PDA

View Full Version : Over the bars, over the weekend.

572cv
09-06-2016, 06:24 PM
So there is an interesting thread running parallel about helmet laws or the lack thereof. Lots of good points made on both sides of the argument. But as I sit here in not inconsiderable discomfort, I am happy to note that my personal decision to wear a helmet has made a real impact on my life (pun intended).

On Saturday afternoon, my front wheel caught in a crack in the road on a slight downhill, at a slow speed, and I was launched over the bars. My wife was riding behind me. I hit the pavement on my left side, and crumpled. I was out for about a minute. Ambulance to the local hospital in northern NH, examination in the ER, dressing for lots of road rash, and then a CT scan or three. My head, my hips, my neck. The neck was ok, just strain. The hips suffered bruises but they work ok, and the head had a 5 mm spot on my left frontal lobe. So they transferred me to a regional hospital (DHMC for those in the area) for observation, in case the spot grew overnight, in which case they would proceed to drill open my head. Thankfully, the follow up CT showed no change in the spot and Neurology released me on Sunday. I am one hurting buckaroo after a body slam to the pavement, but I am also very grateful for a robust regional medical system, a supportive family and spouse, and a very good helmet.

The helmet has a mips liner. There is some skepticism about these, I know, but in this case, it seems to have functioned well enough to mitigate the damage. If you look at the helmet, you can see clearly where the impact occurred, left front, and then the trail of indentations as the helmet, and head within, rolled on the pavement. Then turning it over and looking inside, you can see where the mips liner pulled and was torn. So, in this particular impact at least, the visual evidence seems to suggest that there was force on the mips layer which it diffused up to that point. Clearly the helmet saved me from considerable injury. Arguably, the mips liner helped a little more. I will buy another, under the “its cheap insurance’ doctrine.

So I join the not inconsiderable group of paceliners who have had a crash in the last few years. It is painful, but I hope to be back up and rolling before too long. I also hope all of my fellow crash dummies are recovering well.

So, some thoughts to add to this and other discussions, since I am still able to have them:
In this country, the roads are public space. We regulate their use, and we impose restrictions, which at their best are intended to protect the rights of other users of the roads as well. It is a shared space, not a private space. A state generally sets the rules of the road, helmets vs no helmets, etc. Everyone is responsible for influencing the rules of the road in ones own state.

The consequences of an accident without a helmet on a bike or a motorcycle can be horrible for the family of the victim. The cost to the medical system can be exponentially higher. If a clear accounting of that cost were able to be compiled, my guess is that insurance companies would figure out a way to make the cost of not wearing a helmet be reflected in its rates.

My sense of the defense of personal freedom in this country is very strong. But I also have a deep sense of personal responsibility, and for me the two are intertwined. The desire to not-be-a-burden to others is embedded in me, for better or worse. Thanks for giving me a few moments of time, those of you who have read this. I'm looking forward to cranking instead of being cranky.

Cicli
09-06-2016, 06:31 PM
I am glad you are okay.
Me thinkith me need a new helmet.

numbskull
09-06-2016, 06:40 PM
My sense of the defense of personal freedom in this country is very strong. But I also have a deep sense of personal responsibility, and for me the two are intertwined. The desire to not-be-a-burden to others is embedded in me, for better or worse.

Well said.
I'm glad you are OK.

AngryScientist
09-06-2016, 06:47 PM
heal up pal!

i know that when we had a go at some of the gaps in VT a few years ago, one of our group went down pretty hard due to a crack in the pavement on a downhill portion of road.

seems that the steep roads and freeze/thaw cycles up there can really be hell on roads and open up some expansion cracks which are bad news for skinny tires.

i'm sure you've gone over the accident in slow motion in your head a thousand times now, which is difficult i'm sure. do you have any thoughts on what you could have done differently to avoid going down? did your wife have a close call with the same crack too, or was this all just bad luck?

here's hoping you're back on the road soon! happy to hear it wasnt worse.

helmet use aside, let's all be careful out there!

