PDA

View Full Version : 24 GS radial Powertap

stephenmarklay
09-02-2016, 03:34 PM
I see competitive cyclist has this hub for a good price and I really want power.

I am running a 24 hole rear H Plus son now and I have had no problems with it.

Is the radial lacing less durable and is this hub OK?

Thanks!

dan682
09-02-2016, 03:41 PM
You mean straight pull, not radial. It's supposed to be stronger than standard J-bend spokes since the spokes don't have a bend which is the most common spot for them to break.

I have 2 powertap G3 wheels that I built myself that have been perfectly reliable for the past 3 years. I'm also tempted by this deal - trying to figure out why I need a third wheel though.

stephenmarklay
09-02-2016, 03:50 PM
You mean straight pull, not radial. It's supposed to be stronger than standard J-bend spokes since the spokes don't have a bend which is the most common spot for them to break.

I have 2 powertap G3 wheels that I built myself that have been perfectly reliable for the past 3 years. I'm also tempted by this deal - trying to figure out why I need a third wheel though.

Thank you for the correction… I am assuming this is fine for any 24 hole wheel?

guido
09-02-2016, 03:52 PM
I weigh to much for the 24 spoke (or the 28 spoke disk version rats!). But I have multiple G3 and SL+ hubs and they have all worked like champs...

dan682
09-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Yeah nothing special about the rim - just need the correct length straight pull spokes.

ergott
09-02-2016, 04:08 PM
There's a spoke length chart based on rim ERD they provide (should be on the website). The flange spacing isn't ideal so I would recommend using DT Competitions which are available in straight pull.

I'd recommend under 180lbs or so for this hub depending on the rim (most alloy rims Like Pacenti, Hed or H+Son).

stephenmarklay
09-02-2016, 04:11 PM
There's a spoke length chart based on rim ERD they provide (should be on the website). The flange spacing isn't ideal so I would recommend using DT Competitions which are available in straight pull.

I'd recommend under 180lbs or so for this hub depending on the rim (most alloy rims Like Pacenti, Hed or H+Son).

Im closer to 190 I think but in the last 2 months I have put on about 2500 miles on a 24 hole Archetype and it has not moved.

ergott
09-02-2016, 04:38 PM
What hub?

The PT SP hub doesn't have particularly good flange spacing.

stephenmarklay
09-02-2016, 04:54 PM
What hub?

The PT SP hub doesn't have particularly good flange spacing.

Ok gotcha. I am on CK hubs. So maybe I should pass on this.

ergott
09-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Some people have made that combo work fine, others haven't. From a design standpoint it's not the strongest wheel build.

I'll leave it at that.

stephenmarklay
09-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Some people have made that combo work fine, others haven't. From a design standpoint it's not the strongest wheel build.

I'll leave it at that.

Thanks Eric. In reality I want power to train inside more than anything. I am sure I would be ok on the rollers or trainer with it. I am going to look at all the options but this still might be the least expensive way to get power.

weisan
09-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Stephen pal, for future reference, it might help others if you include the link. Thank you.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/powertap-gs-24-hole-straight-pull-hub-w-dt-swiss-internals?skidn=PAP000F-BK-SHI&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6cG93ZXJ0YXA6MTo1OnBvd2VydGF w

guido
09-02-2016, 08:07 PM
I think they are available from many places for that price... Amazon and powertap.com for two...

stephenmarklay
09-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Sorry...

R3awak3n
09-02-2016, 09:31 PM
You didn't do anything wrong. We all have google.

I dunno about that hub but I have the standard hub, 24hole laced to an enve rim, I am heavier than you and it has been solid for over 2000 miles. You could look into that one, probably all over ebay.

stephenmarklay
09-03-2016, 06:51 AM
I am not all that smart so if this is a dumb question…

Would it be possible to use and asymmetric rim with this straight pull hub for a stronger build?

oldpotatoe
09-03-2016, 07:01 AM
I am not all that smart so if this is a dumb question…

Would it be possible to use an asymmetric rim with this straight pull hub for a stronger build?

Sure..I just add 1mm to LH side rather than the more normal 2mm..since the tension is higher on the LH side.

ergott
09-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Sure..I just add 1mm to LH side rather than the more normal 2mm..since the tension is higher on the LH side.

Offset rim won't change the spoke lengths more than a fraction of a mm (might change how you round the length to the nearest mm).

