ankle.
The main point for you is that I was able to ride the whole time--i taped it up with athletic tape. It hurt to unclip and go hard out of the saddle, but it was possible. Ice and elevate as much as you canfor the 1st 48 hrs after injury and see how it feels.

Ken Robb
09-07-2016, 11:23 AM
It might be a good idea to ride on flat pedals and shoes with rubber soles and good support. This will eliminate the twisting in/out of pedals with cleats and let you change positions on the pedals when that feels better.