PDA

View Full Version : Impractical to expect one build to accommodate 28-40nm tires?

stuckinthecity
09-04-2016, 04:36 PM
I'm putting together a wish list for my next frameset, which will be 700c, and based around disc brakes.

I'm currently mostly riding a frame with caliper brakes, 28mm tires, and about 7cm of bottom bracket drop. Another frame of mine runs 32mm tires.

I am thinking that I would like to downsize to one frame only as an all rounder. I would like the option of running larger tires.

Is it impractical to expect a frame to ride well with a tire range from 28 to say, 40mm tires? What's the practical spread between tire sizes, if any?

thirdgenbird
09-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I've been thinking about a build that runs 32mm slicks on 700c wheels and like a 2in mtb tire on a 650b rim. Overal diameter should be darn close.

The goal would be the same. Replace my fat tire road bike and cross bike that I use for off-road fun.

adrien
09-04-2016, 04:53 PM
I don't think so, though I am not a builder.

You'd need long reach brakes for that, or discs. And you will notice different handling with different sized tires, including differences in turn in.

As an example, I have a lugged road frame that was build to handle up to 38 or so tires. I rode it first with 28s, then for years with 25s, then with 27s, and now with 30s that are actually closer to 34 mounted. It can be done, but ultimately it's a conversation between you and the builder (if you go handmade).

Your other option is to play with the diameter. Discs allow you to not be limited in varying the diameter of the rim -- some of the coolest bikes I've seen recently can handle 650 and 700 wheels, alternating based on the size of the tires. So a 650 could have a 40 tire on it, and that could handle very much like the same bike with 700c wheels and say a 25, just be useful for a very different surface.

rnhood
09-04-2016, 05:01 PM
I would question why you need 40mm tires. If there is a need due to versatility and expected terrain, then why not just get a cross bike? Something like the Trek Boone or Spec Crux (or any of a number of other cross/all purpose type bikes) will take a 40, and for those fast group rides they will take a 25. All in a good riding and lightweight frameset. The Boone has fender mounts so you can put a rack and head out for some cyclotouring.

Seems to me that when the terrain calls for 40mm tires, you are on the threshold of needing an mtb.

sonicCows
09-04-2016, 05:08 PM

cnighbor1
09-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Rivendell does build frames that accommodate a tire range from 28 to say 40mm tires
check out their bicycles online

Kirk007
09-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Niner RLTs fit this bill - could demo one and see what you think; I'm sure there are others and custom sure. Alternative would be look at a build that allowed you to swap 28s on 700c rims and 42s on 650B.

jtakeda
09-05-2016, 12:10 AM
Definitely possible if you choose canti over caliper brakes.

Peter P.
09-05-2016, 05:55 AM
I would question why you need 40mm tires. If there is a need due to versatility and expected terrain, then why not just get a cross bike?

The UCI limits tire size on cyclocross bikes to 34mm I believe. Therefore, you can expect most 'cross bikes to be built around that limit. stuckinthecity would be better off looking for the slightly rarer "Monster 'Cross" bike such as the Soulcraft Dirtbomb (http://soulcraftbikes.com/bikes/dirtbomb/).

I don't think varying the tire size from 28-40mm will render a bike unrideable. It may change it's characteristics, but it can still be fast, fun, and certainly handle-able.

I've installed 1" road tires on my full rigid MTB and had no problems riding it on the road. Of course, it takes 2.1" knobbies as well, so there should be proof that varying tire size isn't that critical.

marciero
09-05-2016, 06:19 AM
The two issues are brakes and chain stay clearance/chainline. It seems to me that 28/700 and 42/650b with discc is the way to go if want to do this. that takes care of brake issue. With that you can still get road type Q factor and 130 rear spacing. You probably wont be able to do that with 2 in. tires though. So you would be looking at 135 spacing. Not such a biggie perhaps. As others have said, 42 with 650b will preserve the handling from 700/28, though lower pressure makes it less crisp. In fact, the 42 will slightly lower the BB. I think is preferable to a huge increase in BB height that would come with going from 28 to >40 on a 700c wheel.

sandyrs
09-05-2016, 06:53 AM
The UCI limits tire size on cyclocross bikes to 34mm I believe. Therefore, you can expect most 'cross bikes to be built around that limit. stuckinthecity would be better off looking for the slightly rarer "Monster 'Cross" bike such as the Soulcraft Dirtbomb (http://soulcraftbikes.com/bikes/dirtbomb/).