Can you clarify what you are talking about?

stephenmarklay
09-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Aside from the spoke length is this a “good” idea for strengthening the wheel?

shovelhd
09-03-2016, 08:39 AM
I think it would be fine for the trainer. On the road, it depends.

If $300 plus wheel components is your target, take a look at a used Stages.

ergott
09-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Aside from the spoke length is this a “good” idea for strengthening the wheel?

??

Competitions laced to your existing rim should be okay and definitely fine for the trainer. If you are now considering other rims, I would just consider other power meter options.

stephenmarklay
09-03-2016, 09:30 AM
??

Competitions laced to your existing rim should be okay and definitely fine for the trainer. If you are now considering other rims, I would just consider other power meter options.

Since this hub is $299 and a rim is perhaps $100 I am into it for $400 plus spokes and a build. I will have to look at sub $500 dollar options I guess. I guess a prebuilt GS hub/wheel may be cost competitive. I actually like having a wheel that I can use on more than one bike though. As $ permit I could do a front.

Crank based units tie me to a bike. I love the PT pedal idea and function but at 1100+- its a lot more spendy.

ergott
09-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Crank is as easy to swap between bikes as a wheel these days. I did that with a Force 22 crank and it's one bolt. By the time you readjust brake pads and a little fine tuning of the gears I'm done with the crank.

A stages is just as easy, but I prefer a spider based unit.

bitpuddle
09-03-2016, 02:04 PM
I see competitive cyclist has this hub for a good price and I really want power.

I have quite a few miles on a GS hub (DT R460 rims, aerolite spokes) laced two cross with zero issues. I use it as a training wheel.

I'm not sure why they are so heavily discounted.

guido
09-03-2016, 02:29 PM
I have quite a few miles on a GS hub (DT R460 rims, aerolite spokes) laced two cross with zero issues. I use it as a training wheel.

I'm not sure why they are so heavily discounted.

How much do you weigh?

R3awak3n
09-03-2016, 02:59 PM
you can get G3 wheelset for $400 these days on the used market, I would go that way. Or pedal based system

oldpotatoe
09-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Offset rim won't change the spoke lengths more than a fraction of a mm (might change how you round the length to the nearest mm).

Can you clarify what you are talking about?

For non OC rims, I calc RH side, add 2mm for left. On OC rims, I add 1mm. When looking at finished wheel, nipple side, spoke almost flush with end of nipp that way. How I've been doin it since the early A23 days.

ergott
09-03-2016, 03:49 PM
For non OC rims, I calc RH side, add 2mm for left. On OC rims, I add 1mm. When looking at finished wheel, nipple side, spoke almost flush with end of nipp that way. How I've been doin it since the early A23 days.
You mean for Power Tap hubs? That formula assumes flanges of the same diameter. If you are taking the time to calculate one side, why not calculate both? Are using your slide rule? [emoji13]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

shovelhd
09-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Burn

bitpuddle
09-03-2016, 04:25 PM
How much do you weigh?

Usually around 175#

guido
09-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Usually around 175#

I have an extra 20 on you so I really need 32 spokes...

oldpotatoe
09-04-2016, 05:46 AM
You mean for Power Tap hubs? That formula assumes flanges of the same diameter. If you are taking the time to calculate one side, why not calculate both? Are using your slide rule? [emoji13]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If the flanges are different diameters, of COURSE I calculate for both sides. I was talking about OC rim, small 'r' rule of thumb when I calc say a DT440 or A23 to a hub of equal hub diameters.

stephenmarklay
09-04-2016, 06:14 AM
I am still a little torn on this but leaning on getting it. I have wanted to get some hard ano archetypes to go with my CK hubs. So I may take my existing blacks archetypes and repurpose them if an offset rim is not going to be substantially stronger

oldpotatoe
09-04-2016, 06:18 AM
I am still a little torn on this but leaning on getting it. I have wanted to get some hard ano archetypes to go with my CK hubs. So I may take my existing blacks archetypes and repurpose them if an offset rim is not going to be substantially stronger

Hmmm, well, anytime you can make the LH spoke tension higher, while still having 'proper' RH spoke tension..the wheel will be 'stronger', all else being equal and compared to a non-OC rim of like weight..IMHO, of course.

guido
09-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Hmmm, well, anytime you can make the LH spoke tension higher, while still having 'proper' RH spoke tension..the wheel will be 'stronger', all else being equal and compared to a non-OC rim of like weight..IMHO, of course.

RH being drive side?

oldpotatoe
09-04-2016, 07:05 AM
RH being drive side?

Si..LH being kick stand side. :)