PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Meivici vs. Colnago C50 traditional geometry

Satellite
09-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Interested to hear folks that have owned both what are your impression of these two frames. I am itching to obtain both these fine frames but only have parts to satisfy one bike which bike do you build up and why?

I have searched for reviews and it seems a few people have owned both a C50 and Meivici. The two reviews I read flip flopped on which they liked better but didn't give any real reasons.

Steve in SLO
09-02-2016, 02:43 PM
I have owned both. I am +/- 190 pounds and ride an approximately 60 x 58 frame, FWIW.
To me the Colnago was a no-drama frame. It did everything well, but somehow did not stand out in any way and seemed somewhat vanilla and boring to me. I sold it.
The Meivici that I have seems snappier and more planted on the road. It also turns in and corners better than the Colnago ever did for me. Rock solid up to 50+ mph. I still have it.
You have to take all of this with a huge bag of salt, since the C50 is a production bike while the Meivici is full custom, so that is a huge variable. I was lucky enough to find one built for someone around my weight and measurements.

happycampyer
09-02-2016, 03:40 PM
I have a C-50 (and have owned an Extreme Power, fwiw), and have a custom MeiVici (and have owned several MeiVicis that weren't built for me).

I think Steve's comment above nails it--it's nearly impossible to generalize since the Colnago is a production frame with a fixed geometry (for a given size) and stiffness, whereas the MeiVici was mostly custom. So if you buy a MeiVici, the geometry could be faster or slower than the Colnago, the frame stiffer or more compliant than the Colnago, etc.

I prefer my custom MeiVici to both the C-50 and the Extreme Power, by a long-shot. But I know that the tubing Serotta used for the MeiVici was a custom blend that was based on a used MeiVici that I owned at the time and loved the ride quality of (the frame was a bit big for me, otherwise I would have kept it).

I have bought several MeiVicis second-hand over the years as experiments, and some of them I liked less than the Colnagos, some more.

Given that Serotta is out of business, on the one hand, it is difficult to get information about their frames in order to make an informed decision. On the other hand, the values have stabilized such that, if you buy a frame and don't like it, you can sell it and recoup most of your cost (i.e., excluding the time and cost of building it up and stripping it down, etc.). The more info you can get about a used MeiVici the better (i.e., geo, tube stiffnesses or weight/type of rider the frame was built for, etc.).

Dave B
09-02-2016, 03:53 PM
I had both and loved the Meivici. Nothing at all wrong with the Colnago, but the meivici I had just was such a nice bike. It was light, stiff and just soaked up so much road chatter. If I had both bikes in front of me I would choose the Serotta 10 out of 10 times.

I liked my nago, but loved the meivici.

Satellite
09-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Thanks all for the replies keep the reviews coming.

I emailed with the owner of the Meivici he doesn't have the Serotta build sheet and he is at least the second owner. As Happycamper pointed out it maybe best to buy it, ride it and see if I like it.

Damn Serotta it would be great to know where all the serial number records went. I emailed Serotta on my Team 7-11 frame and they gave all the details on the frame.

The C50 doesn't descend as well as my Moots, I know that first hand. I live in Colorado so it is important to descend well. I guess I won't know how the Meivici will do until I turn around at the top of Cheyenne Canyon.

I would love to continue to read about others experiences between the C50 and Meivici.

Matthew
09-02-2016, 04:40 PM
I will chime in but really won't be much help as I have an EPS and a Meivici that was not built for me. I love both bikes. Probably slightly prefer my Colnago as it is a bit stiffer yet still has a great ride. Fit is slightly better too. That being said the Serotta is a great bike. Not sure what the stiffness rating is on the tubes but guessing less than 8.5. It is an all day bike. Stiff enough but not as stout as the Colnago. I think you will be happy with either bike.

maverick_1
09-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Had both, the Meivici SG and a C50 in traditional geometry.
Both equally good frames, however I'm giving the edge to the C50 for better ride quality and handling specially in smaller sizes.
As what the others had mentioned, Meivici in custom geometry and tubes is going to ride differently compared to a stock C50.

