PDA

View Full Version : Things with stingers

verbs4us
09-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Checking to see if it's me, or if it's a widespread phenomenon: Are yall getting stung more often these days by bees, wasps, yellow jackets? I have averaged about 1 sting every five years (since Nixon was in office) and have experienced two in the span of two months this summer: My ride buddy Steve swallowed a bee (not recommended) and a yellow jacket stung my back, going through two layers of jersey and navigating around garbage in the pocket. A bumblebee got stuck in my helmet two weeks ago, but I got him out before things got nasty. Global warming? The revenge of the killer bees? Mating season? Statistical freak?

dustyrider
09-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Karma. What you put out into the world will be given back to you. ;)

oldpotatoe
09-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Been stung twice in 2 months, once on each knee, both while riding. Before this don't remember when the last time was. No idea why. Think bugs are angry with us for being stupid caretakers.

zmudshark
09-06-2016, 07:02 PM
The yellow jackets have been particularly bad in SE MI this year. I attribute it to the drought we were in during August.

This is the normal time of year for them, but they seem worse than normal. It can't be global warming, that is a Chinese hoax.

Tickdoc
09-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Funny timing as I was stung on the head Monday. Never saw a bug, never found a body, but I was quick to take my helmet off mid ride and scratch my head.

Damn bugs.

Schmed
09-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Yea - I thought the bees were disappearing, but they seem to be everywhere now, and not terribly happy, either.

CampyorBust
09-06-2016, 07:27 PM
I for one am grateful we still have bees to sting us. CCD is serious stuff.

Dead Man
09-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Dude... I just got stung by something on a ride couple weeks ago. Hit my left thigh just above the knee and whatever it was I brushed it off with my hand before I could identify it. Intense stinging pain for about 5 minutes, then felt pretty much ok... but then after about another 12 hours or so it ITCHED something fierce for like 2-3 days. I've never had any kind of bee/wasp/esque type sting itch like that before... very bizarre.

Last time I got stung was summer before last, also riding... never saw or felt whatever it was that hit me and got stuck in my helmet, but same - intense pain for a few minutes on my forehead right by the hairline.. later found a stinger and venom sack dangling from it still stuck in my head in a bathroom mirror. that did not itch afterward, though.. once the pain was gone, it was over.

In all my years working outdoors, climbing in the wilderness, being exposed to wasps and yellow jackets pretty much all summer long, the three times I've been stung in my entire life were all on bikes. And two within the last two years.

However.. still seems like it could all be coincidence. I know a lot of people hate cyclists..... not sure if you can convince me flying/stinging insects hate us specifically.

merckx
09-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Funny you bring this up.......

I have been stung more frequently in recent years as well. All through my helmet. One thought is that helmets are better ventilated and offer a good portal for insects to reach the scalp. I am currently using a POC and it moves air and bees through nicely. I was recently considering a Smith helmet with the honey comb infrastructure so that the bees would have a home to land in. Still thinking about that one.

kramnnim
09-06-2016, 08:00 PM
I've been stung less.

(knock on wood)

Ti Designs
09-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Over the winter I was sitting in a seminar about MIPS, or Multi-directional Impact Protection System. It's a thin mylar liner that goes in the helmet and is held in place by four rubber bands. The idea is to allow the helmet to rotate, so it reduces neck injury from the torque generated by the side of the helmet hitting the ground. While sitting there, watching videos of test dummy heads bouncing off yellow and black sidewalks, I came up with the idea of BIPS, or Bee Intrusion Protection System. It's just mesh that keeps bees from getting in the vents, but as helmets are $200 coffee cups (that don't even hold coffee), something like BIPS could easily add another 10% to the cost of the helmet....

verbs4us
09-06-2016, 08:29 PM
I can see the post now: "I don't want to pay Bell for the $45 bee liner. Who makes a decent aftermarket version...or can I just make one myself for 80 cents from an old window screen, a bowling ball, and a ball peen hammer?"