I don't think varying the tire size from 28-40mm will render a bike unrideable. It may change it's characteristics, but it can still be fast, fun, and certainly handle-able.

I've installed 1" road tires on my full rigid MTB and had no problems riding it on the road. Of course, it takes 2.1" knobbies as well, so there should be proof that varying tire size isn't that critical.

Many if not most cyclocross bikes made nowadays accept much larger tires than the UCI limit. Many fit a 38 or a 40.

I don't see the big issue. People swap between road and off road tires on cross bikes all the time. You could definitely have any competent builder build you a bike that works with both sizes. Since you're going disc anyway you should be all set brake-wise. Am I missing something?

nash
09-05-2016, 10:42 AM
That's the whole idea behind rawlands ravn

DrSpoke
09-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Check this: Open U.P. Alos, my Ridley X-Trail will run up to 38s, and probably a 40 in front, though I usually run 30s. But it's very much a road oriented geometry and is fine on 25s too.

Pastashop
09-05-2016, 04:29 PM
I've an old Serotta that uses 130mm (longish, horizontal) dropout spacing, fits up to 38 mm 700c tires (no room for fenders) with med reach caliper brakes, and can do 42 mm 650b tires with long reach caliper brakes. I've also ridden it plenty with 28 mm 700c tires, quite enjoyably. The chain stays are fairly long, but correspondingly, the Q factor is also quite narrow.

Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross should work even better... A couple of the Rivendell offerings, too.

fourflys
09-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross should work even better....

This... I'm actually looking to get a set of the 38mm Compass Tires Barlow Pass since the Monster Cross can take up to a 43mm... But, I have no doubt my 28mm Clement LGGs would be just fine as well...

spookyload
09-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Cross bike does exactly what you are looking for. If you get a race oriented cross/gravel bike, your wishes will be met. My Lynskey Procross does just nicely with 40mm tires on the rear. Disk brakes, check. Race geometry, check. Doesn't have rack mounts, but their next lower down cross bike does. Blow outs on Lynskey at eBay right now. They are selling 2015 inventory at Nashbar and eBay. Not really sure how they hope to keep dealers when they are selling factory direct on eBay with no reserve auctions. Many are going for under $1k

sjbraun
09-05-2016, 06:19 PM
The Monstercross fits that range of tires easily.

weisan
09-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Impractical??

Of course not!

You talking about a country where people do this...

http://www.rantcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/monster-truck-7.jpg

stuckinthecity
09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
I prefer sticking with 700c for compatibility with other bikes, including girlfriend's.

I'm mostly worried about bottom bracket height. I love the idea of using 40mm tire wheelset in the winter and for some long gravel rides, and then be able to put on the 28mm wheelset otherwise. I know this is a bit of a holy grail maybe.

Macadamia
09-05-2016, 08:10 PM
most bikes these days can accommodate 40 nanometers easily :p

John H.
09-05-2016, 08:16 PM
It is entirely possible to make a bike that takes 40mm tires, question is do you want a bike with that length chainstays and fork length.
Barring that- it is all good.

fa63
09-05-2016, 08:25 PM
I have been riding this thing for almost a year now:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160906/876c941b516834a3252bbd7bf473ff72.jpg

It is built around proper long reach brakes and it can handle 40 mm tires. But I ride it with 28 mm tires most of the time and it rides very well with those as well. I can't remember the details but the geometry is pretty standard. I imagine building something like this with disc brakes shouldn't be a problem either if you don't want rim brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourflys
09-05-2016, 08:33 PM
It is entirely possible to make a bike that takes 40mm tires, question is do you want a bike with that length chainstays and fork length.
Barring that- it is all good.

no worries with the Black Mtn... the bike handles as well, if not better, than any other bike in that category...

sandyrs
09-05-2016, 08:41 PM
I prefer sticking with 700c for compatibility with other bikes, including girlfriend's.

