PDA

View Full Version : Describe the feel of using a latex tube

Veloo
09-03-2016, 11:15 AM
...with a decent clincher tire of course (Veloflex, Vittoria), without the words "rides like a tubular".

rnhood
09-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Have you ever ridden a butyl tube? The feel is identical. The tire dominates the feel.

OtayBW
09-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Latex tube is to butyl tube as lambskin condom is to latex condom.....:confused:
Heck - I don't know! I took a shot at it....

Veloo
09-03-2016, 11:22 AM
It was a nice try tho...

Latex tube is to butyl tube as lambskin condom is to latex condom.....:confused:
Heck - I don't know! I took a shot at it....

Tickdoc
09-03-2016, 11:23 AM
I was going to say it's like sex without a condom:banana:

thwart
09-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Have you ever ridden a butyl tube? The feel is identical. The tire dominates the feel.
I was going to say it's like sex without a condom:banana:
I think the correct answer, for me, is somewhere between the two. :cool:

Tickdoc
09-03-2016, 11:51 AM
I think the correct answer, for me, is somewhere between the two. :cool:

You might be right.....sex without a condom is reserved for tubulars:p

mg2ride
09-03-2016, 12:23 PM
I would be willing to bet a fairly large sum of money that in a truly blind test there is no way anyone could tell the difference.

However, there have been some claims from VERY experienced and reputable people (who have nothing to gain from the opinion) that latex tubes make a noticeable difference (more supple). The engineer in me can't see how it is at all possible given the completely arbitrary amount of energy that the tube could possibly account for.

However, I also acknowledge that other people might have much more sensitive butts than mine.

ripvanrando
09-03-2016, 12:52 PM
I would be willing to bet a fairly large sum of money that in a truly blind test there is no way anyone could tell the difference.

However, there have been some claims from VERY experienced and reputable people (who have nothing to gain from the opinion) that latex tubes make a noticeable difference (more supple). The engineer in me can't see how it is at all possible given the completely arbitrary amount of energy that the tube could possibly account for.

However, I also acknowledge that other people might have much more sensitive butts than mine.

Coast down test on my bumpy hill up to the stop sign. 1/4 mile is all I need.

How much you want to give me?

The energy absorption differential between a latex tube and a butyl tube is not arbitrary. It is small but easily measured.

Have you run tests or just guessing?

Dead Man
09-03-2016, 12:57 PM

Using my non-engineer mental visualization ability, I imagine the latex tube resisting road aggregate deformation less than the stiffer, thicker, less stretchy butyl tubes... Which would account for observations of smoother ride, better cornering, and less rolling resistance.

For what that's worth to you

flydhest
09-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Using my non-engineer mental visualization ability, I imagine the latex tube resisting road aggregate deformation less than the stiffer, thicker, less stretchy butyl tubes... Which would account for observations of smoother ride, better cornering, and less rolling resistance.

I would love to see blind tests. I can tell the difference between tubulars and clinchers (I think. Have not done it blind). I can see why there could be a difference here but I would have guessed that the suppleness of the tire was the limiting factor. That is, both types of tubes are more supple than a tire, so it doesn't matter. But as I said, my guess or intuition. Seems fairly cheap to test.

Dead Man
09-03-2016, 02:06 PM
I would love to see blind tests. I can tell the difference between tubulars and clinchers (I think. Have not done it blind). I can see why there could be a difference here but I would have guessed that the suppleness of the tire was the limiting factor. That is, both types of tubes are more supple than a tire, so it doesn't matter. But as I said, my guess or intuition. Seems fairly cheap to test.

I haven't ridden latex in clinchers, only tubulars.. But I would guess that the benefit is only going to be noticeable in a supple cotton tire. Seems like full vulcanized tires are gonna be way too stiff for the inner tube to matter. After all, the tire has to do everything the tube is doing.. So if it doesn't have enough give to allow the tube to give, obviously the tube can't give

Steve in SLO
09-03-2016, 02:15 PM
I have switched to latex in my main rides and so far the only difference I can tell is a slight increase in the size of my tire pumping muscles.

jtakeda
09-03-2016, 02:28 PM
I have switched to latex in my main rides and so far the only difference I can tell is a slight increase in the size of my tire pumping muscles.

Ditto.

They're a little more comfy too but I think it's because towards the end of the ride it's lost some psi.

dustyrider
09-03-2016, 03:04 PM
This thread is a lot more fun if you have a few drinks and an imagination!

R3awak3n
09-03-2016, 03:11 PM

or tubeless...

but at least tubeless, you can put a condom on if you wish to :eek:

stephenmarklay
09-03-2016, 03:12 PM

That was what I was going to say :)

I use them as they are supposed to have lower rolling resistance. I also find that rubber tubes are hit and miss for quality (since I source them wherever) and the Michelin latex are good quality.

oldpotatoe
09-03-2016, 03:35 PM
I haven't ridden latex in clinchers, only tubulars.. But I would guess that the benefit is only going to be noticeable in a supple cotton tire. Seems like full vulcanized tires are gonna be way too stiff for the inner tube to matter. After all, the tire has to do everything the tube is doing.. So if it doesn't have enough give to allow the tube to give, obviously the tube can't give

Ridden a lot of Vittoria Corsa CX and lots of Corsa Elite TUBULARS(ain't no nancy:):p:).)320 tpi and 290 tpi, latex and butyl...I sure can't tell a difference other than needing to pump the CX up in the morning...ymmv, IMHO and all that. Ride 'em about 90psi, .1 offa ton, 25mm tubulars...blah, blah.