Cheers

titans
09-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Been riding Serottas since the early 90s and put years and thousands of miles on my Meivici. Stock 56 with 8.5 tube sets throughout as I'm 5'11" and about 170. Smooth, comfy and quite snappy. Handles really well. Then one day my LBS had Colnago demo day and the shop was able to get me a demo after the event was done. I had it for two days and put in about 100 miles. I was not in the market to buy but just wanted to see what the carbon Colnagos rode like. It had the same exact components as my Meivici but wheels were clincher on the C59. All I can add is that I no longer own a Mevici. C59 was that good. Maybe a Meivici with 10.5 tubing would stack up better but I really don't know if they built that many in that size. As usual opinions are subjective. Ask 10 people and you will probably get 10 different opinions. Sorry this review didn't pit a C50 vs Meivici.

happycampyer
09-04-2016, 12:21 PM
This is a perfect example why it's impossible to generalize. I'm 5'10" and hover between 165 and 175 lbs. I have ridden stock MeiVicis (SG, all 8.5 tubing and 8.5 fork), and have found them to be ok but a little stiff for my taste. Sort of like the C-50. Iirc, my custom MeiVici has 8.5 downtube and chainstays, but all the rest are 6.5, and the fork is 6.5. It is noticeably smoother than an all-8.5 frame and fork.

On a whim, I bought a MeiVici from the Pro's Closet, and had it shipped to my LBS. Lo and behold, it was a frame that the LBS had built several years earlier for a very heavy customer, and the frame was all 10.5 tubing. The frame was insanely stiff, stiffer than the Extreme Power.

I went through a phase where I had a bunch of super-stiff frames (a Vamoots RSL for example), and have gravitated back to frames that are more compliant.

If I were in the market for a custom carbon frame to dial-in the stiffness, I would probably look to Parlee or Crumpton. Buying a used MeiVici is a pretty hit-or-miss proposition.

P.S. In later years, Serotta made 4.5 tubing for smaller sized frames. It wasn't advertised, but the feedback they got was that frames made from 6.5 tubes were often too stiff for lighter weight riders.

Charles M
09-04-2016, 05:57 PM
OK Lots of us have owned them both...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/serotta/meiwhole.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/c50-2frames.jpg

Yeah but... One of em's Custom

And on top of the few different tube sets that could have been used to build the Meivici, who knows which Geometry will suite someone else better...

Great thread for bringing up a couple nice bikes, but when you toss in Custom built to someone else's specifications the relative usefulness of the info you'll get will be a guess...

You'll want the original owner not only to have your geometry but your relative weight and desire for stiffness. And then you'll have to take their word...

Satellite
09-13-2016, 10:34 PM
Okay Paceline Detectives,

So the seller and I worked out the purchase of the Serotta Meivici. I asked him if he had the build sheet and was told he didn't have it. He was the second owner and the bike shop that sold it originally was no longer in business.

I received the frame and fork yesterday and gave it a good clean up. I found some stickers the fork and inside the downtube.

The serial number is:
C-MV-56-00449
I assume C = Custom, MV = Meivici, 56 = Virtual TopTube or SeatTube to the Bottom of the SeatCollar, and 00449 = 449th Meivici made?

The DownTube has a sticker on the inside at the Bottom Bracket it is:
Serotta #5008 (I have no idea what that means)
MQC #45280 (again no idea)
?E, TC5-8.5 (The glue is covering what ever comes before the "E"), the TC5 is the Torsion Core carbon in the 8.5 Layup.

The fork has:
F3
Fork-F3-8.5-43
10-1-08
P4M75-1
HA

Assumptions:
F3 is the fork Serotta F3 with Ti dropouts
Fork-F3 (again the fork) - 8.5 (Layup) - 43 (Rake)
10-1-08 (Date Oct 1st 2008)
P4M75-1 (No idea assume something to do with Head Angle below)
HA (Head Angle)

It's hard to measure the frame because I don't currently have a headset.

The Head tube is 18.5
The seat tube is 56 center of bottom bracket to the bottom of the seatcollar (like Colnago measures)?
Top tube center to center actual is 54.5

I am pretty excited to ride it. I just need a groupo, wheels, cockpit, seatpost and saddle. LOL!

Colnago C50 has to go back to the painter for some rework. So I may rob the parts for now.