I'm mostly worried about bottom bracket height. I love the idea of using 40mm tire wheelset in the winter and for some long gravel rides, and then be able to put on the 28mm wheelset otherwise. I know this is a bit of a holy grail maybe.

It is not a holy grail! Any cross bike with a normal height bb will be fine. You might be overthinking this one a bit. 2016 marketing would have you believe that gravel, road, cyclocross, etc. bikes all ride very differently. They just don't. The differences are subtle.

For example the Turner Cyclosys would be a great choice. Reasonable BB drop, big tire clearance, fair price, etc. Most big manufacturers probably tick your boxes too.

unterhausen
09-05-2016, 09:18 PM
my cross bike has 40mm tires on it now, but I wouldn't hesitate to put 28mm tires on it. I like bigger tires though. My road bike has 28mm tires on it right now and I hate dodging potholes.

oldpotatoe
09-06-2016, 06:17 AM
Cross bike does exactly what you are looking for. If you get a race oriented cross/gravel bike, your wishes will be met. My Lynskey Procross does just nicely with 40mm tires on the rear. Disk brakes, check. Race geometry, check. Doesn't have rack mounts, but their next lower down cross bike does. Blow outs on Lynskey at eBay right now. They are selling 2015 inventory at Nashbar and eBay. Not really sure how they hope to keep dealers when they are selling factory direct on eBay with no reserve auctions. Many are going for under $1k

They aren't. Any LBS that wants to compete with the manufacturer is being dummm.

ripvanrando
09-06-2016, 08:10 AM
A good builder should be able to do it. Handling could be different when switching tire widths. I have a custom bike that will take up to 38 mm and when I go from 28 mm to the 38 mm width, the low speed handling is noticeably different but not a huge issue

benb
09-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Same as others said. I have a bike I've run from 28-38c on. Since it's built to take up to a 42c it just seems to work better with the bigger tires, and it's not really terribly slower although it can feel slower.

Keep in mind the bigger thing is if you're switching back and forth between different rims with different tires it's important your 2 sets of rims are the same external width depending on the type of brakes you have. That's one thing I've run into.

David Tollefson
09-06-2016, 08:38 AM
I've built a few, and it's really no big thing to accommodate 700x25-28 and 650bx42 on the same frame. Mt MTB (granted, it's a single speed) uses a road BB and crank with 26x2.25" knobbies, and though the clearance at the chainstays is a little tight, I've never had the tires rub the stays. Strategic crimping gets the job done with no issues. My current gravel rig easily takes up to 700x48, and I have a second wheelset with 28's - it handles just fine on either set.

ColonelJLloyd
09-06-2016, 08:40 AM
This isn't a hard to accommodate request in the least. In fact, there are quite a few production frames that comply.

weisan
09-06-2016, 08:46 AM
When I got my custom bike seven years ago, I specifically requested that it be able to accommodate up to 35 mm tires.

Rather than fixating on tire widths, I try to envision the kind of car I am driving out my garage that morning for my ride...

When I am on "thinner" tires (23-27mm), I am driving my...

http://img.autobytel.com/car-reviews/autobytel/130863-sporty-coupes/2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-on-road-blue.jpg

When I am on the "mediums" (28-30mm), I am driving my...

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/14q2/584476/2014-honda-odyssey-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-607070-s-450x274.jpg

And finally, when I take out the "bad boy" (32-35mm), I am decidedly doing this...

http://www.jeep.com/assets/images/vehicles/2016/wrangler/vlp/mod-hero/2016_wrangler_rubicon_soft_top_hero.jpg

alembical
09-06-2016, 11:22 AM
I have a Ridley X-Trail that I run 28 continental 4000 IIs and 38 Continental Gravel grinders with. The bike can fit 40s. I am happy.

eippo1
09-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Most gravel grinder style bikes should be able to accommodate you. They will ride more like a road bike than a cross bike as well. My Warbird happily runs 28mm slicks, 30mm Michelin Jets, and 40mm Clement MSO's. I do have a slightly wider rim wheelset that I use for the wider tires, though.