PDA

View Full Version : $5000 threshold

jpw
04-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Would anyone care to guestimate when they think the $5000 retail frame price threshold will be broken, based on extrapolating the known price curve track of recent times?

Would it constitute a 'first' for an American built frame, or have i already missed something?

Ginger
04-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Is it still winter where you live jpw?

Legend_1970
04-05-2004, 01:58 PM
ummmm....Ottrott ST = 5k -without- fork.

Smiley
04-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Is not the Ottrott close to breaking this barrier. I think the frame for the non ST version is what $4300 plus what $500 for ST and were getting pretty close already right ? Whats this a trick question jpw or am I missing something , very slow Captain today or maybe it was the Hull cleaner fumes I inhaled from scrubbing the boat's bottom. :banana:

Roy E. Munson
04-05-2004, 03:43 PM
How much for a Pinarello Dogma Ego? A DeRosa Cinquanta?

jpw
04-05-2004, 04:35 PM
A DeRosa Cinquanta? Is that real or imagined?
May as well have a 'Serotta K5'.

Ahneida Ride
04-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Let's do the math ..... The legend jumped about $300 this year.

300/3000 = 10% increase ...

SO let's assume a 10% annual increase.

Let n = the number of years till a Legend costs $5000.
Let x**y = x to the yth power, that is 2**3 = 8
10% = 0.10

Thus ....................

$3000 ( 1 + 0.10 ) **n = $5000 we solve for n

(1 + 0.10)**n = 5/3

1.1**n = 1.66

n Log(1.1) = Log(1.66)

n (0.0414) = .220

n = .220/.0414 = 5.3 years, lets say 6 years ...

Lets Check this .....

$3000 (1+ 0.1) ** 6 = $3000 ( 1.1 )**6 = $3000 * 1.77 = $5310

SO ......... If the Legend continues to escalate at it's current rate ...
in about 6 years, it will hit the 5K mark.

So the Price increases at 10%, yet we receive 1-2% from the bank :butt:

Ozz
04-05-2004, 05:40 PM
There seems to be a fixatation on what other people pay for bikes and accessories lately. Frankly, it is a tiresome debate, and no one should have to justify to others what they spend on their hobby, just as it is no one's business how much companies decide to charge for their goods.

"Bike stuff" is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If someone pays the asking price, then the item has value to them. Case closed. End of story. Others my not agree, but it is not their money being spent...

I do not mean to single out "jpw" for this. His/her thread just happens to be the one on which I chose to post a response.

Maybe spending more time on bike and less time on computer would help...

:rolleyes:

Smiley
04-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Bikes are a CHEAP hobby , Keno will tell you horses make bikes look very cheap and I'll tell you that maybe this summer there will be less power boats on the bay because of the higher cost of gas at the marine gas stations. To each their own, if you can justify the cost then ENJOY. Aint no Egyptians out there that can take it with them are there ?

Ozz
04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
she still isn't convinced bikes are a cheap hobby!

Ginger
04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Heck, I don't even have high rent horses and I can tell you that bikes are a cheaper hobby!

Roy E. Munson
04-05-2004, 06:09 PM
JPW,

Real, not imagined. Hard to believe there are other bikes out there besides a Serotta, isn't it.

Smiley
04-05-2004, 06:16 PM
tell her that there is some Egyptian in you and you'll take the bikes with you when you go :banana:

Kevin
04-05-2004, 06:18 PM
$5,000 is a cheap hobby compared to sailing, golf, etc. It is also good for you. Everytime I tried sailing I ended up "chumming" the waters within 30 minutes. Whenever I swing the clubs mothers with small children run for their lives. I'll stick to cycling and spending $5,000 on a frame.

Kevin

Ginger
04-05-2004, 06:26 PM
This actually was a very nicely constructed post.

The original poster didn't name Serotta in the original question allowing thread participants to make that defensive jump.
Question creates a sub positive spin - like a frame that costs more than $5000 is perhaps offensive or unconscionable.
Questioner appears to be clueless (Poster however appears knowledgeable in their many many other posts) and seems to truly want to know the information.
Questioner asks a question that is already answered in the company provided materials as pointed out by legend_1970. Asks a question that is easily answered by a math whizz like Ahneida, but makes the question vague enough to draw other poster's opinions.

My apologies if the clue glue just didn't show up in the catalog, shoulda gone to the LBS.
:cool:

Ahneida Ride
04-05-2004, 06:40 PM
I just the Legend as an example, Since I own one ...and was familiar
with the pricing.

The 6 year figure was just an approximation and could be
applied to any manufacture / Product.

Extrapolate as you see fit .....

7 years for a Seven ???

jpw
04-06-2004, 04:31 AM
My head is swollen.

The water is warm... so jump in! ;) :D

jpw
04-06-2004, 05:36 AM
I'm partial to a bit of sailing myself. What's this "chumming" term, and within 30 minutes?

Andreu
04-06-2004, 05:47 AM
Cycling is cheap....per mile... and gets cheaper per mile everytime you go out.
I think of it this way and it makes the initial spend a little easier to live with. And anyway...more time spent on this forum is less time on the bike and less value for money. So I am off because the sun is shining!
A

Kevin
04-06-2004, 05:49 AM
JPW,

Chumming = Vomiting.

Kevin

jpw
04-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Does it attract the sharks? I guess it depends on your diet.

Sailing in international waters...now that's freedom.

djg
04-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Obviously, 5K itself is a pretty arbitrary line, but if that's evocative for you then that's fine.

No doubt 5k is a lot of scratch for most folks. I imagine that this board has wealthier members than me, but I'm a well compensated professional working in a well compensated profession and I still think 5k is a lot of money for a discretionary purchase. But so what? Different folks have different resources and different priorities (different preference functions and budget constraints if you want to ground this in geekier language) and I don't see why my personal "that's a lot of dough for a bike frame" ought to be any kind of barrier for anybody else.

The good news is that there are excellent frames available for a lot less money than this proffered "omigod" threshold and, unless something truly spectacular and unforseen happens to the dollar, there will continue to be truly excellent frames available for a lot less than 5k. Excellent off the rack stuff and excellent custom. Excellent stuff for racing, for touring, for training, for casual centuries--whatever you want. So why should somebody spend almost 5k on an ottrot frame or more than 5k on something else next year?

Er, why the heck not? Our society offers pens that cost more than 5k, dresses that cost more than 5k, hotel rooms that cost more than 5k, etc., etc. The price difference between the most basic Honda Accord and the most deluxe Honda Accord is surely at least 5k, and yet nobody marvels at the guy who goes for the V6, leather, and stereo upgrade. So if somebody loves cycling, and thinks there's something desireable (cool, interesting, funky, smoother, rougher, or just plain different) about a 5k frame as opposed to a 2k frame, then more power to him (or her). I don't own a five thousand dollar bike frame, but I do own two road frames (one Serotta and one Colnago), each of which is quite a bit more expensive than it had to be to keep me cycling. I don't regret either of my bikes--I get a lot of use out of them and they give me a lot of pleasure. I'm sure my bikes (CSi with Chorus 10, CT1 with Record 10) are way over the line for many people just as something else might be way over the line for me. But I just don't think there's anything more to it than that. 5K is "worth it" to those who think it's worth it.