PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

shrubby32
07-12-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm really new to cycling. I got my first bike since I was 13 and it is a Trek 7.2 FX. I thought that I would start with a hybrid and work my way up to a road bike. My question is that I am riding about 20 miles a day but I really don't feel that I am pushing myself yet. I know that I should work my way up but what gear should my bike be in to get a good workout and to challenge myself.

Thanks for your help!!!! :bike:

goonster
07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I know that I should work my way up but what gear should my bike be in to get a good workout and to challenge myself.

The only thing that you should do is have fun.

It all depends on what you want out of it. Don't overthink it. Unless you have specific goals (ironman, century, double centure or whatever) I suggest you ride lots whenever you want to and don't think of the bike as a piece of exercise equipment, or you'll burn out and start hating it in short order. You'll know you've challenged yourself when the legs burn, and you'll know you had a good workout when you have irresistable urges to eat a horse.

And so I'll leave you with these tired old (but not untrue) aphorisms:

"Getting in shape is something that happens while you're having fun."

"Ride lots in places of interest." (attributed to Jobst Brandt, afaik)

SoCalSteve
07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm really new to cycling. I got my first bike since I was 13 and it is a Trek 7.2 FX. I thought that I would start with a hybrid and work my way up to a road bike. My question is that I am riding about 20 miles a day but I really don't feel that I am pushing myself yet. I know that I should work my way up but what gear should my bike be in to get a good workout and to challenge myself.
Thanks for your help!!!! :bike:

Maybe the question should be not about gearing but about yourself. What I mean by this is that if you use a heart rate monitor, you can tell how hard your own "motor" is running.

Bike gearing is very dependent on flats, hills, cadence, etc. Its always changing depending on terrain. The best way to monitor if you are challenging yourself is by using a hrm. They can be purchased from under $50.00 and will give you an accuate account of your work out.

Also, there is a book called something like: Heart Rate Zones for Cycling (please correct me if I am wrong). This book can be very helpful as well.It can be purchased through the VeloNews website.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

Steve

dgauthier
07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Goonster completely nails it.

The only thing I can possibly add is that you might think about getting on a road bike sooner than later. I suggest you pick up a copy of Greg Lemond's Complete Book of Bicycling:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0399515941/sr=1-1/qid=1152736942/ref=sr_1_1/103-8194209-3051816?ie=UTF8&s=books

In it Lemond explains why a properly fitted road bike - what non-cyclists call a "racing bike" - is the most appropriate bicycle for *most people*. This is counter intuitive for most beginners. Beginners see the drop handlebars and narrow seat and assume a road bike must be a torture device that only the super fit can endure. In fact, just the opposite is true. A properly fitted road bike is more efficient and more comfortable than any other type of bicycle.

If you can stand to ride 20 miles on a hybrid in one stretch, you could probably ride 30 miles on a properly fitted road bike right off the bat. It's hard for a beginner to properly fit themselves, however, so put your trust in a good fitter at a good bike shop, and try a road bike in the near future.

I wish you many happy miles.

shrubby32
07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
If I were to choose to get a road bike, what one would you suggest I start with? :bike:

csm
07-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I'd start with a serotta meveici. full record carbon.

Needs Help
07-12-2006, 09:18 PM
lol

dgauthier
07-12-2006, 11:17 PM
If I were to choose to get a road bike, what one would you suggest I start with? :bike:

Only you can decide. How do you know you're in love? You just know.

You already have a bike, so take your time. Test ride a lot of bikes, from $600 Treks and Cannondales to $6000 Serottas and Merlins. Test ride several different brands of every kind of frame material: steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber. Try bikes outfitted with components from both Shimano and Campagnolo. You'll quickly find that some bikes are fun to ride, and some aren't. Though quality and precision generally increase with price, price will have no relation to which bikes you'll like, and which you'll hate. Trust your gut. If a bike doesn't *thrill you* when you ride it, look elsewhere.

Finally, remember that this won't be the last bike you ever buy. Your opinions about what you like and dislike will change over time as you ride and learn more, so budget accordingly.

Avispa
07-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I'd start with a serotta meveici. full record carbon.

ADA Wheels or Campy Hyperon Carbon? A full Ti cogset? :D

Louis
07-13-2006, 12:08 AM
If I were to choose to get a road bike, what one would you suggest I start with?

Start with something relatively inexpensive until you have a better feel for what works for you. Talk to some of the folks you meet, get a feel for the "vibe" of the various bike shops in town and check them out. Make sure you get them to explain to you why they think a particular bike is the right size for you. (It's more complicated than just standing over the bike and lifting.)

After a while if you feel like upgrading then you can go nuts.

Louis

shrubby32
07-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I said I was new to cycling not new to the world!

wdlewis
07-13-2006, 05:11 PM
This thread sounds a lot like those for new skeet & trap shooters asking what kind of gun to buy.

Those that buy a really cheap gun that doesn't fit get turned off because they can't hit anything. Some who buy very expensive guns later sell them because they find they prefer a different type of gun.

The best advice I've heard given to new shooters is to get fitted and buy an intermediate all purpose gun that approximates the correct fit. Try as many guns as possible and then, buy the gun (s) they REALLY want.

My bike shop had several bikes that I test rode for several rides each. Each bike was modified to approximate my needs. That experience was a real eye opener.

Without being able to experience the ride difference, I would have bought the wrong bike.

Now, I am thrilled with my new bike.