PDA

View Full Version : UCI and discs-update

oldpotatoe
09-05-2016, 07:25 AM
Latest on discs in the professional peloton..from the teams and 'union'=

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/uci-not-planning-to-resume-disc-brake-trials-anytime-soon-48037

merckx
09-05-2016, 07:54 AM
UCI, please don't stop with a disc brake ban, also bring back sensible racing machines to the peloton.

AJosiahK
09-05-2016, 08:06 AM
probably a good thing. The pro peloton doesn't need discs right now, at least in my opinion. They have multiple mechanics, wheelsets per rider, pads galore that excessive wear on a particular item isn't much of an issue for a heavily sponsored team IMO

Cicli
09-05-2016, 08:09 AM
probably a good thing. The pro peloton doesn't need discs right now, at least in my opinion. They have multiple mechanics, wheelsets per rider, pads galore that excessive wear on a particular item isn't much of an issue for a heavily sponsored team IMO

Most road bikes dont need disc brakes. Cool? Maybe. Necessity? Only if you are in marketing.

ergott
09-05-2016, 08:36 AM
The most valid reasons for not accepting disc brakes in the pro ranks yet have to do with the lack of standardization. If they agree on disc size and axle type there should be no reason to prevent moving forward with them. Maybe teams will choose not to use them for all race conditions, but the options should be there in my opinion.

Hindmost
09-05-2016, 10:23 AM
UCI, please don't stop with a disc brake ban, also bring back sensible racing machines to the peloton.

Chrome! All bikes must have some chrome on them.

adub
09-05-2016, 10:53 AM
It's gonna happen. The big bike mfg's accountants and CFO's spreadsheets say so.

From a financial perspective this is the biggest innovation in road bikes since the carbon frame.

saab2000
09-05-2016, 11:05 AM
It's gonna happen. The big bike mfg's accountants and CFO's spreadsheets say so.

From a financial perspective this is the biggest innovation in road bikes since the carbon frame.

We've been hearing this year for several years. I'm not convinced they're coming to pro racing anytime soon. The riders are not clamoring for them and in fact most riders don't seem to want them.

We may see some more usage in cyclocross events but we may be a ways away from adoption of this technology in pro racing.

That said, they're coming and are in fact already here for bikes that aren't made for pro road racing.

Dead Man
09-05-2016, 12:11 PM
I'd say at least 1/5th of the bikes at Oregon races this year had disc

Not sure what those guys plans are for neutral wheels... Guess they'll dig through the pile and find their own neutrals? As mentioned, the lack of standardization means even if you happen to have a disc set on top odds are almost zero the wheel will work on your bike out of the trunk.

I think once 9100 is released and used that'll probably become the standard though - and looks like they're using 12mm thru axel and 140mm rotors. I'm not stoked about the thru axel crap, but I'll adapt

It's absolutely coming, gents - inside of 3 years, MOST new road bikes on the showroom floor will be disc.

bigbill
09-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Now there'll be more crashes because riders can't stop. :)

Ken Robb
09-05-2016, 12:38 PM

WHAT??? They are now making frames out of carbon??? Does Grant Petersen know about this? :eek:

Cicli
09-05-2016, 12:45 PM

Yep, have to figure out how to sell more bikes. Frames dont change until you need to run disc. Then you need a new "lot of things". Marketing genius.

enr1co
09-05-2016, 02:09 PM

and all black shorts with w/sponsor logo in white only ;)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gmi6wOUwfV0/TqUl-cMWSvI/AAAAAAAALYI/08Zk6DlH0UE/s1600/5731413146_82e08e963d_o.jpg

mike mcdermid
09-05-2016, 02:48 PM
I'd say at least 1/5th of the bikes at Oregon races this year had disc

Not sure what those guys plans are for neutral wheels... Guess they'll dig through the pile and find their own neutrals? As mentioned, the lack of standardization means even if you happen to have a disc set on top odds are almost zero the wheel will work on your bike out of the trunk.

I think once 9100 is released and used that'll probably become the standard though - and looks like they're using 12mm thru axel and 140mm rotors. I'm not stoked about the thru axel crap, but I'll adapt

It's absolutely coming, gents - inside of 3 years, MOST new road bikes on the showroom floor will be disc.

Mavic say you can licence their speed axle

we were recentley asked to make disc guards with cooling ducts...i joke you not

in other news the most exciting thing the UCI may be dropping the 3-1 ratio required for making aerodynamic things go faster

martl
09-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Mavic say you can licence their speed axle

we were recentley asked to make disc guards with cooling ducts...i joke you not

in other news the most exciting thing the UCI may be dropping the 3-1 ratio required for making aerodynamic things go faster

UCI have to balance two things: One is to keep the character of cycling as a sport, where the rider decides who wins, not the gear.

The other is to keep the sponsors interested, which still mostly come from the bike industry, especially below Pro-Tour teams.
These have a natural interest in things that make people go out and purchase a new bike.

It actually is very hard to create rules that allow both, and thats why rthe technical paragraphs of UCI are almost comical.

But then, no one, not even a bike inventor, would want bike races to develop into a constructeurs championat. These things exist, just look at the HPV race in battle mountain, or any HPV race for that matter. Here, the most developed bike wins, not the best rider.

From that point of view, there is little harm in disk brakes. No one wins a bike race because he has the (arguably) better brake.

