PDA

View Full Version : Honda CR-V bike rack

rcnute
09-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Anyone have suggestions for hitch or non-hitch rack for a 2012 CR-V? Thanks.

Ryan

dustyrider
09-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Hitch rack one up USA. Kuat also gets love here, but 1up wins every time.

carpediemracing
09-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Friend of mine has a roof rack on his older CR-V. Although it's secure and safe and all that it feels like it's putting a parachute on a brick as far as fuel efficiency goes. Also garage doors etc. Not sure how efficient a newer one would be, I know our wagon is pretty good even with two bikes on the roof, but on his it seemed to really affect the vehicle's pep and therefore probably its mileage.

Ralph
09-06-2016, 06:01 AM
Hitch rack one up USA. Kuat also gets love here, but 1up wins every time.

After going thru rack after rack on various vehicles.....just got a 1 UP for 3 bikes....with 2" receiver. Wish I had done this years ago. No comparison.

peanutgallery
09-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Stop by a uhaul and get a 2 inch reciever for that. Decline the wiring harness and its cheap. Uhaul is practical like that.

I have a thule T2. Really cheap compared to the 1up and well made. You can get a 2 bike add on and still not spend as much as you will for a 2 bike 1up

Clancy
09-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Towing capacity dictates hitch size, your Honda may be restricted to a 1 1/4 inch receiver. Look around for a shop that specializes in truck accessories. We have such a place here that does bumper guards, tool boxes, etc., as well as installing hitches, much cheaper then U-Haul.

One Up USA is w/o a doubt the best, others are a close second including Yakima's Hold-Up and the Kuat. Use to own a Thule T2 but found it bulky compared to the Hold-Up that I now own.

Use to carry my bikes on the roof, plenty secure and safe as long as I paid attention to what was overhead, entering parking garages, low lying branches, etc.

Hitch rack allows much faster loading, unloading of bikes, very secure, and no loss of MPG and no wind noise. Bikes on the roof - noisy and impact mileage.

If you have a REI near by, ck "em out. Usually a good selection on display except for One Up which you buy direct. REI just had a 20% off sale on Thule and Yakima, ended yesterday I believe.

AngryScientist
09-06-2016, 09:06 AM
for you folks who advocate the use of hitch racks on SUV's - is it not a pain in the ass to have something back there in the way of the lift gate? just curious.

icepick_trotsky
09-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Most hitch racks fold down, but it is kind of a pain.

tuxbailey
09-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Have looked into the Thule Raceway type racks? I find convenient to use for my CR-V (2008) and I can use it on my sedan as well.

I had a hitch rack (Yakima Double Down) but I had to carry another bike so switched to the Thule instead of buying a new hitch rack. My issue is that I don't have the hitch rack installed all the time and it is cumbersome to put it into the hitch receiver.

Clancy
09-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Most hitch racks fold down, but it is kind of a pain.

True, is slight PIA. But, with that said my Hold-Up tilts down enough that I can lift the rear door.

There are four ways to carry a bike with a car. Inside, on the roof, strap-on trunk rack (worthless in my opinion) and platform rack. In terms of security and ease, the platform rack performs the best. Each has its trade offs.

I can load my bike in under 60 seconds. I keep my rack, folded up, on my car all the time both for ease of carrying my bike and the fact that if I'm ever rear ended, the rack should take the blunt of the blow and minimize damage to my car.

The one big knock I've heard about platform racks is what happens to the bike if the car is rear ended. Driving for 45+ years, I've never been rear ended. When I use to carry my bikes on top of the roof, I had a few close calls hitting stuff overhead.

I've tried all methods and have found a platform rack serves my needs the best.

AngryScientist
09-06-2016, 10:42 AM
another thought provoking question:

I will assume that all states have laws prohibiting obscuring the rear license plate. i have to assume that just about every single hitch rack obscures the rear plate with bikes loaded, no?

anyone get harassed about this?

ColonelJLloyd
09-06-2016, 10:45 AM
for you folks who advocate the use of hitch racks on SUV's - is it not a pain in the ass to have something back there in the way of the lift gate? just curious.

My Softride (http://www.softride.com/rack-products/) solves that issue.

Neves
09-06-2016, 10:51 AM
We have a One-up on our CRV and it work great. You can lower it just enough to get in the back of the car with the bikes on. Not pretty, but functional. We also have bars on it were we used a rooftop box. The bars alone make enough noise that we don't use the sunroof. Wife's been after me to take them off.

Dirtdiggler
09-06-2016, 11:15 AM
I have the Saris Thelma 2 on my accord, lightweight enough for my car. Now my buddies are using the Kuat Transfer, which is a better rack. Will fit fatbikes and road without adapters, affordable price under 300 for a 2 bike and has a nice folding feature.. definitely worth a look..

rcnute
09-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Good stuff, thanks everybody.

Ryan