PDA

View Full Version : caliper brake recommendations?

vqdriver
09-04-2016, 02:17 PM
so i'm using a frankenstein solution on a bike in search of nice grabby braking, but it's proving elusive. i'm used to grabby and strong but for whatever reason, the current setup is just meh.

current setup is:
dt rr1.1 rims
sram red 10sp levers
ultegra 6700 calipers
swisstop blue bxp pads

i've already tried cleaning the brake surface, both mechanically and chemically, and sanding the pads. new cables, etc..
i wonder now if the calipers just don't play nice with the levers, but i was under the impression that in the 10sp days, shimano and sram shared the same pull ratio, hence trying the 6700 calipers from the previous sram red.

any aftermarket calipers i should try or am i just missing something simple?

dave thompson
09-04-2016, 02:29 PM
6800 calipers are the best I've found and fairly inexpensive too. The single biggest improvement to brake feel, modulation and stopping efficiency that I've experienced is a switch to KoolStop salmon pads and careful setup.

Try the KoolStop on your 6700 calipers and if you still want more, the pads will fit on any other Shimano compatible holders.

simonov
09-04-2016, 03:16 PM
The Kool Stop Salmons that dave recommended are great. Added to the latest gen SRAM Red brakes and you should have gobs of stopping power.

franswa
09-04-2016, 04:29 PM
I found the 105 5800 calipers to be above average. Then I switched to Yokozuna Reaction compression-less cable housing and now my brakes can stop an elephant. These cables are the most affordable way to improve braking, besides the aforementioned koolstop pads.

RowanB
09-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Shimano changed pull ratio from 9sp to 10sp, whereas I think all SRAM levers have the same pull as Shimano 9sp.

Charles M
09-04-2016, 06:01 PM
bongo above...

Your lever pull ratio is off when you mix those two.

You can try and fix it with pad combinations and or you can change levers to 6 Series Ultegra or D ace OR you can go get a set of EE's that work very well with that pull ratio...

OR...

You can go get a set of SRAM Force Hydro Rim brakes (or RED) which are hands down the best rim caliper and lever sets available right now.

jtbadge
09-04-2016, 06:35 PM
SRAM Red 10 speed brakes with SRAM levers seems to do the trick for me, even at 220#.

oldpotatoe
09-05-2016, 06:15 AM
bongo above...

Your lever pull ratio is off when you mix those two.

You can try and fix it with pad combinations and or you can change levers to 6 Series Ultegra or D ace OR you can go get a set of EE's that work very well with that pull ratio...

OR...

You can go get a set of SRAM Force Hydro Rim brakes (or RED) which are hands down the best rim caliper and lever sets available right now.

He has 6700....Rather an expensive and complicated answer to a pretty simple question, yes?

sram levers-get sram caliper brakes..for best performance..like $55 or so.

Yes, match lever maker to caliper maker and it'll work more better.

verbs4us
09-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Endorsement of EE brakes, which might become more available now that they are part of Cane Creek. Mine work well with Athena levers. Probably the most linear brake i've ever used, and plenty of stopping power.

kramnnim
09-05-2016, 07:44 PM
This ^

Charles M
09-05-2016, 08:05 PM
He has 6700Rather an expensive and complicated answer to a pretty simple question, yes?

sram levers-get sram caliper brakes..for best performance..like $55 or so.

5h!t...