PDA

View Full Version : EPS v2 internal battery question/s?

tuscanyswe
09-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Will a campy eps v2 with an internal battery work on all frames prepared for electronic group sets? Something tells me this is not the case, i have a memory of it not being so tho i have yet to use / test this set up myself on a frame..

What are the things i should look for specifically to understand weather or not the frame will accept the v2 with internal battery?

Also is there currently another version of campy electronic out that will work with ALL electronically prepared frames?

Thx
Björn

tigoat
09-02-2016, 01:48 PM
There is not a whole lot to it to mount the internal battery unit using the two water bottle mount bolts on the seat tube. Just make sure the seat tube ID is big enough to slide the battery unit down to reach the water bottle mount area. Make sure the two WB mount studs do not protrude too much on the inside. Fishing the wires through the seat tube and BB shell while sliding the battery unit down the ST will take some patient though. Also, you will need a hole either on the seat tube or down tube for the charging port.

oldpotatoe
09-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Will a campy eps v2 with an internal battery work on all frames prepared for electronic group sets? Something tells me this is not the case, i have a memory of it not being so tho i have yet to use / test this set up myself on a frame..

What are the things i should look for specifically to understand weather or not the frame will accept the v2 with internal battery?

Also is there currently another version of campy electronic out that will work with ALL electronically prepared group sets?

Thx
Björn

Just need holes for wires to rear Der, front Der and interface. Also a hole for battery charge port and modified seat post bottle bosses for thru frame battery/water bottle cage mounts. You can also mount v2 battery externally, then need hole for 3 wire entry, generally under BB.

Don't understand second part. V3 is interface/USB charged.

tuscanyswe
09-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Thank for info!

Ah a charging port, had sort of forgot about that. So i would need 2 holes on the seattube then. One for the fd and one to connect the charger to? Is there not a seatpost mount option these days for v2? seem so much easier.

So i have frame with:

1 hole high up on down tube near headtube.
1 hole low down on seattube near bb.
1 hole at the chain stays at the dropout.

Im missing a charger port then if I'm understanding this correct?

What are my options then if i wanted to use campy electronically group? Would upg to v3 seatpost battery work? anything else i could do if i wanted internal wiring and hidden battery?

Edit: Yeah sorry about that spud. Missprint was suppose to say frames and not groupset .)

oldpotatoe
09-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Thank for info!

Ah a charging port, had sort of forgot about that. So i would need 2 holes on the seattube then. One for the fd and one to connect the charger to? Is there not a seatpost mount option these days? seem so much easier.

Seatpost, under downtube, LH chainstay mounts also.

tuscanyswe
09-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Seatpost, under downtube, LH chainstay mounts also.

seatpost option for v2 eps then? so thats all i need to get in order to get around that the frame dont have a charging port? dont need v3 or any other upgrades?

oldpotatoe
09-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Thank for info!

Ah a charging port, had sort of forgot about that. So i would need 2 holes on the seattube then. One for the fd and one to connect the charger to? Is there not a seatpost mount option these days for v2? seem so much easier.

So i have frame with:

1 hole high up on down tube near headtube.
1 hole low down on seattube near bb.
1 hole at the chain stays at the dropout.

Im missing a charger port then if I'm understanding this correct?

What are my options then if i wanted to use campy electronically group? Would upg to v3 seatpost battery work? anything else i could do if i wanted internal wiring and hidden battery?

Edit: Yeah sorry about that spud. Missprint was suppose to say frames and not groupset .)

Get a V3 battery and interface....all else EPS is the same.

tuscanyswe
09-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks

My down tube is almost closed at the bottom bracket. It looks like theres a drainage hole into the bb house with a diameter of approx 6-7mms is this enough to feed the required cords and connectors thats needed?

oldpotatoe
09-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks

My down tube is almost closed at the bottom bracket. It looks like theres a drainage hole into the bb house with a diameter of approx 6-7mms is this enough to feed the required cords and connectors thats needed?

Well, the connectors are 7mm wide. May need to enlarge but with a Dremel, that ought to be easy.

ERK55
09-02-2016, 03:09 PM
So, bottom line is a frame designed for Di2 cannot really use EPS since there is no hole for charging port, correct?

For Ti frames I think warranties would be voided if you start drilling holes, no?

oldpotatoe
09-02-2016, 03:19 PM
So, bottom line is a frame designed for Di2 cannot really use EPS since there is no hole for charging port, correct?

For Ti frames I think warranties would be voided if you start drilling holes, no?

No, V3, the current version, charges thru the interface like di2.

Depends, I asked Butch, main welder at Moots about plumbing my Vamoots for EPS, he said he'd come down to do it or I could, no problem. Probably void warranty tho.

ERK55
09-02-2016, 03:58 PM
No, V3, the current version, charges thru the interface like di2.

Depends, I asked Butch, main welder at Moots about plumbing my Vamoots for EPS, he said he'd come down to do it or I could, no problem. Probably void warranty tho.

Thanks for that. Mostly good news, I think.

tuscanyswe
09-02-2016, 04:28 PM
A wealth of info. A great resource around here and very much appriciated! Thanks again