Tickdoc
09-06-2016, 08:46 PM
I can see the post now: "I don't want to pay Bell for the $45 bee liner. Who makes a decent aftermarket version...or can I just make one myself for 80 cents from an old window screen, a bowling ball, and a ball peen hammer?"

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2015/07/24/37c039e4-6cda-479d-a38d-2fcea10f780e/thumbnail/620x350/ca063b52fdc135c22a7313394052b994/gettyimages-471820400.jpg

bikinchris
09-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Checking to see if it's me, or if it's a widespread phenomenon: Are yall getting stung more often these days by bees, wasps, yellow jackets? I have averaged about 1 sting every five years (since Nixon was in office) and have experienced two in the span of two months this summer: My ride buddy Steve swallowed a bee (not recommended) and a yellow jacket stung my back, going through two layers of jersey and navigating around garbage in the pocket. A bumblebee got stuck in my helmet two weeks ago, but I got him out before things got nasty. Global warming? The revenge of the killer bees? Mating season? Statistical freak?

Those big bumble bees don't have stingers. Just the honey bees. Just hope you don't get a swarm of African Killer bees after you some day.

tooslow4u
09-06-2016, 09:09 PM
last time i was stung was almost 10 years ago while riding and ended up in the ER (didn't know I was allergic till that moment). Hope that never happens again!

regularguy412
09-06-2016, 09:16 PM
I was stung yesterday, on the head, not riding at the time. But I'll agree that there seem to be LOTS more just bugs in general out there. I was riding over the weekend and got hit in the face by hard shell bugs on 2 occasions in one ride. I can remember training/riding years ago and might get hit 2 times in a whole season. So, yes, there seem to be many more bugs out there.

Mike in AR:beer:

djg21
09-06-2016, 09:35 PM
last time i was stung was almost 10 years ago while riding and ended up in the ER (didn't know I was allergic till that moment). Hope that never happens again!

I got stung on the ass while riding about 4 weeks ago. It never healed, and after about 10 days, swelled to the size of an orange. Ended up in the ER, where I was prescribed a heavy-duty antibiotic. Two days later, I'm back in the ER with breathing difficulties and hives covering every part of my body between my neck and knees. A course of prednisone and benedryl followed. Of course I was allergic to the antibiotic. I just got on my bike for the first time in over 3 weeks yesterday and my fitness has taken a really big hit.

This has been a bad year. I've had yellow jackets fly down my jersey and into my helmet a few different times.

rwsaunders
09-06-2016, 10:36 PM
^ based on your reaction to the sting, you might want to ask your physician about prescribing an Epipen.

Dead Man
09-06-2016, 10:41 PM
My understanding is that A) people who have allergic reactions to stings have a history of having been stung with no allergic reaction (so having been stung before, regardless of effect, is a risk factor), and B), once you have had an allergic reaction to a sting, you're pretty much 100% odds of having another allergic reaction if you should be stung again..... so definitely have an epipen.

This is what the Almight Googlez has led me to believe. I am certainly not a doctor.

tooslow4u
09-06-2016, 11:01 PM
My understanding is that A) people who have allergic reactions to stings have a history of having been stung with no allergic reaction (so having been stung before, regardless of effect, is a risk factor), and B), once you have had an allergic reaction to a sting, you're pretty much 100% odds of having another allergic reaction if you should be stung again..... so definitely have an epipen.

This is what the Almight Googlez has led me to believe. I am certainly not a doctor.

Right about that. Been carrying an epipen since...

joosttx
09-06-2016, 11:53 PM

Where do you live?

CiclistiCliff
09-07-2016, 12:59 AM
Two horse fly stings/bites on one ride in Marin and a bee sting the next day.

Llewellyn
09-07-2016, 01:54 AM
It's not the bees we have to worry about over here at this time of year - it's swooping magpies :help:

Tandem Rider
09-07-2016, 05:26 AM
I think they are worse this year than previously, I got stung by a Yellow Jacket yesterday on the arm while riding, which hardly ever happens. I probably get stung 10 times a year from working outside, but no reactions yet (touching and knocking on wood). It just burns a little for about 30 minutes and then itches later, no biggie.

