PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Clincher Tubeless vs Tubed....

GParkes
09-04-2016, 09:42 PM
OK, we've recently discussed how carbon clinchers can fail due to overheating from extended braking. The deterioration of the rim, coupled with the expansion of the inner tube due to increased heat, causing the rim to crap out. Now, there was no mention in any of the prior threads about tubeless carbon clinchers (that I could find). Yes, the air inside the tire will expand with or without a tube. But I wonder if the tubeless tire would be less likely to blow off given the tighter fit.

The rim will still suffer damage, but perhaps the tubeless tire will be more resistant to the heat expansion? Running slightly lower pressures in tubeless tires provides an additional 10-15 PSI cushion?? I don't run any tubeless tires, so have no point of reference. Just an additional thought on the carbon clincher brake challenges. Any engineers out there with some thoughts?

Mark McM
09-06-2016, 10:32 AM
The lower pressure and tighter bead fit may help, but I suspect that the differences will be marginal. The main culprit in rim failure isn't the increase in pneumatic pressure, it is the heat. And there will be just as much braking heat in tubeless clinchers as there is in standard clinchers.

ripvanrando
09-06-2016, 12:57 PM
OK, we've recently discussed how carbon clinchers can fail due to overheating from extended braking. The deterioration of the rim, coupled with the expansion of the inner tube due to increased heat, causing the rim to crap out. Now, there was no mention in any of the prior threads about tubeless carbon clinchers (that I could find). Yes, the air inside the tire will expand with or without a tube. But I wonder if the tubeless tire would be less likely to blow off given the tighter fit.

The rim will still suffer damage, but perhaps the tubeless tire will be more resistant to the heat expansion? Running slightly lower pressures in tubeless tires provides an additional 10-15 PSI cushion?? I don't run any tubeless tires, so have no point of reference. Just an additional thought on the carbon clincher brake challenges. Any engineers out there with some thoughts?

I blew off a tubeless Compass Bon Jon

I have Vittoria Corsa Speeds on that particular carbon rimmed wheels at the moment and have used Schwalbe Pro One tubeless on them too.