Louis
09-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Agreed on the personal responsibility part.

I want to enjoy myself on the bikes, but I also want to maximize the likelihood that I'll be able to make it home in a day or so max to feed my cats.

572cv
09-06-2016, 06:58 PM
heal up pal!

i know that when we had a go at some of the gaps in VT a few years ago, one of our group went down pretty hard due to a crack in the pavement on a downhill portion of road.

seems that the steep roads and freeze/thaw cycles up there can really be hell on roads and open up some expansion cracks which are bad news for skinny tires.

i'm sure you've gone over the accident in slow motion in your head a thousand times now, which is difficult i'm sure. do you have any thoughts on what you could have done differently to avoid going down? did your wife have a close call with the same crack too, or was this all just bad luck?

here's hoping you're back on the road soon! happy to hear it wasnt worse.

helmet use aside, let's all be careful out there!

Thanks Angry. The roads up here do take a beating, and the freeze thaw cycle breaks pavement and, on old roads, actually works rocks up into the pavement, making it lumpy.

Wife was fine. This was a complete surprise, just the bad luck of the moment. That instant when it goes wrong. There was some dappled light coming through the trees, so light and shadow, and it was at that moment that the road became difficult to read. I'd call the speed between 5 and 10 mph because I knew it was potentially dangerous. It still bit me. I think fatter tires might have made a difference, might have..., and I had sun glasses on because of the brightness, so I am contemplating the photosensitive tint option for new glasses. Just little things. I was also wearing gloves, which saved my hands. That makes typing here much easier !

Geemalar
09-06-2016, 06:59 PM
So glad that you're ok..........

I just don't understand those who don't wear a helmet.

Tickdoc
09-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Glad you are ok and sounds like you will heal up fine. Close call! Hearing your close call makes me whine less about my ankle.

Sounds like a mips helmet could be a good upgrade.

oldpotatoe
09-06-2016, 07:26 PM
So glad that you're ok..........

I just don't understand those who don't wear a helmet.

I don't understand those who smoke...

I think most wear a helmet along with most who probably agree it's a personal choice and don't want a law telling them to wear a helmet.

Tickdoc
09-06-2016, 07:30 PM
I did a cross state group ride when I was a teenager and there was a guy who rode the whole thing in Levi cut off shorts with one if those two can beer holder straw helmets and smoked at the same time.

I don't know how long he lived, but he sure seemed to be enjoying himself.

OtayBW
09-06-2016, 07:31 PM
My sense of the defense of personal freedom in this country is very strong. But I also have a deep sense of personal responsibility, and for me the two are intertwined. The desire to not-be-a-burden to others is embedded in me, for better or worse. Thanks for giving me a few moments of time, those of you who have read this. I'm looking forward to cranking instead of being cranky.Good post. Glad you're OK.

rccardr
09-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Wear one, don't wear one, that's why they call it freedom of choice.

About a month ago, had a total and immediate blowout in a downhill right hander at about 24 mph. Went down hard on the Cinelli. Bonked my head, slid, bounced my noggin again, slid some more, and apparently hadn't done quite enough damage so slid a while longer. Road rash, burns from the pavement, big bruises...and a crack or two in my helmet from the impacts. No real damage other than lost skin, some very interesting bruise patterns, and a bunch O' soreness for several weeks. No concussion.

Would I have been OK without a helmet? Who knows. What I do know is that I bought another Lazer that day.

merckx
09-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Glad you are okay.

stackie
09-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Query:

If one chooses to not wear helmet, should one pay an additional healthcare insurance charge?

I know that several states that have removed motorcycle helmet requirements have implemented such policy.

Seems reasonable to me. Your rights to personal freedom end where my rights begin. If you suffer brain damage after head injury, then tax dollars will likely support your care for decades of care until you die. Now, you've infringed on my rights because you are essentially preventing those dollars from being used on services that benefit me. E.g., schools, roads, etc.

