PDA

View Full Version : Bear spray

Hilltopperny
09-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I just moved to the gateway to the Adirondacks. As I was riding along route 29 a few mornings ago I spotted a large black bear crossing into the local 4 wheeler/snowmobile trail. I realize it's highly unlikely that a black bear will attack unprovoked, but I would rather be prepared than need something and not have it. On the same ride I had a young deer dart out a few feet in front of me. I heard some rustling in the bushes next to me and saw a coyote turn and run the opposite way.

Wondering if there are any preferred methods to protect yourselves from wildlife and if any of you have experience with different bear sprays and such. I would like to use some sort of deterrent rather than have to ride with a firearm as I don't want the neighboring folks to think I'm nuts riding around on a surly ecr with a rifle mount. I'm in nys where you have to jump through hoops for a pistol permit...

stephenmarklay
09-04-2016, 09:29 AM
I would carry it myself. Bear spray containers however are pretty large. I doubt you will have any problems however.

I always carry pepper spray for dogs and those are nice since you can get them smaller. I am not sure if bear spray will go further in distance but I think they are the same product.

CampyorBust
09-04-2016, 09:33 AM
I hear ya, we have an increase of bear activity in my area. I think i saw one this year, and there are new sighting almost daily. A mama with cubs, a huge papa bear and a smaller bear shaking trees. Heard a story that some guy hit one on his road bike. We are in a drought and all the little streams in the woods are dry so they are venturing out into dog walking areas and ponds. Black bears are not to be messed with, one killed a foolish fellow taking pics in NJ last year i think. The one i saw two years ago was very big. I would not think you crazy for riding around armed.

Had a convo with a bear in a dream a few nights ago, my dog kept him at bay and we seemed to have an understanding. Majestic creatures worthy of respek.

Hilltopperny
09-04-2016, 09:38 AM
I have 2 Olde English bulldogges at the house to deter the wildlife as well as my hunting rifles. The old lady who used to live here had a black bear and a moose come through a few years back. We have a natural spring that feeds the pond on the property close to the house, so I understand the possibility of larger wildlife being around.

Steve in SLO
09-04-2016, 09:52 AM
How about riding with a bell to warn them? They don't like being around us.

djg21
09-04-2016, 09:56 AM
I'm not far from you, and I carry a Kimber Pepperblaster II.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster-ii-red

I am more concerned about drunken rednecks in rusted out pickups with confederate flags and "make America great again" bumper stickers, but I don't see why the Pepperblaster wouldn't work with dogs or wildlife. Granted, the pepper blasters are not as big and contain less chemical.

I've had a few encounters with bears while riding my MTB in the Rockies. Each time the bears lumbered off before I could get too close, and I was able to turn around and ride in the other direction.

christian
09-04-2016, 09:56 AM
I hike and climb a lot in the Adirondacks and Catskills.

I guess I'd be ok with mounting a cowbell that rings continuously, but I think it would drive me crazy. From a risk management perspective, I don't think bear spray is necessary unless you are dealing with particularly habituated bears in a campground or other area where people have practiced poor food storage and bear management techniques.

djg21
09-04-2016, 09:58 AM
How about riding with a bell to warn them? They don't like being around us.

http://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/trail-news/do-bear-bells-really-work/

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2013/08/26/are-bear-bells-effective/

http://briangreen.net/2012/07/poll-bear-bells-effective-or-gimmick.html

I wouldn't mind one for mtbing.

gdw
09-04-2016, 09:59 AM
I carry a camera. Unfortunately they run off before I can pull it out and get a clean shot.

CampyorBust
09-04-2016, 10:06 AM
This is the one I saw...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/IMG_5126_zpsczwv8cnq.jpg

I stopped an elderly lady walking on the road towards the bear...

Me- "Ma'am there is a very large Black Bear up a head"
Ma'am- "Yeah I know he is my nieghbor, he is looking for bird seed in feeders"

She kept on walking like it was nothing lol, if you feed the birds beware they do like bird seed.

Just walk around hitting two sticks together:)...

https://youtu.be/k0HgUBWiR7o

R3awak3n
09-04-2016, 10:21 AM
We recently went bike camping and my buddy brought bear spray, I laughed because I did not really think we needed it but I guess better safe... His bear spray was pretty small (compared to the big ones I have seen, his was tiny). Not sure what brand it was but I know he got it at REI.

