PDA

View Full Version : 15-Years Later - 9/11 and Bikes

rs1115
09-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Hello -

In seven days we will observe the 15th Anniversary of 9/11, a day in which nearly 3,000 lives were lost including 343 New York City Fire Fighters (FDNY).

Since shortly after that fateful day, the US has been engaged in continuous combat operations, a period 3 times longer than our involvement in WW2. During this time, the US has lost 6,876 service members while an additional 52,475 have been wounded.

To mark the 15th Anniversary of 9/11, members of the FDNY will cycle from Montauk Long Island, stopping at Ground Zero at the end of Day 1, and will arrive at the Pentagon on 9/11. Having retired last year after 23 years of military service, I will be riding the 343 miles with this group - one mile for each fire fighter lost that day. http://www.fdny343ride.com

In keeping with the FDNY's ethos of selfless service, the funds we will raise will not go to support the widows and children of their fallen ranks. Instead, they have committed themselves to helping, as they can, some of the more than 52,000 service members that have been wounded in 15 years of combat. By directly funding select efforts, this group has changed lives with the nearly $500,000 raised since the ride began on the 10th Anniversary.

I am posting this in the general forum not to solicit donations, but rather to highlight this somber anniversary, one where cyclists will find solace for those they lost and those they will never forget reminding us all of the power of the bicycle.

In the midst of our busy lives and rides this coming weekend, I hope all can take a moment to remember.

Thank you,

R Sawyer

weisan
09-04-2016, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Sawyer pal.

I was at the library with my kids yesterday and incidentally, picked up a huge photojournalism book that chronicles the cleanup of Ground Zero, mammoth undertaking.

54ny77
09-04-2016, 05:29 AM
Have a GREAT ride and good luck to you & all participants. :cool:

velomateo
09-04-2016, 06:52 AM
Thanks for posting. I wish you and your fellow riders a good and safe ride.

p nut
09-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Can't believe it's been 15 yrs already. First, thanks for your efforts in making aware of those that have and continue to sacrifice.

That said, I hope that this isn't yet another "charity" organization taking advantage of all the benevolent souls (that's those who donate AND the participants). Sorry I have to be that guy, but seems over the last few years with the economy improving, I've been getting hit up for donations for policeman with disabilities, holocaust survivors fund, etc. A LOT of these organizations are money makers not for the people they claim to benefit, but the organizers (read:scumbags) of these "charities". Some report 80%+ operating costs while the very minimal amount (some as low as 3%) is used for the victims.

I'm not saying this organization is one of these scams, but just a reminder to do some research before giving. Lots of websites, like charity watch, give well, etc. are good resources.

To the OP, best of luck on the ride!

rs1115
09-04-2016, 09:32 PM
I appreciate your comments about the charity side of this ride. Why I spend my time with this organization, after digging on the WTC pile and being deployed for any number of years across my career is this group has zero overhead and writes checks directly to those who need it most. While they cannot help all, they manage to drive large ROI for those they can reach.

For example, an Airman was killed in the Brussels terror attack leaving the family in financial hardship with the mortgage. It was paid in full. At the end of the day whether or not the group makes a significant difference is hard to say in the midst of too many Veteran Service Organizations that are not focused on the important elements. Your skepticism is well-deserved. I like these guys because they run this out of their own spare time, a limitig factor to scalable growth to be sure but it's with full integrity. The firemen lost too much to do orherwise.