Confession: I sometimes do not wear helmet when I cruise down to Trader Joe's for a quick item. Most of the time I walk to TJs, but sometime if I want to save a couple minutes I'll use the bike. I never ride a training ride or group ride without helmet. I buy into the philosophy of we don't want to make all cycling appear dangerous. But when out hammering, I want to send the message to the younger generation that one should use personal protection. So, jersey and cycling shorts = helmet. Cargo shorts and T-shirt in town = no helmet.

Yes, I would pay the rider if I wanted to continue helmetless for errands.

Jon

Fishbike
09-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Hey 572cv -- I am glad to hear you are relatively okay and that you wore the helmet. My husband had a very similar accident on Sunday. Your wife and I should compare stories.

We were on the gravel, "carriage roads" in Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor finishing up the ride. The section just before the parking lot was very steep downhill. In fact I dismounted. He did not, was ahead of me, and crashed. From the looks of the helmet and the dirt in his mouth he had a face plant and skidded. Very bloody. I don’t think he lost consciousness but was disoriented and confused for about 2 hours. The EMT’s wheeled him out and we went to the local hospital. After a little while in the hospital his memory recovered.

Because of a little bleeding on the brain in two spots and severe laceration on the inside of his lower lip, they sent him on a med flight via helicopter to the Maine Medical Center in Portland. I went back to hotel, threw everything in the car and drove the 4 hours to Portland. Got there at midnight. By the time I got there plastic surgeon stitched him up. He was discharged yesterday and we drove home.

So he has a concussion, some road rash, stiff neck, bruising and scrapes on his face but not too deep. He should not have any scarring. The stitches in the mouth are painful but he can actually eat okay.

His helmet minimized the injuries -- no question about it. In my opinion, anyone who doesn’t wear one is a fool. If for no other reason, think about the people and loved ones who find you curled up on the road covered in blood.

Good news is the bike seems good. I need to straighten the shifters. One hood and the rear derailleur are a little scuffed. And yeah I need to buy him a new helmet. One and done. I looked at it and said "good helmet."

Heal up OP.

And a big thank you to folks at the park, the EMT's, MDI Hospital, the med flight guys and the tremendously impressive team at Maine Medical Center.

NHAero
09-06-2016, 10:11 PM
So glad to hear you're on the mend!

metalheart
09-06-2016, 11:15 PM
I had a similar but different incident where my helmet saved a more serious injury. The details are less important than the outcome, but I am convinced that without a helmet, I would have been toast. As it is, a few bruises, dents, sore spots, and such and I have a new helmet and other replacement parts from the crash .... Life goes on.

soulspinner
09-07-2016, 06:11 AM
Glad it wasnt worse. Heal up. Been researching helmets and MIPS in particular. Your post helps make the decision easier. Keep the rubber down........

sitzmark
09-07-2016, 06:30 AM
Query:

If one chooses to not wear helmet, should one pay an additional healthcare insurance charge?

Jon

First, happy to hear 572cv is doing relatively well and will make a full recovery. Sending wishes for a fast recovery.

Sounds reasonable. But only if one agrees not to exceed the designed protection limits of a given safety device. Current cycling helmets will not prevent brain damage -especially if impact exceeds design goals. So above that there needs to be an excessive risk premium or a deduction from covered expenses even if wearing a helmet.

There must also be a premium for riding a bike. Extra for riding a bike on public roads. Extra for downhill MTB ... adjustments based on a risk factor devised and applied to all activities one participates in in life. Comprehensive risk factor management based on computer-driven algorithms linked to evidence-based medial records/injury reports.

Such a system will "fairly" distribute the risk/cost burden for all factors and not just one. Wonder what the actual medical costs per participant are for cycling related injuries vs. base jumping injuries? Does exceptional (perceived) risk equate to higher actual burden? At some point in the scale there must be a risk premium for non-activity. Sitting on the porch and eating bonbons also has a negative health risk factor associated with it that costs us all. Some insurance plans already have a non-activity penalty ... in the form of stepped rebates to those who maintain their health vitals within set ranges. Nothing for those who don't. Activity based premium adjustment is the next step.