The Yellow Jackets do seem to always be more aggressive in the fall than any other time, don't know why.

PaMtbRider
09-07-2016, 06:58 AM
I've been stung twice this year by bees while riding motorcycle. In both cases the bee ended up in my jacket and stinging me. Prior to this year I can't remember the last time I was stung.

paredown
09-07-2016, 07:15 AM
I got nailed week before last--I was using the leaf blower to clean the debris off the patio, and apparently pissed off a nest of "sweat bees", who then proceeded to attack me.

Little buggers apparently can sting through light work gloves & shorts.:help:

Multiple bits on the back of my hands & legs--but no face bites. And these bites are searing when they happen, they subside to a dull ache for days, and then itch for about a week.

(Last time I got stung was when I was refinishing the floors--and my pattern took me out by their old hangout on the other side of the deck--I would do a pass with my clear finish, step out the door trying to smooth out the lap marks, and get bit--every coat!)

I recommend avoiding them!

djg21
09-07-2016, 07:15 AM

My allergic reaction was to the antibiotic. I can avoid that in the future. The sting just got infected. I am not allergic to bee stings. Thankfully, the sting didn't get abscessed and the antibiotic (and predicted) cleared it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
09-07-2016, 07:31 AM
PSA: It's good practice to keep 2 gel tabs of benedryl in your jersey pocket (I keep them with my CO2 cartridge). Even if your not allergic to anything, they don't weigh much and may save someone else's life.

rwsaunders
09-07-2016, 07:33 AM

My experience for sure. I'd been stung a lot as a kid as I was a caddy and usually there was some swelling and itching involved. Over the years, each sting reaction would be progressively worse until one Summer a few years ago, a paper wasp nailed me in the head and I was out for the count and woke up with paramedics in attendance. Three months later, another paper wasp sting and the same reaction. I hate those mofos.

I was prescribed an Epipen after that episode and since then, I have had to use the pen a few times for the bad reactions. I can actually feel it coming on in terms of getting light headed and having a lower pulse. Needless to say, I always carry two pens with me and bees can make Summer riding quite interesting.

PS I was on a ride on San Juan Isalnd earlier this Summer and there were so many bees in the air at certain points of the ride, that my arms had pollen streaks on them from the bees bumping into me. Wild stuff.

CampyorBust
09-07-2016, 08:00 AM
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/men-in-black/images/6/69/Edgar-human_SS_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120521120404

Edgar had a stinger, we dont take too kindly to his kind 'round these here parts (planet Earth).

druptight
09-07-2016, 08:13 AM
So topical! I was out riding last Thursday and felt something rather large go into the helmet vent. Having been bitten by something previously inside my helmet, I took it off while rolling along at about 17 or 18 with one hand, and ran my other hand through my hair to try to make sure nothing was still in there being angry. Bastard stings me between my fingers right through my leather gloves, I yelled out loud and somehow managed to not fall while slamming my hand on the bars to make sure he wasn't still attached. Stinger was stuck in my glove. Had to ride about 8 miles home one handed.

First time I recall ever been stung by a bee, and my hand swelled up good - thankfully I took my wedding ring off right away. Took benedryl right away but over the next hour it got bigger and bigger, so I went to the ER to make sure it wasn't going to get worse. Prescribed me prednisone and Epi pens for next time, as they informed me that I had a localized allergic reaction but that often times the 2nd or 3rd times you get stung are worse.

:banana:

PS - in relation to the bee mesh noted above, there are helmets out there that come with this in the front vents - I think Uvex and LAS both do...

mkbk
09-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Not bees. Always some flying arachnid type bastard! I am amazed how they do it at speed, our impact lasts a fraction of a second and I'm poisoned. The best one was on my forehead, the next day I looked like a Star Trek character with decidedly reptilian features.

