PDA

View Full Version : Max spoke tension for Mavic OP rims ?

Louis
07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
The Park Tool web site suggests that when tensioning spokes you use as high an average value as possible. In addition, the rim is typically the weak point and limiting factor on how high one can go.

So, for a wheel built with an Mavic Open Pro rim what is a good rule of thumb for the upper limit on the tension? (Ignore any side to side issues with non-symetric dish.)

I checked the Mavic site, but they did not have much tech info.

Thanks
Louis

DarkStar
07-12-2006, 07:53 PM
With the park tool gauge, the max tension with 32/36 hole OPs is 22.5 on the drive side, and about 16/17 on the non drive side. The front wheel is tensioned to 22 all around.
I use DT double butted spokes, 1.8/2.0 mm, 3 cross pattern. You can go higher but you run the risk of developing premature rim cracks around the eyelets.
Using these values you should be able to build up a very responsive, durable set of wheels. I rarely have to touch up my rims and I'm a 230lbs sprinting fool. Hope this helps, others may disagree.
Cheers

Louis
07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks DS.

So if we assume that your wheels went as high as is typically recommended, then a good max would be a bit under 23, maybe a bit more if you want to push it. If that works for you over time, then I would think that that would be fine for me, since I'm 180 +/- a bit (and certainly not a sprinter).

Louis

Dude
07-12-2006, 10:56 PM
mavic recommends a max of 110 Kgf on their rims. WIth the park tensiometer, they provide a chart of conversion factors from there scale to kgf.

Hope that helps, have fun building!!

Louis
07-12-2006, 11:58 PM
According to the Park conversion table (http://www.parktool.com/products/documents/TM_1table_2005912_4301.pdf) for a 1.8 mm spoke a deflection reading of 22 is 111 Kgf and 23 is 124 Kgf so it looks like the DarkStar and Dude numbers are consistent.

Thanks guys.

Louis