2LeftCleats
09-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Just like bee stings, there seems to be an epidemic of bike accidents with head trauma.

Friend took his new bike out for its first ride. Alone on a country road he crashed. Unconscious for a bit. Airlifted to hospital. Small brain bleed but no serious consequence. Did suffer fractured clavicle and several ribs. Also amputated left ring finger, which was recovered at the scene but was too mangled to reattach. Dead turtle at the side of the road. What is thought to have happened: sunny day on a tree-lined road causing dappled effect. Hit the turtle throwing him on his left side, hitting head, breaking ribs and clavicle. As for the finger, they think somehow it got caught in the spokes. Don't think his wedding band snagged. Freak occurrence. Still got a brain injury even with the helmet, but prevented scalp and skull damage.

And the thing we're most interested in: other than a scuffed saddle, the bike is fine.

tuxbailey
09-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Wow. And we thought disc brake was bad.

Just like bee stings, there seems to be an epidemic of bike accidents with head trauma.

Friend took his new bike out for its first ride. Alone on a country road he crashed. Unconscious for a bit. Airlifted to hospital. Small brain bleed but no serious consequence. Did suffer fractured clavicle and several ribs. Also amputated left ring finger, which was recovered at the scene but was too mangled to reattach. Dead turtle at the side of the road. What is thought to have happened: sunny day on a tree-lined road causing dappled effect. Hit the turtle throwing him on his left side, hitting head, breaking ribs and clavicle. As for the finger, they think somehow it got caught in the spokes. Don't think his wedding band snagged. Freak occurrence. Still got a brain injury even with the helmet, but prevented scalp and skull damage.

And the thing we're most interested in: other than a scuffed saddle, the bike is fine.

Mark McM
09-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Query:

I say yes - but only if the actuarial data shows that helmetless cycling actually increases healthcare costs. With a lack of that data, I say no.

Anybody know if such data exists?

I didn't think so. Most pro helmet law arguments rely on emotion and faith, rather than facts and data.

Mark McM
09-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Glad it wasnt worse. Heal up. Been researching helmets and MIPS in particular. Your post helps make the decision easier. Keep the rubber down........

What research data have you found on MIPS? I haven't found any studies using real-world data showing its effectiveness (or lack of effectiveness). While MIPS sounds good on paper, it appears the jury is still out on whether it really works.

downtube
09-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Wow, you hit pretty hard, glad you are basically ok , hope all of your injuries heal quickly. So glad your wife didn't hit the crack or you. Heal up. chuck

soulspinner
09-07-2016, 10:08 AM
What research data have you found on MIPS? I haven't found any studies using real-world data showing its effectiveness (or lack of effectiveness). While MIPS sounds good on paper, it appears the jury is still out on whether it really works.

bshi.org,kth.se, the original Swedish study are 3. MIPS mimics brain slip plain action you have built in to your head (according to one site you make a cup or so of this protective fluid every day). For the extra few bucks (read I am due for a new helmet) I think it probably helps those type of injuries better than a conventional helmet, with the understanding that its no better on straight concussive type impacts.

Mark McM
09-07-2016, 10:28 AM
bshi.org,kth.se, the original Swedish study are 3. MIPS mimics brain slip plain action you have built in to your head (according to one site you make a cup or so of this protective fluid every day). For the extra few bucks (read I am due for a new helmet) I think it probably helps those type of injuries better than a conventional helmet, with the understanding that its no better on straight concussive type impacts.

Are these all laboratory studies, based on theoretical principles, or are they real world studies?

What seems to work in the lab does not always produce the intended results in the field (either because the laboratory models weren't valid, or due to unintended consequences not foreseen in laboratory studies). As an example, consider anti-lock brakes in cars. In principle they seem like a good idea, they seem to work well in laboratory testing, but they have never demonstrated actual decreases in the number or severity of accidents out on the road:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/crash-avoidance-technologies/qanda#antilock-brakes

That is why I asked if there is any real-world evidence that MIPS actually works.

soulspinner
09-07-2016, 10:31 AM
One of the sites shows impact stress in color keys from a test. For 10 bucks extra, im buying one YMMV.........