Onno
09-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Over the winter I was sitting in a seminar about MIPS, or Multi-directional Impact Protection System. It's a thin mylar liner that goes in the helmet and is held in place by four rubber bands. The idea is to allow the helmet to rotate, so it reduces neck injury from the torque generated by the side of the helmet hitting the ground. While sitting there, watching videos of test dummy heads bouncing off yellow and black sidewalks, I came up with the idea of BIPS, or Bee Intrusion Protection System. It's just mesh that keeps bees from getting in the vents, but as helmets are $200 coffee cups (that don't even hold coffee), something like BIPS could easily add another 10% to the cost of the helmet....

Get the patent now! I'd buy one. Seems obvious that all helmets should have this, doesn't it.

On a more serious note, a friend of mine has a helmet with mesh--can't remember what brand, but again, why don't all helmets have this? I've been stung on the head at least a dozen times in 20 years, probably more.

BobO
09-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Amateurs all. Try getting stung seven times in your own bed for in the middle of the night. By a scorpion, one of those nasty little clear bastards. Now that's,... getting stung. On the upside, the two bees that stung me this year were pretty manageable in comparison. :D

verbs4us
09-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Where do you live?

Westchester county, Noo Yawk

Waldo
09-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Two this summer, both on the left hand, both in OaklandCA.

bcroslin
09-07-2016, 08:23 PM
stung a month ago in the inside of my thigh and through my friggin bibs. ouch.

I once got stung in the lip while on a ride. the bee simultaneously hit me at speed and stung at the same time. It nearly knocked me off my bike. Like someone punched me in the face.

joosttx
09-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Westchester county, Noo Yawk

I think you guys had a warm winter. At least thats what some guys from CT told and was probably the reason why NE apples are getting whacked by bugs. Probably a similar thing is happening whith the sting kind.

John H.
09-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Trying to eat dinner tonight at a Farmer's market in a Redwood grove- bees all over the place.
Had to leave to finish eating.

Dead Man
09-08-2016, 12:26 AM
One of my bros got stung FIVE TIMES at Alpenrose tonight! They had to divert the whole course away from the nest, mid-race.. Was crazy

I didn't see any bees... Crashed once and threw my chain a few times, but never got stung..

ripvanrando
09-08-2016, 05:06 AM
I get stung quite often. I have the habit of unzipping my jersey a bit on long descents and the little buggers get in there and sting away until I squish them. One got me 11 or 13 times before I killed it. Tucked down over the aero bars at 48 mph in Idaho this June, one got me right on the left nipple but it was of a type that sting once.

Saint Vitus
09-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Trying to eat dinner tonight at a Farmer's market in a Redwood grove- bees all over the place.
Had to leave to finish eating.

In Tahoe recently, the bees (meat bees/picnic bees) and yellowjackets were everywhere, we were camping so cooking during daylight hours was not an option neither was eating outside. Had to wait until around 7:30 pm to start dinner (when they all go to bed) :-/

Here's a list of some fine stinging insects lol

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-colorful-pain-index-of-the-stinging-ants-bees-and-wasps-around-the-world

bking
09-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Does a scorpion in bed count? Happened a month ago, first time tagged by one.
Is there no where safe?

SpokeValley
09-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Ditto to all of these comments.

We've had a bad sting year as well. One for me, two for Mrs. Valley.

I'm carrying sting wipes now.

d_douglas
09-08-2016, 01:41 PM
My 5 yr old has a bug net built into his little helmet. I thought it was pretty dumb when I bought it, but now would like one for my helmet.

Ive been stung twice this summer - not on bikes.

Speaking of angry bees, I was in parking lot at local MTB trails on Monday and some dude's truck was perilously stuck on the edge of a nasty 3ft dropoff. Myself and another guy offered to push and when I stepped in front of his truck to get in place, I disrupted a wasps nest. I didn't get stung, but I politely bowed out at that point, as I wasn't prepared to stand in the midst of 1000 angry stinging bugs.

Eventually, his tires caught traction and he bailed himself out on his own :)

verbs4us
09-08-2016, 06:23 PM
I think you guys had a warm winter. At least thats what some guys from CT told and was probably the reason why NE apples are getting whacked by bugs. Probably a similar thing is happening whith the sting kind.

In the northeast the winter temps were slightly above average but the snowfall was below average. I'm not sure that was a significant effect. Is there an entomologist in the house?