Then again, if I go onto places that might have bears I will have a rando front bag on me so I don't mind carrying. If I am just going to stay on the road, it should be totally fine, no need for spray or bag.

rwsaunders
09-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Bear spray has a higher percentage of capsaicin (same pepper base as in your embro) than basic pepper spray and it shoots out to about 30', vs 10-15' for pepper spray. I have a friend who's a game warden in NW PA and he carries this brand essentially in a holster when he's in the woods when bears are active. There's one made for your water bottle cage if you're really concerned.

http://counterassault.com

http://www.counterassaultstore.com/product_p/bbskt.htm

malcolm
09-04-2016, 10:44 AM
I carry bear spray at all times out west, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana cause I've seen more than a few grizzlies and blacks and while I love em they scare the crap out of me.
A park employee was killed by a grizzly this summer in Glacier while mtn biking, friend got away. Sounds like they rode up on the bear accidently.
It has to be readily available if you need it. Bear spray is considerably more potent than pepper spray and unless I'm mistaken it sprays farther and makes a larger cloud.

Zoodles
09-04-2016, 10:57 AM
I come across bears regularly on road and dirt/gravel. The only tine I carry spray though is mtb'ing deep in the woods with narrow trails (or with the kids).
As mentioned they split pretty quick, bells work to avoid them but can be annoying, I use them in high activity areas, and a whistle works to scare them off. On the off chance you run into the very unusual angry bear (or meth head) spray is a good last option. You can get a waterbottle with a gasket as a holder or just use a jersey pocket.
Knowing whats going in your woods/ area really helps. Imo the old lady had the right approach, respect and admire them they are part of what makes the area so beautiful.

gdw
09-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Bear spray is very potent but you need to get it in the bear's face for it to be effective. A near miss just pisses them off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0

malcolm
09-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Bear spray is very potent but you need to get it in the bear's face for it to be effective. A near miss just pisses them off.

I have to say if I were the bear in the video I would have eaten her just to make that horrible voice stop.

christian
09-04-2016, 11:46 AM
"Bear, why are you eating my kaaaaaayaaaaaak?!?!" Painful.

Cicli
09-04-2016, 12:18 PM
I have to say if I were the bear in the video I would have eaten her just to make that horrible voice stop.

No kidding.

What an imbecile.

Kirk007
09-04-2016, 12:27 PM
if solely on the road, work on your sprinting. The odds of a black bear giving chase to someone on a road bike or having any type of confrontation are probably less than the chance of being hit by lightening. If your doing a lot of mountain biking, particularly fall and spring, then I could see carrying bear spray. Black bears, as density increases in the east, more frequent encounters with humans can lead to habituation that decreases fear and could give rise to an aggressive bear. And should you end up between a sow and cubs that could be trouble

that guy
09-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Black bears are basically giant raccoons. They pose very little risk to people. A bell to prevent surprising one is by far the best way to avoid a run-in. You are far more likely to accidentally spray yourself and/or puncture the giant bear spray can.

godfrey1112000
09-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Please see panel 3

Hilltopperny
09-04-2016, 04:40 PM
It will be for my mixed terrain and trail rides. I am in a very rural part of nys and realize it is highly unlikely that I meet up with an aggressive bear, but would rather be safe than sorry. I will order a bell and spray. I am an animal lover and wish no ill will towards any of them, but after already encountering one a mile from my house and the coyote, I would like to have a good deterrent to keep safe.

zmudshark
09-04-2016, 05:34 PM
It is best to defer to our Northern brethren when it comes to dealing with bears.

Oh Canada.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/391806561.html

bigbill
09-04-2016, 07:38 PM
I carry pepper spray on my gravel rides in the fall/winter. I'm making lots of noise so wildlife pretty much avoids me but the occasional territorial dog will come out. Last year I emptied a spray on a dog in sight of his owner. Would have sprayed the owner if I could.

When we lived in the PNW, we had a bear den in the woods between the house and the road. About a 250# black bear that was there for the blackberries. We just made a lot on noise during berry season. If we had a dog it would have never settled on our property. Saw it several times then it moved on after the blackberries were gone.

tkbike
09-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Not sure what the gateway to the Adirondacks is, but I came across a mom and 2 cubs on my morning trail run in speculator this morning and never thought about needing bear spray. I cross paths with bears 5-6 times each year in the Adirondacks and have never felt the need for bear spray. I carry bear spray in Alaska, Montana and Idaho but have never thought about it in upstate NY for black bear. I run and mtb in the Adirondacks on a weekly basis and have never seen anybody but tourists carry bear spray!

jwess1234
09-04-2016, 11:35 PM
I know people who carry bear spray for the very rural areas. I've ridden in bear areas, but have never been bothered... moreso with dogs in parts of NH / MA (the further you go from cities, the worse the dogs seemed to be trained--owner fault/irresponsibility).

All in all not a bad idea. But you may need a license depending on the state (MA required you to register with the police). Just be careful spraying while riding. A friend fumbled a bit while using it against a dog and had a very uncomfortable ride home once after having to deter a dog (but intact calf muscle:))

verticaldoug
09-05-2016, 05:19 AM
to echo Kirk007, I'd worry about the true apex predator in north america - automobiles, than worry about a bear. Black bears are like big giant rats. There have been 3 fatal black bear attacks in continental U.S. since 2010 and one of these was from a pet bear.