RFC
09-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Ya, doing a forward flip over your bars will make you a believer in helmets. I've done it twice and both times there were significant scars on my helmets.

Other than an occasional short build test ride around the block, I am never on a bike without a helmet.

shovelhd
09-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Heal up.

572cv
09-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone, for the kind wishes and thoughful replies. It helps to talk about it, to reassess such a traumatic event. For those of you who shared similar stories from the past, I hope you have returned to health and cycling.

For Fishbike, Hey, the same weekend! I know he was in a copter, but I have to wonder if they guys running my ambulance were much slower..... Anyway, I hope your husband sees a full recovery really soon. That said, judging from my own aches and pains, the day this will be entirely behind me is probably a little ways off, as I suspect it is for him. Thank you for including your story, another of the *&^% happens when you least expect it moments. If you guys ever get to northern NH, let us know. I know lots of lovely gentle rides with good pavement, and some tougher stuff too, at least for slooow old folks.

I did, today, put some small wooden boxes next to my bike, beside the workbench, so I could get my leg over the frame, and see if I could sit on the bike. YES! I turned the pedals backwards. Hope is a good thing.

Be wise, and safe, out there everyone.

alessandro
09-08-2016, 08:09 AM
572cv, Fishbike's husband, metalheart: Heal up! Skin will re-grow, and you will be back at it soon.

I did, today, put some small wooden boxes next to my bike, beside the workbench, so I could get my leg over the frame, and see if I could sit on the bike. YES! I turned the pedals backwards. Hope is a good thing.

Be wise, and safe, out there everyone.

Backwards is forward progress:beer:
Here's a pic from Saturday evening--I think you know the place.

572cv
09-23-2016, 02:03 AM
I was scheduled to take a trip with my wife two weeks after my crash, to Turenne, in the Correze, in France. We had planned it for the better part of the year. I was still sore, hadn't ridden much in two weeks, felt iffy, but went anyway. Am there now. Slept for 10 hours the first two nights here.

At 16 days after the accident, I started waking up with my head clear. That is not to say that entire days were fuzzy before then, but rather to say that entire days were not clear. I felt like myself again, for the first time really. That has persisted, so, I would say that my head has recovered.

At that point, though, there were still a number of aches and pains, at points in the hips, in my back and shoulders. But slowly, and I think through steady riding- not too hard- all of that has subsided as well. Now, I just feel somewhat out of condition, though this too is being helped by a daily ride. Around here, these are averaging about 30-40miles, which includes 3-4K ft of climbing. Its about all I can handle at this point.... but the riding is on lovely country roads, generally, and includes ample opportunity to stop for lunch, see this or that site. One cool thing here is that we are near a major fault line, the Meyssac Fault, and it is easy to see where the shift is occurring where road cuts go across the fault. Anyway, a few pictures. The first is my helmet, on which you can see the impact where it would have crushed my left temple, the rest are of the area around Turenne, France.

ripvanrando
09-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Heal up. Sorry about that crash. I have gone down twice due to road cracks and both times at 40-45 mph. First time was not really a crack but a groove in the concrete running diagonal to the path of travel. This groove was formed by a wide single wheel when they poured the road. I never saw it. Toasted the wheel. Tuck, roll, road rash. Amazing how far I slide. The second time was also on concrete but it was old and busted up. Rider up front had a similar wheel issue and went down with a cascade. Tuck, roll, road rash with broken arm. He broke his pelvis. I guess I am very lucky. 20-22 mm tires both times.

Once or twice per year I go on a ride without my helmet. Last night was so beautiful and I did it. What a joy. I took roads with nearly no cars and over the course of 90 minutes saw like 2 cars. I'd sign a waiver any day if I could opt out of Obamacare.

soulspinner
09-23-2016, 06:25 AM
I was scheduled to take a trip with my wife two weeks after my crash, to Turenne, in the Correze, in France. We had planned it for the better part of the year. I was still sore, hadn't ridden much in two weeks, felt iffy, but went anyway. Am there now. Slept for 10 hours the first two nights here.