Stephen2014
09-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Ban team cars. Let everyone ride whatever they want as long as it's a normal production bike/components and whoever gets a puncture has to fix the mthrfcr themselves!
The legendary tales are such as when a rider had to fix his own forks at the blacksmith's joint, not some bland team car stuff that happens a thousand times.

Hindmost
09-05-2016, 07:33 PM
The legendary tales are such as when a rider had to fix his own forks at the blacksmith's joint..

...and he was DQ'ed.

Peter P.
09-05-2016, 07:46 PM
While I'm not a fan of discs, I can see them having a practical application in road racing. I agree with ergott's assertion that standardization is holding back acceptance, especially designs that facilitate quick wheel changes.

It's clear that carbon rims have poorer performance with rim brakes than aluminum rims, even when using carbon specific pads. Also, the occasional problem of rims heating up from mountain descent braking, softening the tubular glue and leading to rolled tires is a minor, but potential problem. Discs solve both.

What I find hard to understand is why can't the choice be left up to the teams and sponsors? Let THEM worry about spare availability or neutral support's lack thereof. The cost differential between discs and caliper brakes is not prohibitive. And if the braking advantages of discs vs. calipers are so significant in the rain, then it won't take long for teams to jump on the bandwagon.

Tests have shown the disc doesn't heat up as much as claimed, and concerns about cutting injuries would be eliminated with constant diameter (non-profiled) disc circumferences.

saab2000
09-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Synthetic pads and clipless pedals need to be banned. Same with bikes made of anything but steel and if the tubes aren't attached with lugs the rider must be DQ'd.

If we could get back to the Campagnolo Cambio Corsa life would be better too. And anodized rims are nothing but trouble. In my day we used rims made of tin foil. And. We. Liked. It.

Oh, and helmets must be banned.

Somewhere I have a lawn in my future and everyone must exit my lawn.

http://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/files/files/images/2015/4/13/140207_2724044_Weekend_Update_Segment___Grumpy_Old _Man_anvver_2.jpg

Cicli
09-06-2016, 02:26 AM
Synthetic pads and clipless pedals need to be banned. Same with bikes made of anything but steel and if the tubes aren't attached with lugs the rider must be DQ'd.

If we could get back to the Campagnolo Cambio Corsa life would be better too. And anodized rims are nothing but trouble. In my day we used rims made of tin foil. And. We. Liked. It.

Oh, and helmets must be banned.

Somewhere I have a lawn in my future and everyone must exit my lawn.

http://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/files/files/images/2015/4/13/140207_2724044_Weekend_Update_Segment___Grumpy_Old _Man_anvver_2.jpg

Do horse people have these issues? I am thinking we need to go back to racing chariots.

Stephen2014
09-06-2016, 04:35 AM
...and he was DQ'ed.

Not so, he was given a 3 minute time penalty because the blacksmith's boy worked the bellows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Christophe

oldpotatoe
09-06-2016, 05:18 AM
While I'm not a fan of discs, I can see them having a practical application in road racing. I agree with ergott's assertion that standardization is holding back acceptance, especially designs that facilitate quick wheel changes.

It's clear that carbon rims have poorer performance with rim brakes than aluminum rims, even when using carbon specific pads. Also, the occasional problem of rims heating up from mountain descent braking, softening the tubular glue and leading to rolled tires is a minor, but potential problem. Discs solve both.

What I find hard to understand is why can't the choice be left up to the teams and sponsors? Let THEM worry about spare availability or neutral support's lack thereof. The cost differential between discs and caliper brakes is not prohibitive. And if the braking advantages of discs vs. calipers are so significant in the rain, then it won't take long for teams to jump on the bandwagon.

Tests have shown the disc doesn't heat up as much as claimed, and concerns about cutting injuries would be eliminated with constant diameter (non-profiled) disc circumferences.

Maybe it was somebody not well versed in thru-axles but look up Peter Sagan's front wheel change..quick it wasn't.

I yak with the boys at shimano and Campag all the time. THEY talk to gen-u-ine pro racers all the time too and ask..'what can be improved'..'better brakes' seldom if ever comes up. These guys ride in the rain all the time and with big alpine descents..and they HAVE tried discs but the response from the riders, is 'meh'...

It'll happen, just not yet, was the point of the article. BUT standard they are not, not even close as some frame makers come out with another axle 'standard' like Boost.

ERK55
09-06-2016, 01:33 PM
In June I had occasion to speak at length with a pro mechanic who travels overseas regularly with a US based team. I asked specifically how they/he feel about disc brakes. He thought they were fine for amateurs, or commuters.

In terms of the riders on his team it's not that "they aren't clamoring for disc brakes". He said that his guys just don't want them, period.

Of course sponsors will ultimately have something to say about that, no?

mike mcdermid
09-07-2016, 03:54 AM
this is all you need to know

WFSGI - Welcome to the WFSGI

the UCI are just the patsy

chiasticon
09-07-2016, 08:34 AM
I get that sponsors want pros to be on the stuff they want to sell to amateurs. but a lot of amateurs are already going to discs, for gravel and B-road style bikes. and it's hard to find a cross bike without discs any more. of course, they can't market within the gravel racing genre because those races are largely unsanctioned, with next to zero press. and advertising in the tour is a MUCH bigger venue. but if it's not gonna fit there because the riders don't want it, just leave it be. more and more people are buying fat-tired all-around bikes (sometimes in addition to their road, cx, MTB, etc) with discs on them. there's money there, just don't get greedy.

(I know this will never happen, I'm just ranting.)