PDA

View Full Version : Crew Vacancy for European Race

RABikes2
07-13-2006, 01:40 AM
For those who are not familiar with Rob Kish...Rob is a legend in the history of RAAM. Twenty years he's done the race (and won a few times); Rob is "Mr. Ultracycling". For me, it was one of the biggest highlights of RAAM to finally meet Rob and his wonderful wife, Brenda, at RAAM last year. I received an e-mail from Brenda a few days ago about Rob's participation in Le Tour Ultime 2006. She just posted the following notice on the raamgroups website. If anybody is interested, please contact her. Rob and Brenda are wonderful people; I believe it would be the absolute best to crew for them. Thanks.
RA
Hello, Everyone -

Rob Kish has a vacancy on Kish Krew for Le Tour Ultime 2006. Rob & his Krew raced in Le Tour Direct in 2005 and are planning to go back to Europe compete again this year. We need someone who can speak both English and French fluently and is available from August 30 through Sept 12, 2006. Applicant must be a licensed driver with a good driving record and able to drive manual transmission. Other skills and crew experience would be a plus but are not required. All expenses such as airfares, food, and lodging are paid. The race begins and ends in the Netherlands and travels through Belgium and much of France including all of the great mountain climbs in Le Tour de France including Mont Ventoux. We promise an exquisite cycling and travel experience.

For more information:
Click here: http://www.letourultime.com and
www.robkish.com

If interested, please respond to this e-mail address XSBaggage8@aol.com to introduce yourself.

Thank you,

Brenda Kish

davep
07-13-2006, 09:43 AM
If I could only speak French....

William
07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
If I could only speak French....

Ditto, otherwise I would be all over it Cuz.

William

fiamme red
07-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Rob Kish has a great sense of humor.

http://www.ultracycling.com/about/hof_kish.html

UC: What skills do you like your Krew to have?

RK: Good drivers are a must. We've had bus drivers, an airline pilot and a nuclear submarine driver Lt. Commander.

UC: What do you expect of them during a race?

RK: I expect no one to kill another Krew member.

UC: Do you have Krew problems like everyone else?

RK: One Krew member used to teach calculus, but if he presented me with a calculus problem during RAAM, it would just give me a headache.

RABikes2
07-14-2006, 02:55 AM
That has to be one of the best interviews ever. Rob's sense of humor and his true love for his wife, Brenda, shine through brightly. Thanks for the link. ;)
Cuz and Dave, speaking French was only one skill they were looking for, but you do have "other skills" that would be valuable to them! :p
RA

davep
07-17-2006, 04:58 PM
So I took RA's advice and encouragement (thanks RA) and contacted Brenda Kish, and after 2 hours on the phone yesterday I will be joining the Kish Krew for Le Tour Ultime. My official job will be driver of the follow vehicle, but I plan on doing whatever is needed.

RA, I'll be contacting you off forum for some tips/insigts from your RAAM crewing experience.

My only regret is that I will probably not be able to also do the TdFL :crap:. I missed the Giro de Bozeman last year due to a hurricane, and was really looking forward to this year. At least this is my own choice.

scrooge
07-17-2006, 05:04 PM
That sounds awesome...
Is Rob Kish also the frame builder? Seems to ring a bell there.

BumbleBeeDave
07-17-2006, 05:16 PM
. . . be sharing a room with myself and Keith A? . . .

But we already reserved the little fridge with the beer and little weiners in cans!

Oh, well. More for us, I guess . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

BoulderGeek
07-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Dave, how did you get your French skills?

I have abyssmal French, total bastardization (batard-isation?), and would be an embarrassment to anyone that I had to converse with. I can distinguish between flan rouge, lanterne rouge, and vin rouge, however.

But, I've been thinking for years about spending a summer or six months in the Alps, riding and doing intensive language immersion. What did you do?

Sounds like a fun deal, though! Have fun.

:beer:

davep
07-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Scrooge,

Rob Kish is a legend in ultracycling, but I do not think he builds frames. He has competed in 19 Race Across Americas, finshed 18 and won 3. It will be quite an education to crew for him.

BBDave,

I could maybe possibly still come to TdFL, but taking 3 days the weekend before going to France for over two weeks is not really feasible, even though my wife said it would be OK (yeah, sure). Hope you and Keith have fun :)

Boulder,

I do not really speak French. The Kish Krew has one fluent speaker, and two others who are comfortable, so by the time I contacted them that wasn't a priority any more. I have been to France a number of times, and have taken lessons, but it doesn't really stick when it is not practiced. 6 months in the Alps would be fantastic way to learn.

fiamme red
07-17-2006, 08:01 PM
That sounds awesome...
Is Rob Kish also the frame builder? Seems to ring a bell there.That's Jim Kish: http://www.kishbike.com/about.htm.

