PDA

View Full Version : Tokyowheel?

Cornfed
09-01-2016, 12:45 PM
OK, I was sucked in by a Facebook video ad, but the prices and options seem pretty compelling. Anyone have any experience with this company and their wheels?

https://www.tokyowheel.com/

Lanternrouge
09-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Someone I ride with has had a set for a while and has been happy thus far, though he is not an equipment geek (or snob).

PlaidLion
04-03-2021, 04:48 PM
did you end up buying? they had a sale a week ago 1/2 price and I bought. Now they're doing another sale for easter and I'm wondering if it's just a perpetual sale.

eddief
04-03-2021, 05:57 PM
the google of the company does not lead to much feedback or info from other buyers. something smells just a bit funny.

Velocipede
04-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Anyone wanna guess when the S is gonna sue over the use of the word EPIC?

zmalwo
04-03-2021, 06:09 PM
They are not Japanese because the labels in their factory are in Chinese. You are pretty much buying another Chinese brand.

buddybikes
04-03-2021, 06:20 PM
They are made in Thailand from their website

James realises that the only way to make the next generation of low-cost, high value, Tokyowheels is to build a new in-house vehicle factory in Thailand. Work begins on the VUIU Alpha Factory.

rePhil
04-03-2021, 07:10 PM
I have been getting their sale e mails for years. Their pricing is tempting, but I decided on BTLOS for a little more.

kiwisimon
04-03-2021, 08:43 PM
100% bull**** marketing of generic Chinese wheels. But generic Chinese wheels are not too bad usually. If there is warranty issues they will outsource it to a bike shop near you. In his marketing every time he says their factory or we make, that's a mistruth.

James has moved on to E bikes so has moved to Thailand it appears.

kiwisimon
04-03-2021, 08:44 PM
They are made in Thailand from their website

Wheels are made in China.

PlaidLion
04-03-2021, 09:19 PM
BTLOS has so many customization options!! I priced out similar build. I have no rose colored glasses about what I'm going to get. I think they will be serviceable and there's decent warranty.

At this point, given how their website has been down twice since I ordered - I'm just hoping they arrive. According to the website & emails, they're built to order so ~1wk + 2wk shipping + covid factor.

Promising signs are a decent variety of instagram posters tagging them & that I've received several emails since the order with FAQ, install tips, and maintenance. So that'd be a decent amount of work for a scam.

-M

PS - I wanted the DT Swiss hubs but they were out of stock - I will probably consider upgrading based on how they perform.