HenryA
09-03-2016, 06:31 PM
The best I can tell you is that it's like riding with your socks on.

mg2ride
09-04-2016, 02:52 AM
Coast down test on my bumpy hill up to the stop sign. 1/4 mile is all I need.

How much you want to give me?

The energy absorption differential between a latex tube and a butyl tube is not arbitrary. It is small but easily measured.

Have you run tests or just guessing?

I'm just guessing. Do you have any numbers that show the energy difference? I would be interested to hear how they are obtained and what they are.

marciero
09-04-2016, 04:44 AM
Tried latex tubes a number of years ago but both of them flatted by exploding. I think at least one found its way underneath the bead. Could have been user error mounting but the trouble and expense discouraged me. I did not notice a difference in the few miles I rode.

On the other hand I've been riding latex tubulars on one bike all summer. Ride is great but I never did a proper A/B comparison with clinchers until yesterday. I can def say it's not all in my head.

54ny77
09-04-2016, 05:26 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cXwtIYL0ccM/UHgO27rCzNI/AAAAAAAAAMQ/bJnER-YVvWs/s1600/powersteeth.jpg

smontanaro
09-04-2016, 05:47 AM
I've never (well, at least, not yet) ridden with latex tubes, but I was able to immediately tell the difference when I swapped out some no-name butyl tubes for Schwalbe tubes (and this was with garden variety Paselas). I wouldn't be surprised if people could tell the difference been butyl and latex. Perhaps even more so if you were using higher quality tires to start with.

Cicli
09-04-2016, 05:53 AM
For my feel, its all in the wheel and tire. I cant tell the difference between different tubes.

ripvanrando
09-04-2016, 05:58 AM
I'm just guessing. Do you have any numbers that show the energy difference? I would be interested to hear how they are obtained and what they are.

30-40 extra feet

I'd be more interested in how much you wish to transfer in to my bank account upon execution of the protocol.

witcombusa
09-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Well, when I use latex tubes in my Open Corsa CX tires, my wallet feels a bit lighter and I spend more time putting air back into my tires. While actually riding I can feel no difference whatsoever. :crap:

mg2ride
09-04-2016, 08:12 AM
30-40 extra feet

I'd be more interested in how much you wish to transfer in to my bank account upon execution of the protocol.

W-T-F? Do they stretch and extra 30-40 feet?

Things must have changed since I was in school. Back then feet were a unit of measure of length, not energy.

As soon as you develop a protocol that we can both agree to, we will decide on the amount.:)

endosch2
09-04-2016, 10:27 AM

All tire testing shows latex tubes decrease rolling resistance for whatever tire they are paired with by about 2watts per wheel. For an average FTP 200 watt rider this means 2 percent.

Tex Willer
09-04-2016, 01:35 PM
The difference is like have sex with a std condom vs f...... with a butyl tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cicli
09-04-2016, 01:41 PM
The difference is like have sex with a std condom vs f...... with a butyl tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There does tubeless come into play?

adub
09-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Any of you latex tube users put a small shot of sealant in them?

Dead Man
09-04-2016, 01:48 PM

In tubulars yea.. And I don't know what the deal is, but some latex tubed tubulars do NOT like sealant. I exploded two FMB tubes when pumping back up from flat... POP. it was like the tube stuck to itself and rather than unsticking inside the tire as I inflated, bulged and blew instead.

Man I ****ing love/hate FMB.

All my latex lubed Vittorias have been fine with sealant though.

bewheels
09-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Yesterday I road with regular tubes in my Open Corsa 27s with 95 psi.
Today I road with latex tubes in the same tires on the same bike with the same pressure.

If I had not installed them I would never have known something changed.

Though I did feel cooler knowing they were in there and therefor was better looking because of that...isn't that how it works?

rando
09-04-2016, 06:55 PM

Not that it matters in such an arbitrarily dumb topic, but tubeless is indisputably closer and stickier. Please don't expand on how you stretch your tubulars after making me read the bolded text.

Which bring us to... Sealant in a tubular only works if you know how to use your equipment. At best it's complicated just to get it in. Then if you go and leave it in there too long the union becomes permanent.

As to describing/desexualizing the feeling of a latex tube. I don't make fun of illiterate's for their inability to read. So I'm not about to visit any unkindness here for an inability grasp the complex forces surrounding the addition of this relatively simple change. I'll share an easier to comprehend alliteration with you. Where one man can feel change in the air that sees his crop be planted after a large flood. Some others can't feel a freshly harvested piece of corn between their teeth.

Jeff Borisch
09-04-2016, 07:09 PM
It stands to reason that weaker riders would be more likely to feel the difference.

Sometimes I think I can feel the difference. Other times not. They seem to sound different though.

oldpotatoe
09-05-2016, 05:49 AM

I use it in Vittoria Corsa tubulars all the time..Orange Seal..

thwart
09-05-2016, 07:25 AM
It stands to reason that weaker riders would be more likely to feel the difference.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D

oldpotatoe
09-05-2016, 07:27 AM

Sometimes I think I can feel the difference. Other times not. They seem to sound different though.

I don't, I am weak all the time. :D

MaraudingWalrus
09-05-2016, 04:08 PM
or tubeless...

but at least tubeless, you can put a condom on if you wish to :eek:

The masochist in me is wanting to try road tubeless again on my new wheelset..