Thanks for any help with the above information.

bluesea
09-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Toe overlap vs no toe overlap. ;)

Satellite
09-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Toe overlap vs no toe overlap. ;)

Still haven't built the Meivici hopefully I don't get toe overlap! No toe overlap on the C50 ;-)

ultraman6970
09-17-2016, 07:33 PM
The meivici front tube angle differs from the colnago, and that can be biggest difference in the handling of both bikes, being the serotta the winner. One thing tho.. in a colnago c40 or c50 if the rider is like close to 6 feet tall (for example) in a 56 and using like a 10 cm stem. the handling is going suck @$$ big time, after owning 2 colnagos (c50 and a dream, both pretty much same geometry) you have to fit them right with the right stem length or the handling will be just aweful, and I have to agree with some comments about some colnago frames. are fantastic but you have to get them right or the bike won't do what it suppose to do (this IMO goes with every bike). Mines always handled quick but my fit never been with stems shorter than 11.

I would love to try one of those meivici some day, the bike to me looks more like classic geometry, no experiments just built to go fast.

Serotta never did like stock geometry in the Meivici?

Satellite
09-17-2016, 07:48 PM
The meivici front tube angle differs from the colnago, and that can be biggest difference in the handling of both bikes, being the serotta the winner. One thing tho.. in a colnago c40 or c50 if the rider is like close to 6 feet tall (for example) in a 56 and using like a 10 cm stem. the handling is going suck @$$ big time, after owning 2 colnagos (c50 and a dream, both pretty much same geometry) you have to fit them right with the right stem length or the handling will be just aweful, and I have to agree with some comments about some colnago frames. are fantastic but you have to get them right or the bike won't do what it suppose to do (this IMO goes with every bike). Mines always handled quick but my fit never been with stems shorter than 11.

I would love to try one of those meivici some day, the bike to me looks more like classic geometry, no experiments just built to go fast.

Serotta never did like stock geometry in the Meivici?

Iam 5'11" and Riding a 56cm C50 with a 120 stem. I didn't take into account the new to me D/A 7900 extra long Brifters. I think a 110 stem would be a better fit, I just slid the saddle further forward. The top tube on the C50 is 56.3 the top tube on the Meivici is 56.1 so I think the 120 stem will work out perfect. I have to send the C50 back to the painter for a problem with the clear coat clouding up. So Iam going to salvage the parts from the C50 until I can source another D/A group. Hoping someone will unload another Di2 group for eTap.

ultraman6970
09-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Clouding in the clear coat is a solvent problem or a humidity problem the day the frame was clear coated but in general IME is hard for that to happen if you eye ball the mix depending of the temp and humidity, not an exact science and you have to go for the guts sometimes.

Gonna suck to fix it because the dude gonna have to sand it all out.

Satellite
09-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Clouding in the clear coat is a solvent problem or a humidity problem the day the frame was clear coated but in general IME is hard for that to happen if you eye ball the mix depending of the temp and humidity, not an exact science and you have to go for the guts sometimes.

Gonna suck to fix it because the dude gonna have to sand it all out.

painter thought it was humidity and yep he is going to sand it all out and make it good as new. My problem is I have to tear it all down repack and ship again. Bright side: I bought a Meivici to replace it while the C50 is being refreshed!

Might get the Meivici custom painted after the C50 comes back home?

ultraman6970
09-17-2016, 08:45 PM
If the clear is good i would not touch it. Even if you have some light scratches in the clear, those are easy to clean at home with a tiny sanding/polishing and waxing.

Satellite
09-17-2016, 08:58 PM
If the clear is good i would not touch it. Even if you have some light scratches in the clear, those are easy to clean at home with a tiny sanding/polishing and waxing.
The clear is so jacked and my new paint job looks like crap because of it. I have a few other things he needs to fix. He left some of the masking material and now it's under the clear he needs to fix that too. It's going back besides I need the parts for the Meivici that will buy me sometime to source more parts.

happycampyer
09-17-2016, 09:23 PM
"MQC" probably stands for "MacLean Quality Composites." MQC owns the Reynolds composites business. Mike Lopez and Jim Phiel were the founders of the cycling composites buisiness and eventually went their own ways (Mike L made Serotta forks and developed the carbon for the MeiVici ad MeiVici AE, among other things; Jim Phiel left to create Enve Composites).

On the fork, the "?E" probably is "SE," which was the custom designation (which I later learned stood for "Serotta Experience"). "TC" stands for "Torsion Core."

I'm curious to hear your impressions. The 8.5 layup was the layup that Serotta used for its "stock" and dealer demo models. I have found that layup to be pretty similar to the C-50 in terms of stiffness, although smoother riding.