PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Sawtooth tires?

Velomcp
09-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Hi. Long time reader, first time posting a thread. Does anyone have feedback on the new Specialized Sawtooth tires? They seem like a great price point for a large, mixed terrain tubeless tire ($40). Particularly interested in how they do on pavement as I would be using them on a bike that sees 85% time as a commuter and 15% on dirt/forest service roads. Curious how they compare to something like a Pasela.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/117719

jtbadge
09-01-2016, 12:05 PM
I want to try these, also.

staggerwing
09-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Looked interesting until I saw mention of a reinforced sidewall. My new diet plan only includes supple tires.

donevwil
09-01-2016, 12:25 PM
No experience, but 615g is pretty heavy, probably too heavy to expect inspiring ride quality on the road. Granted it was probably designed more for puncture/cut protection than ride. As a comparison the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700x40 weighs 490g, rides quite well (albeit not inspiringly well) and is bulletproof.

benb
09-01-2016, 01:39 PM
The 42 size is attractive but the tread doesn't do a lot for me. The Specialized 700x38 Trigger Pro 2Bliss looks more like the ticket for more dirt/gravel use and is 490g.

The Sawtooth kind of looks like it's more tour oriented?

The Challenge Gravel Griders I have right now look a lot like the Trigger Pro.

jmal
09-02-2016, 06:05 AM
There are not likely to be many/any consumer experiences on these tires as they are stock on the new Sequoias, which are not readily available yet. I don't believe the Sawtooths are available yet either. They were not a couple week ago at least. I use Panaracer Gravel King SK 700x40 for gravel and it has been great. Much better than the WTB Nano. It has a very large volume and actually measures 45mm on wide rims. They make a 32 and a 35 if that is too wide for your frame. The Panaracer sets up tubeless as easily as any tire I've ever used and it rides really nicely for a gravel tire. It appears to be made well in that it does not exhibit any warping or weirdness in the casing (see WTB Nano), and so far it is wearing very well. $40 per tire.