PDA

View Full Version : What did you see today?

Too Tall
07-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Red Fox trotting along, straight at me with a fresh dead grey squirrel in his mouth. Didn't even look up as he passed me!

Woman riding an Atlantis with moustach bars....very nice.

Charlie, one of my fav. Std. poodles. Today the owner was walking him...I usually greet Charlie when his "walker" has him out for a morning stroll. Std. Poodle Rulz All :)

It could be an illusion, but I might as well try, might as well try. She had rings on her fingers and bells on her toes. Scarlet Begonias

Kevin
07-13-2006, 06:54 AM
I thought Red Fox was dead. :D

Kevin

TimD
07-13-2006, 07:41 AM
A young deer. It wanted the green jersey and got it.

Karbon
07-13-2006, 08:00 AM
The smoke from a fire, almost 40,000 acres burning. Bit big for a BBQ.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_sawtooth13.1ce8dee.html

tbushnel
07-13-2006, 08:55 AM
I thought Red Fox was dead. :D

Kevin

thats the first thing that went through my head when I read the post. Then I thought, TT has been gluing too many wheels - bad trip.
Cheers,
Ted

Tom
07-13-2006, 08:58 AM
A deer with two spotted fawns.

Too Tall
07-13-2006, 09:00 AM
...as I was typing it and thinking "nah, low hanging fruit even these sukas wouldn't....".

Really thought I was seeing things. Aren't fox supposed to be wary to the extreme? I barely see them near home in the woods...just a glimpse. Yet, there this guy was proud as punch trotting up the bike trail with that dead squirrel. Didn't even veer off the path as I whizzed past him only a few feet away!

davids
07-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I saw a dead fox on the roadside in Maine last week. :(

Here's what I didn't see on Monday: I was riding on a four-lane road in the Hyde Park section of Boston, going around 20-22mph. I hear a few loud chirps/screeches from very close, and then I feel my helmet being knocked around!! ***?!? I wave a hand around my head for a moment... A second later, my helmet's shaking again! Then, peace returns.

At the next stoplight, the guy riding behind me says, "That was rather Hitchcock-esque!"

I've been attacked by a bird.

zap
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Casa Zap & Zip is the playing ground for fox and one coyote.

What we really need is a pack of wolves to take care of our deer explosion.

Hunting season can't come soon enough.

Venision chili anyone?

Anyhow, two badgers came to a skidding halt when they saw me and the 'blade.

cpg
07-13-2006, 10:27 AM
What I saw today was too many cars and one very flat turtle. Bummer but a great ride nonetheless.

Curt

67-59
07-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Here's what I didn't see on Monday: I was riding on a four-lane road in the Hyde Park section of Boston, going around 20-22mph. I hear a few loud chirps/screeches from very close, and then I feel my helmet being knocked around!! ***?!? I wave a hand around my head for a moment... A second later, my helmet's shaking again! Then, peace returns.

At the next stoplight, the guy riding behind me says, "That was rather Hitchcock-esque!"

Red-winged blackbird perhaps? We have quite a few of them in MN and they tend to be very territorial. Usually, they just chirp loudly and fly a few feet behind you to "chase" you away. But I have encountered a couple that swoop down really close and occasionally make contact with riders' helmets. A few days ago, I heard the chirping and turned around to see one about 10 feet behind me and diving toward my head; he veered away at the last moment. Probably not likely to do any real damage, but it can be disconcerting to have REALLY angry wildlife swooping towards your head. My biggest fear is that one will make contact by surprise and cause me to jerk, and perhaps go down. To avoid the element of surprise, I tend to watch and listen for them in areas where I've encountered them before.

Last year a friend and I were riding near where we'd regularly encountered a really aggressive one, only to see it swooping down at this poor guy cutting his lawn. My friend commented that he wouldn't be surprised if the homeowner took care of things with his gun. Next day, the bird was gone, and we never saw it again....

Zard
07-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Peacock, deer - lots of 'em, cattle, horses, ostrich and a zebra...Hey, I live in California....

Bud
07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
that I had to swerve around. That, and a bunch of traffic on the bike path.

fmbp
07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I saw this yesterday on my way to school with about 15 of Houston's finest standing around trying to figure out what to do.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/9499103/detail.html

Not quite as nice as what everyone else has described.

bironi
07-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I saw the best stage of the Tour thus far.

martianbait
07-13-2006, 12:30 PM

Must be something going on in Massachusetts. I got attacked by one this past weekend near Lowell while I was riding.

max_powers
07-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Living in So Cal, near the beach, I see nothing but cars and boobs,
parden me the boobs are the drivers.

Delpo
07-13-2006, 01:20 PM
You know that the sunrise is mind boggling when a pace line of 10 going at 23 MPH completely stops to see the sun coming up thorugh the ocean. Mornings in Puerto Rico can be glorious.

