PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Annoying squeak (click) while standing...

SoCalSteve
07-12-2006, 10:00 AM
On my Seven Axiom Ti, while standing or high torque pedaling there is a very loud, annoying squeak (click). That is the only time it squeaks (clicks). I truly believe it is somewhere in the drivetrain.

OK, so I ruled out seatpost and saddle (because it happens while standing too). I retensioned the wheels, put Tri-Flo between the cross in the spokes, grease between the qr skewers, blah, blah, blah!

So, I am at a loss. All that is left (in my mind) is replacing the FSA Mega Exo bottom bracket and crankset. Oh yeah, when I installed it, I used teflon tape.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

goonster
07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Not so fast. Before you replace anything, retorque the bb cups and crank bolts.

KevinK
07-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I had a similar infuriating creak and squeaking 2 months ago when standing or pushing hard. After spending weeks checking, tightening and lubing at all the usual suspects, I happened to examing my cleats (Look red/white deltas). My right cleat was split and was causing the squeaking. I replaced it and have been riding in silence ever since. I just recently broken off a corner of my left cleat, and had to replace it also. The plastic these newer red/white cleats are made out of seems quite brittle, so now I make it a point to check them often.

Kevin

bostondrunk
07-12-2006, 11:47 AM
My Look red/white cleats seem to start squeaking non-stop after a few hundred miles use. Drives me nuts. Any tips to stopping this, other than coating with armor all before every single ride??

CalfeeFly
07-12-2006, 11:50 AM
It could very well be your skewers believe it or not. I going insane once with a similar noise. In my case they were Salsa Skewers which I found out later are somewhat known for this "malady." A little well placed grease and all is well or better yet replace them with Campy or Shimano. They don't do it.

SoCalSteve
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
[B]It could very well be your skewers believe it or not. I going insane once with a similar noise. In my case they were Salsa Skewers which I found out later are somewhat known for this "malady." A little well placed grease and all is well or better yet replace them with Campy or Shimano. They don't do it.

Tried Campy Skewers, didnt help.

Any other suggestions???

Oh, I use Dura Ace 7800 SL cleats, its not the shoes/cleats as this doesnt happen with other bikes.

Thanks so far for the suggestions!

Steve

KevinK
07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
My Look red/white cleats seem to start squeaking non-stop after a few hundred miles use. Drives me nuts. Any tips to stopping this, other than coating with armor all before every single ride??

I'm guessing that your squeak is coming from the sole/cleat interface. I use nylon Lemond wedges between my caarbon sole and cleat to correct some cant issues, so I don't have squeaking from there. I use Look CX6 carbon pedals and I don't get any noise between the cleat and pedal.

Kevin

92degrees
07-12-2006, 02:12 PM
noise travels ATMO. my click turned out to be the computer magnet hitting the sender when i stood and cranked really hard.

cosmonaut
07-12-2006, 03:41 PM
I tried the pedals/cleat interface first, then on to the cranks/BB, to no avail. My mechanic thought it might be somewhere in the headset/fork area, so we messed with that. Voila!
I realize you think the problem is in the crank area, and I did too. Have someone check the headset and make sure all is copacetic in there.

NateM
07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Steve,
I had noise develop in my SL pedals when the plastic plate on pedal body got worn.Had a very mysterious click on a Zipp 303 F wheel that turned out to be a spoke that needed a 1/4 turn. Another click that turned out to be a loose drop out on a Alpha Q fork. FD clamp might need some grease on hinge.Chainring bolt,loose cass lockring. A lot of truth to noise traveling on a carbon or Ti bike.

sdouglass
07-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I have had the Look Cleat Squeak problem too! I found that a light coat of grease on the front contact point where the pedal and the cleat mate works wonders.

tbushnel
07-12-2006, 11:24 PM
noise travels ATMO. my click turned out to be the computer magnet hitting the sender when i stood and cranked really hard.

Was your magnet on the front or rear wheel?
tEd.

William
07-13-2006, 05:30 AM
I had a similar problem on the Skunkbird. It went away when I changed out the BB. Very annoying and only happened when I applied power seated, and more so when standing.

William

Serotta_James
07-13-2006, 07:11 AM
If your Axiom is polished Ti (no paint) then I would suggest the front derailleur clamp as a possible culprit here, in addition to the suggestions made above.
Sometimes under load, the front der clamp can move around and scrape against the Ti, very slightly, but enough to cause a slight creaking noise.

SoCalSteve
07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks to everyone. All your advice is/was great!

In the end, turned out it was a loose "Torx" bolt on the chainring of my FSA compact K-Force crankset.

Its all silent now. Shhhhhhhh...

Isnt life grand.

Steve

PS: I torqued, tweaked, greased and basically took apart the bike from the ground up before I decided to replace the FSA crankset/BB with a Shimano compact crank/BB. Shhhhh...