PDA

View Full Version : Sad day today, never thought would come

redir
09-02-2016, 08:53 AM
I think I've finally decided to sell my Moots. I got this bike about 9 years ago thinking she was a life time keeper but alas ever since I got my new C'Dale Synapse she only gets to commute to work once a week now.

I got this bike in my old school race style thinking, smaller frame fitted to a big rider. So it's just too aggressive for me and I don't race as much as I used to. I've never had a bike that could carve corners better then this one.

And yes I am still slightly trying to convince myself to keep it. :)

But really she's still a race bike at heart and someone else would probably be better off with her at this point... Sigh.

fuzzalow
09-02-2016, 09:14 AM
It's only a bike. Everything has a time, a place and a purpose.

I have never felt, as you lament, this way about any thing. I have felt this way however often about and over anyone.

sandyrs
09-02-2016, 09:15 AM
it's only a bike. Everything has a time, a place and a purpose.

I have never felt, as you lament, this way about any thing. I have felt this way however often about and over anyone.

+1

bcroslin
09-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Amazing that you've kept it 9 years. I'm looking at a Vamoots RSL and the thing I struggle with is how long can I ride it. I'm used to riding a different bike every year or two. Sometimes I go on a tear and I'll switch up bikes every 3-4 months until I find something I like. I'm worried I'll spend the money on the Vamoots and then get bored with it a year later.

Tony T
09-02-2016, 09:16 AM

Put it in storage for a year, then decide.

sandyrs
09-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Amazing that you've kept it 9 years. I'm looking at a Vamoots RSL and the thing I struggle with is how long can I ride it. I'm used to riding a different bike every year or two. Sometimes I go on a tear and I'll switch up bikes every 3-4 months until I find something I like. I'm worried I'll spend the money on the Vamoots and then get bored with it a year later.

If you're looking at a 62cm with a 1cm headtube extension, buy it and PM me when you get bored :)

tuscanyswe
09-02-2016, 09:21 AM
9 Years is way to little man, dont do it ! :)

Honestly tho if it does not fit you, its not the right bike. Simple as that imo.
You can easily find another one in a larger size and perhaps even with a bit more relaxed set up depending on what model you had. Shouldn't cost you to many pennies in exchange either.

Tickdoc
09-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Nothing sad here, either way. Keep it and you may rediscover it some day, sell it and you may enrich someone else.

Congrats on such a cool bike.

chiasticon
09-02-2016, 09:29 AM
if the fit is too aggressive for you now and you don't ride it because of this, then it makes sense to sell. if it still fits fine and you're just not favoring it at the moment, hold off a bit and see if you work your back to it. especially if you're just selling for money. moots hold their value better than a lot of used bikes, but they still go for relatively cheap. as in, like half of what they cost new.

no way you'd catch me saying I like a cannondale better than a moots tho :p

weisan
09-02-2016, 09:34 AM
redir pal, you are on the right track. Moots...so what!? Just a name. Just a bike.

Jimbo251
09-02-2016, 09:39 AM
I bought my Moots Compact SL in the fall of 2005. I've had it ever since. Right now I don't plan on selling it, however the things I wish it had (more tire clearance, 44mm headtube, lower BB height) could convince me someday.

As my buddy always says "there just bikes dude" but I also get the attachment that goes along with keeping a bike for a decade. Lots of memories from lots of great rides.

That said, if your not going to ride it pass it along to somebody that will. I'd rather part with mine than let it sit around gathering dust. Its a Moots, needs to be ridden and enjoyed.

2cents....

Mzilliox
09-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Sad day indeed! im size 55 if it helps ease the pain...

redir
09-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Yeah I think it does come down to fit. The head tube is even a bit shorter then the stock frame to give it that low down aggressive feel. It's an amazing crit bike but as I get older the longer rides are getting to me.

As for keeping bikes for a long time heck I still have my '83 Guerciotti :D

bcroslin
09-02-2016, 10:31 AM
If you're looking at a 62cm with a 1cm headtube extension, buy it and PM me when you get bored :)

I wish! I need a 55 so I'm having to go new.

oldpotatoe
09-02-2016, 11:09 AM
I think I've finally decided to sell my Moots. I got this bike about 9 years ago thinking she was a life time keeper but alas ever since I got my new C'Dale Synapse she only gets to commute to work once a week now.

I got this bike in my old school race style thinking, smaller frame fitted to a big rider. So it's just too aggressive for me and I don't race as much as I used to. I've never had a bike that could carve corners better then this one.

But really she's still a race bike at heart and someone else would probably be better off with her at this point... Sigh.

Yee gads, thought you were gonna say your favorite pet had died....bicycle, if ya lust for another, buy another.

jlwdm
09-02-2016, 03:36 PM
If you are not riding it there is no reason to keep it as it does not sound like you will have a use for it in the future.

Jeff

eric01
09-03-2016, 03:24 AM
What size is the moots you're selling? [emoji3]

jimcav
09-03-2016, 09:57 AM
sell it, move on to something that makes you want to ride. i retired from the military in July and thought i'd ride more. in fact i have, but 100% mtb. i haven;t ridden a road bike since May! your thread is making me ponder if i should even keep my IF and black sheep.

Kobe
09-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Nothing sad here, either way. Keep it and you may rediscover it some day, sell it and you may enrich someone else.

Congrats on such a cool bike.

What an excellent way at looking at selling a bike. Takes a little of the sting away.

redir
09-03-2016, 07:31 PM
What size is the moots you're selling? [emoji3]

Virtual TT is 58cm.

sell it, move on to something that makes you want to ride. i retired from the military in July and thought i'd ride more. in fact i have, but 100% mtb. i haven;t ridden a road bike since May! your thread is making me ponder if i should even keep my IF and black sheep.

I've been doing more MTB riding myself. Ya always have to have a road bike though ;)

What an excellent way at looking at selling a bike. Takes a little of the sting away.

Agreed and in fact that post hit the nail on the head. I KNOW someone else will appreciate this frame set because it really is that good.

Pastashop
09-04-2016, 07:51 PM
There's that new Specialized handlebar with a rise to it... Just sayin'. :-)

Ronsonic
09-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Yeah I think it does come down to fit. The head tube is even a bit shorter then the stock frame to give it that low down aggressive feel. It's an amazing crit bike but as I get older the longer rides are getting to me.

As I discovered, I do continue to get even older. So the stuff that I was almost too old for five years ago, I'm way too old for. So it will only get worse. Take it out for a good flogging and while your back is still hurting from it, list it here. :hello:

redir
09-06-2016, 08:22 AM
As I discovered, I do continue to get even older. So the stuff that I was almost too old for five years ago, I'm way too old for. So it will only get worse. Take it out for a good flogging and while your back is still hurting from it, list it here. :hello:

Hahahaha! That in fact is my plan. Our local 'Wednesday Worlds' race ride tomorrow night might just be her last voyage. But I may also heed the advice earlier in this thread, hang it up on a peg for the winter and think about it.

Funny thing is I got out my measuring tape last night and the cockpit of my Synapse is only very marginally larger than the Moots. Of course the Moots is fitted with a 130cm stem and longer seat post too.

Bike geometry is a weird thing.