Dead Man
09-08-2016, 06:24 PM
One of my bros got stung FIVE TIMES at Alpenrose tonight! They had to divert the whole course away from the nest, mid-race.. Was crazy

I didn't see any bees... Crashed once and threw my chain a few times, but never got stung..

http://obra.org/posts/121200?page=1

djg21
09-23-2016, 07:54 PM
I went out for a ride on Wednesday, ironically with BB Dave, just before dusk. Less than a mile into the ride, some type of stinging insect, probably a yellowjacket, got stuck between my neck and jersey collar, and I now have a good sized welt on my neck. I have been stung more times this year, all while riding my bike, than I have over my entire 50+ years.

93legendti
09-23-2016, 08:36 PM
We had a yellow jacket nest in our backyard...nothing new, we have them every year. In the fall you can look up and see huge nests in the tall trees on our block. Not sure what type of nests they are, they are usually 30' up.

Anyway, I got stung on my arm and our poor puppy, even with his floppy sheepdog hair, got stung at least 5 times. A really nasty, stinging, burning sensation. One Benadryl for me, 2 for our dog and we were good to go.

The skunks have been bad this year too.

Keith A
09-23-2016, 10:49 PM
In all my years working outdoors, climbing in the wilderness, being exposed to wasps and yellow jackets pretty much all summer long, the three times I've been stung in my entire life were all on bikes. And two within the last two years.

However.. still seems like it could all be coincidence. I know a lot of people hate cyclists..... not sure if you can convince me flying/stinging insects hate us specifically.My experience echoes yours...been stung 1/2 dozen or so times, and all but one or maybe two of those were while riding. Funny thing is that one of those buggers got me last weekend while mowing the lawn :(

VT Skier
09-24-2016, 06:57 AM
The skunks have been bad this year too.

Skunks will dig up (to eat) yellowjacket nests, so hopefully they're evening each other out.

93legendti
09-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Skunks will dig up (to eat) yellowjacket nests, so hopefully they're evening each other out.

They deserve each other ;)

Keith A
09-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Got nailed again today mowing the grass in the same area as last time. Both times when I looked down where I was getting stung/bitten the critter was gone. So I don't even know what to look for, but it's pretty painful.

93legendti
09-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Got nailed again today mowing the grass in the same area as last time. Both times when I looked down where I was getting stung/bitten the critter was gone. So I don't even know what to look for, but it's pretty painful.

We had a nest in our yard, just 5' from our deck. Around dusk they should be dormant, that's a good time to see if you can spot the nest so you can kill the buggers.

Matt-H
09-24-2016, 05:36 PM
https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8794/28645789714_d542249ca7_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KDkah7)Blue winged wasp (https://flic.kr/p/KDkah7) by HeatherCLR (https://www.flickr.com/photos/82482386@N02/), on Flickr

A blue winged wasp stung me twice in the head last week while in my yard. Hurt!! My wife had to get a photo of it (or its kin)...

Keith A
09-24-2016, 05:44 PM
We had a nest in our yard, just 5' from our deck. Around dusk they should be dormant, that's a good time to see if you can spot the nest so you can kill the buggers.Do you know what insect was in your yard?

93legendti
09-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Do you know what insect was in your yard?

Yellow jacket. Found a dead one in my hair; 4 dead ones in our Sheepdog's hair and another 5 in our house.

Keith A
09-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Yellow jacket. Found a dead one in my hair; 4 dead ones in our Sheepdog's hair and another 5 in our house.Thanks.

93legendti
09-24-2016, 08:07 PM
Thanks.

Your welcome.

They are really nasty buggers. It was very painful and it burned. I didn't see it or hear it. The sting was under my shirt sleeve.

Our poor dog, even with all his hair, really got stung badly. He kinda freaked out and went tearing in the house and desperately tried to get at all the sting sites.

My wife bought a spray from Home Depot that killed the Yellow Jackets on the spot.

Vientomas
09-24-2016, 11:43 PM
I don't know how environmentally responsible it is...but WD-40 kills 'em dead.