At 16 days after the accident, I started waking up with my head clear. That is not to say that entire days were fuzzy before then, but rather to say that entire days were not clear. I felt like myself again, for the first time really. That has persisted, so, I would say that my head has recovered.

At that point, though, there were still a number of aches and pains, at points in the hips, in my back and shoulders. But slowly, and I think through steady riding- not too hard- all of that has subsided as well. Now, I just feel somewhat out of condition, though this too is being helped by a daily ride. Around here, these are averaging about 30-40miles, which includes 3-4K ft of climbing. Its about all I can handle at this point.... but the riding is on lovely country roads, generally, and includes ample opportunity to stop for lunch, see this or that site. One cool thing here is that we are near a major fault line, the Meyssac Fault, and it is easy to see where the shift is occurring where road cuts go across the fault. Anyway, a few pictures. The first is my helmet, on which you can see the impact where it would have crushed my left temple, the rest are of the area around Turenne, France.

Glad you are up and riding and wow the pics are outstanding.

572cv
09-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Glad you are up and riding and wow the pics are outstanding.

Thanks for the note. This is a fine riding area for a recovering rider as the pictures show. I hope that all of the other injured paceliners who shared stories in this thread are also continuing to improve. The value of the riding to psyche and stability is really strong. As they say over here, "courage!"

velotel
09-24-2016, 07:08 AM
Nice pics, definitely France, where it's always easy to find quiet roads to pedal on. A fine place to recuperate indeed. Plus there's the food and wine. Good call to come over and not cancel

bitpuddle
09-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Wife was fine. This was a complete surprise, just the bad luck of the moment. That instant when it goes wrong. There was some dappled light coming through the trees, so light and shadow, and it was at that moment that the road became difficult to read. I'd call the speed between 5 and 10 mph because I knew it was potentially dangerous. It still bit me. I think fatter tires might have made a difference, might have..., and I had sun glasses on because of the brightness, so I am contemplating the photosensitive tint option for new glasses. Just little things. I was also wearing gloves, which saved my hands.

Funny - I had a fall last year at a speed that could best be called glacial. I was going slower than a walking pace, but hit a wet spot on a metal expansion joint at just the right angle and the bike just went out from underneath. Hit the ground like, a rock and was walking with a limp for a month from the contusion.

I'm glad it was just bruises.

I'd definitely recommend a contrast-enhancing tint and photochromic lenses if you wear prescription glasses.

572cv
09-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Nice pics, definitely France, where it's always easy to find quiet roads to pedal on. A fine place to recuperate indeed. Plus there's the food and wine. Good call to come over and not cancel

Glad to read of your escapades with son in Boulder. Sounds like fun, though a world of difference from here. As to the food and wine, we made supper tonight with fresh veggies from the local marche, pan seared foie gras (also local), Jurancon wine to go with, and vin paille (straw wine) with fresh fig bread pudding for desert. Better than usual. ;-)

Also, I should note for anyone looking to this region as a future destination, I would definitely come again. You can fly into Bordeaux directly from Montreal, saving hours of travel. The rentals are way less expensive than many in more popular areas. The food and friendliness of people is wonderful, and the riding is sublime. But the region does not get the freshest pavement in France, and it is useful to have wider tires here as well. I will bring my stoner bike next time!

572cv
09-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Funny - I had a fall last year at a speed that could best be called glacial. I was going slower than a walking pace, but hit a wet spot on a metal expansion joint at just the right angle and the bike just went out from underneath. Hit the ground like, a rock and was walking with a limp for a month from the contusion.

I'm glad it was just bruises.

I'd definitely recommend a contrast-enhancing tint and photochromic lenses if you wear prescription glasses.

You and I had a similar experience. I do have photochromatic lenses, but they are a few years old now, and don't really respond promptly. I didn't know about contrast enhancing tint, but will be in the market next month for something new, and appreciate the tip.