The Spider
07-14-2006, 06:05 AM
A beautiful Heron take flight and glide a metre of the ground over the bike path in front of me, the iridescent grey of their feathers is amazing. and the grace...can't forget the grace...

William
07-14-2006, 06:47 AM
A lotta HOT.

And some road kill squirrels, nice quiet farmland, and a lotta sweat from the lotta HOT....more water please. :beer:

William

Kevan
07-14-2006, 07:24 AM
too rainy to commute and the bike was trashed from Wednesday even's romp in the wet. Cleaned the bike up last night and today was perfect for a morning spin to work.

Saw a bunny wabbit, a racoon of questionable health, and a buck with a good sized rack covered in felt.

I stopped counting squirrels.

Oh yeah... Sometime Wednesday my area go hit by a tornado. This unusual visitor cut a path of destruction that was visible at several points in my zig-zag route to work. The trees really got clobbered.

Ginger
07-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Last night was sheep, muskrats, and a family of geocachers...

tomwd3
07-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Not today, but last week.
Just south of Albany, NY at the top of a rather grim 3 mile climb, (sickle hill) a black bear walked across the road in front of me & a friend. Had never seen one loose in the wild. Probably 50 yards away. We're in the boonies, and no cars to be seen. Bear just ambles across the road & gives us a quick glance b4 walking into the woods at the roadside. Pretty cool.

manet
07-15-2006, 11:55 AM
in nyack, some old dude, fully kitted out in red a'la episcoville row,
astride some nouvo old world piece of red steel. he looked good.

Tailwinds
07-15-2006, 01:46 PM
A young deer. It wanted the green jersey and got it.

I got within about 3 feet of a mule deer. It wanted the polka dot jersey and got it.

I saw Buffalo Bill's grave at the top of Lookout Mountain.

I had many visions while climbing... not sure if they were real or not -- it was HOT (and steep) so maybe not... :rolleyes:

Kahuna
07-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Flesh-eating squirrel type weasel thing otherwise known as a mongoose.

rwsaunders
07-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Two (live) deer, three (dead and flat) raccoons and a knockout at the local coffee shop stop.

Kahuna
07-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Literally, just 10 minutes ago, just got back from a swim across the street from my house where we watched a pod of about 30 spinner dolphins performing amazing aerial acrobatics just a few yards from shore!

I've seen them before, but never having so much fun like this.
Amazing. What a treat!

Tailwinds
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Literally, just 10 minutes ago, just got back from a swim across the street from my house where we watched a pod of about 30 spinner dolphins performing amazing aerial acrobatics just a few yards from shore!

Amazing. What a treat!

You win, hands down! :beer:

J.Greene
07-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Bikinis at New Smyrna beach. Cheese croissant at the bakery. 60 good miles of road from Oviedo FL.

JG

manet
07-15-2006, 05:54 PM

Amazing. What a treat!

2007 _ TdKhn'a!

victoryfactory
07-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Osprey nesting, egret fishing, cormorant sunning
The Orient ferry loading up with gamblers headed for Connecticut
A flattened frog
A goldfinch (live)
Miles of emerald green sod farms to the horizon
The same grey bearded, solitary cyclist that I've been crossing paths with
and nodding to for the last three years most Saturdays
at roughly the same place.

A great day, 85 degrees, sunny, little wind, 55 miles

VF

Too Tall
07-19-2006, 07:26 PM
On my way home...

I spot a very fit looking commuter in town holding a full color "bicycle" map open and asking a vendor for advice. This is an irresistable proposition so I offered help and was rewarded with 20 miles of fun chatting and I helped someone new in town find his ideal commuting route from DC to the MD suburbs. His commute is the same distance as mine about 20 miles each way. The guy is a surgical scrub nurse and apparently moves city to city finding fun adventure and bicycle riding. He was prev. a courier in Calif. He was an awesome rider and we talked and laughed even while weaving thru traffic.

The things you find lyin' around on the street...(tch) I tell yah ;)

pale scotsman
07-19-2006, 07:32 PM
On Sunday I stopped to help a Box Turtle to safety.

manet
07-19-2006, 08:52 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_1612.jpg

manet
07-19-2006, 09:07 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_1592.jpg

djg
07-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Quite a few bikes on the route on the way in this morning. Passed a group of women including a Serotta I've seen around--bare ti frame with a yella fork ridden by a woman with a huge long braid (I dunno, like 3 or 9 feet long or something). Threaded my way through the infestation of Canadian Geese along the Potomac--beautiful birds in flight but they have an insane affection for waddling along the Mt. Vernon MUT in traffic. Some wind powered police boat making a racket by Roosevelt Island.

Also saw kind of a lot of paper.