Coyote attacks are even more rare. Unless you are cycling with your little dog, or a toddler, you are not at risk. If you see a coyote keeping an eye on you, it is probably more afraid of you, than you are of it.

A deer jumping out in front of you is something motorcyclists worry about, and you can try a mounting a deer whistle on your helmet. It will not look any sillier than a goPro. However, I think most of the time you are going slow enough to avoid the deer. Your better off not wearing earbuds since it will decrease your audtiory perception and peripheral vision and potentially slow reaction time.

Hilltopperny
09-05-2016, 05:34 AM
Not sure what the gateway to the Adirondacks is, but I came across a mom and 2 cubs on my morning trail run in speculator this morning and never thought about needing bear spray. I cross paths with bears 5-6 times each year in the Adirondacks and have never felt the need for bear spray. I carry bear spray in Alaska, Montana and Idaho but have never thought about it in upstate NY for black bear. I run and mtb in the Adirondacks on a weekly basis and have never seen anybody but tourists carry bear spray!
I live in lassellsville ny which is just a few miles outside the adirondack park. I would like to ride some of the local state forests and atv/snowmobile trails. I ride by myself and realize in all likelihood that the wildlife would rather avoid me, but would still like to be prepared if one gets aggressive. There is no cell service and some deep woods out this way. I am just being cautious as I've already spotted one bear and a coyote on one of my first road rides.

Peter P.
09-05-2016, 05:43 AM

That's because you're from New York, and local bears don't eat Democrats. The tourists are most likely Republicans, hence their fear.

CampyorBust
09-05-2016, 06:14 AM
If there is one animal I am scared of out there it is the mountain lion…

https://youtu.be/d4FbHzeCJjM

Used to live in SoCal when a few attacks on mtbers happened on my trails. My dog and I were shadowed by one (or a chubacabra?) along a ridge once, very eerie. So I started throwing rocks, when in doubt always throw rocks and then haul @$$ out of there.

stephenmarklay
09-05-2016, 06:33 AM
If there is one animal I am scared of out there it is the mountain lion…

https://youtu.be/d4FbHzeCJjM

Used to live in SoCal when a few attacks on mtbers happened on my trails. My dog and I were shadowed by one (or a chubacabra?) along a ridge once, very eerie. So I started throwing rocks, when in doubt always throw rocks and then haul @$$ out of there.

There area some here in WA state but last year I was in MI and they caught a mountain lion the size of a tiger. It was spectacular.

soulspinner
09-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Spent half a lifetime in the Adirondacks camping. Unless you hit them with a bike or screw with a cub you wont have a problem. A griz on the other hand...........

rockdude
09-05-2016, 07:36 AM
Black bears are basically giant raccoons. They pose very little risk to people. A bell to prevent surprising one is by far the best way to avoid a run-in. You are far more likely to accidentally spray yourself and/or puncture the giant bear spray can.

+1

I live in Bear Country and sometimes on a weekly bases I have an encounter where I am less then 10 yards away. They commonly hang out around my house. Hell, I go out and chase them away just like I do those damn kids that play in my yard. Make lots of noise and get them to turn around and head the opposite direction then charge at them and they run for the hills. They are over sized raccoons.

C. Matthews
09-05-2016, 09:20 AM

I was totally rooting for the bear in that one! Go bear go!

Hilltopperny
09-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Any suggestions for loud bells? I'm thinking of putting an air horn in my panniers as well.

gdw
09-05-2016, 12:37 PM
You're overreacting. Black bears don't attack cyclists.

Peter P.
09-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Any suggestions for loud bells? I'm thinking of putting an air horn in my panniers as well.

I have a bear bell (http://www.sunnysports.com/p-clnbbmyl/coghlans-bear-bell-with-magnetic-silencer-yellow?gclid=Cj0KEQjwr7S-BRD96_uw9JK8uNABEiQAujbffJQB2-MWBsx5hfLs1GmFNDnJZgNlQGxw0zxUJDD-yLYaAkv98P8HAQ&kwid=productads-adid^81355845363-device^c-plaid^72847704066-sku^CLNBBMYL@ADL4SS-adType^PLA) that velcro straps around the stem. You can wrap it around the seatpost, handlebars, wherever it makes the most noise. The silencing magnet wasn't that strong, so I augmented it with an extra. Otherwise, it works great.

YoKev
09-05-2016, 02:49 PM
We have a ton of black bears in the Catskills and Hudson Valley. Just don't smear apple sauce or whathaveyou on your face and you should be good. Multiple sightings every riding season on the road AND in the woods.

parris
09-05-2016, 06:22 PM
One of the things to be VERY aware with any kind of deterrent spray is wind direction/speed. OC products are instant in their effects and it sucks. On a positive note if you've got blocked sinuses they'll be cured...