RABikes2
07-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Scrooge,

Rob Kish is a legend in ultracycling, but I do not think he builds frames. He has competed in 19 Race Across Americas, finshed 18 and won 3. It will be quite an education to crew for him.
WOW! You go Dave!!!! I am so excited for you! I'd have jumped on the opportunity, but taking off that amount of work time in September (financially) just didn't seem like the best idea; damn work (and I love both my jobs, but still... :crap: )! I look forward to hearing all the details of the trip before, during, and return...wow! Don't forget anything! ;)

I will be out of pocket for the next week (visiting family), but give me a call regarding crewing; I'll be happy to pass along advice that was given to me prior to RAAM '05 crewing (thanks TT!) and what I figured out firsthand.
Just a little correction, but Rob competed in 20 RAAM's, finished 19, and won 3. He holds the record for the most RAAM miles cycled at 57,507. The man is unbelievable.

BTW Dave, three of us are considering going over for Joe Arnold's 600k in November if you are interested in getting a few miles in. Love to have you join us; we're all pretty much compatible in ability. Just a thought for you to ponder...!

But back to the point, I can't wait to hear all the details, details, details! :banana:

You da man Dave! :D
RA

ada@prorider.or
07-18-2006, 02:07 AM
if i only cold talk french

would be glad to help

William
07-18-2006, 05:35 AM
Way to go Dave!!! :banana:

Be safe and have a blast. :banana:

davep
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Ditto, otherwise I would be all over it Cuz.

William

William (or anyone else),

As of yesterday we are still in need of one crew member. Of course, I don't know how well you would fit in those tiny Euro cars :). See first posting in this thread for contact info.

ada@prorider.or
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
William (or anyone else),

As of yesterday we are still in need of one crew member. Of course, I don't know how well you would fit in those tiny Euro cars :). See first posting in this thread for contact info.

i am puzzled about this
no reaction ,even after sending mail

davep
07-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Cees,

Are you saying you would like to crew? If so I'll send Brenda an email. Please PM me your email.

William
07-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Cees,

Are you saying you would like to crew? If so I'll send Brenda an email. Please PM me your email.

Whoa whoa whoa. I just caught this thread. Still need someone? Cees has a lot more bike experience then I do I'm sure, but hey, I'll try anyway.

William

RABikes2
07-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Okay, Dave is crewing. ;) WHO else is going? Cuz? Cees?
RA

RABikes2
07-31-2006, 07:29 AM
RA
Just received an e-mail from Brenda...YEEHAW! It's great that two Serotta forum members will be crewing for Rob. What an experience you should have! Hope you will take lots of photos and write a ride report to share!
Be safe and have fun!
RA :banana:

ada@prorider.or
07-31-2006, 07:46 AM
i offered my selve but will not go
reason there is no permit or license to hold this race

and must wave all my rights in liability ,even when a death occurs i can not do that

remember in europe there is no insurance covers you when you attend a race

i hope that all that will go and willing to take this risk
a good time and have fun
cees

William
07-31-2006, 07:32 PM
RA

Hi Cuz,

Had a long talk with Mrs. William. And another one....and another one. Just not in the cards right now. Too short of notice to get family things in order for going. :crap:

I'm glad to hear that we have a forum crew going. :banana: Reports please as soon as you can when you get back.

William

BoulderGeek
08-01-2006, 12:00 AM

RABikes2
09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
For those curious, our own davep (Dave Pyle) of Ft. Lauderdale, has been crewing for Rob Kish in Europe at the Le Tour Ultime http://www.letourultime.com since Sept. 1st. Le Tour Ultime is the Tour de France in one stage. It looks like there have been some exciting moments in the mountains. If you click on "Photos" (on the right) and go to "Race 2006 5 Sept", the first two photos are of Rob Kish climbing Mont Ventoux with his follow van. Dave is supposed to be driving the follow van. The "News" Race Reports (on the left) are great, too. Reading what these riders are doing in the Alps is unbelievable. GO KISH! :banana: GO DAVE! :banana:
RA

RABikes2
09-05-2006, 10:11 PM
WOW! For a real treat, (on the left) click on "Route Profile"!! ;)
You can also send a message at "View and sign our guestbook".
RA

fiamme red
11-10-2006, 01:11 PM
http://www.ultracycling.com/results/letourultime2006_giacin.html