PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of NBD itch

TunaAndBikes
09-01-2016, 08:50 AM
I've been itching to get a new bike recently and as time goes, the itch doesn't go away.
How do you guys scratch it without getting a new one?
Do you even try?
How do you convince your roommate that a bike rack would be better than the TV in the living room?

thegunner
09-01-2016, 08:58 AM
why try? and a roommate is way easier to convince than a spouse. if you're going to do it, do it now.

oldpotatoe
09-01-2016, 08:58 AM
I've been itching to get a new bike recently and as time goes, the itch doesn't go away.
Do you even try?
How do you convince your roommate that a bike rack would be better than the TV in the living room?

I think if the bike ya got has goods and others..and you need to try to fix that problem, answer that question, whatever it is..you scratch that itch. If the bike/frame/fork/wheels/group ya ride..has no questions connected, you don't.

IMHO-I have a MXLeader..I have no itch to replace it.

Caballero
09-01-2016, 09:01 AM
IMHO-I have a MXLeader..I have no itch to replace it.

Oldpotatoe - you got any pics of your Merckx ??? I hear about it all the time but I've not seen it ! Sounds quite the machine

Tickdoc
09-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Do you even try?

You'll find a way to scratch that itch.

For me, it's pros, cons, money, add in a little chance or luck and whammo, decision made.

sandyrs
09-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Does the bike you want do anything your current bike doesn't?

oldpotatoe
09-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Oldpotatoe - you got any pics of your Merckx ??? I hear about it all the time but I've not seen it ! Sounds quite the machine

from last winter..at the bottom, I photo-ed the process of plumbing.

http://s148.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

Caballero
09-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Now that's a good looking bike. And a very well thought out setup !!:beer:

JAGI410
09-01-2016, 09:26 AM
I set rules/goals.

1) no new bike unless it says Santa Cruz or Pivot on the side

2) no new bike until goal weight is reached

TunaAndBikes
09-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Does the bike you want do anything your current bike doesn't?

I'd want a road bike.
Have a cross bike right now.
Lines are blurry...

09-01-2016, 10:45 AM
I will probably never have enough money for a new bike unless I sell my current one. So I just swap out stem/bars and pedals to change the feel of the ride. Platform -> clipless and drops -> riser -> townie. It's enough to scratch the new bike itch.

I use parts bin items so the only real cost is bar tape and cables.

pdmtong
09-01-2016, 07:34 PM
no new bikes (shame) since 2013 and somehow I am surviving. yet< at some point I will have to reconcile against the marketing pressure that my bikes will be ten years old.

next road will be an eTAP sarto or an eTAP C60 just to get a light(er) road bike in the mix. otherwise the boutique steel and ti are riding just fine now that I have nicer wheels.

next mtb will be some kind of 27.5+ 150mm 1x11 full-suspension. until then, the dirt has no idea my 2010 s-works fsr is obsolete.

something new would be incremental gains. what we all need is more time, and to be in the mindset to enjoy what time we have.

alexstar
09-01-2016, 07:42 PM
I bought a Kirk in 2014... the itch disappeared. Such a nice ride and fits perfectly. It's hard to imagine anything improving on it.

fuzzalow
09-01-2016, 08:12 PM
I am also at the tipping point. It is being induced by EPS.

My last new bike was 2014 - an Eriksen. I got it at a time in moving from a house to an apartment - when I sold off all that I could for modern bikes in downsizing. All that was left - the vintage stuff and a modern Vanilla, Peg and Bruce Gordon went into storage. Until my living arrangements were solidified, I wasn't even contemplating adding more stuff that I might have to move again later.

Back then I toyed with having the Eriksen setup for EPS but I dawdled and didn't get back to Kent in time to have my frame built for EPS. So I missed the opening & opportunity. I'm not sending the bike back to Kent to be retrofitted for EPS. I'll simply talk myself into a new bike instead with the new bike being pulled in by the vortex & wake of EPS. Talk about back asswards!

dustyrider
09-01-2016, 08:36 PM
I just can't seem to recall that itch. Funny cause I'm finally at a point in my life where I could buy any bike I want and not have to make sacrifices in other areas of my life. When I was just 10 years younger, I'd limit my choices in food types to have some "new" bicycle stuffs. Now I'm finding myself riding what I got and being happy with it. I guess that really doesn't help you any...maybe you ought to scratch the itch while you've got it!

parris
09-01-2016, 08:56 PM
I've been picking up pieces/parts to get the bikes I own in line with how I'm evolving. My wife bought me some tools for my upcoming birthday that I've been wanting for a long time but have been too cheap to buy myself. :hello: Things like that scratch the itch pretty well... Then again I've been very lucky to have what for me are some great bikes that fit and ride well.

R3awak3n
09-01-2016, 09:20 PM
usually to scratch the itch I just do some sort of upgrade or try something new (new tires, tubeless, new wheels, ect).

sometimes it gets the best of me and I just get the damn bike. I am capped now and the happiest I have ever been with my 3 bikes. However, I am thinking one might go in the future and a mountain bike will replace it.

tumbler
09-01-2016, 10:15 PM

I've been known to take mine apart, clean and stare at every little part, and put it back together with plenty of grease and love. I've found that this helps with chronic itching.

beeatnik
09-01-2016, 11:07 PM
next road will be an eTAP sarto or an eTAP C60 just to get a light(er) road bike in the mix. otherwise the boutique steel and ti are riding just fine now that I have nicer wheels.

Sarto w/ eTAP and a C60 w/ eTAP, the only two droolworthy bikas I've seen on the World Famous Montrose Ride in the last 2 years.

Hay, OP, just buy some nice new tires and maybe a spensive Australian lycra kit.

pdmtong
09-02-2016, 01:39 AM
Sarto w/ eTAP and a C60 w/ eTAP, the only two droolworthy bikas I've seen on the World Famous Montrose Ride in the last 2 years.

Hay, OP, just buy some nice new tires and maybe a spensive Australian lycra kit.

yo, you and I can be founding members of the next mutual admiration society...I am all in on the cleanliness of eTAP and ok with the slight lag and clunk (will address the rear shifting via Boras and a chorus cassette.)

oh, and did I mention the sweetness of the tapered hoods of eTAP? so nice in the hands. no one talks about this feature...

tigoat
09-02-2016, 06:38 AM
I have had to scratch many itches before but nowadays I am too numb to feel anything. Wish I still have some more itches to scratch sometimes. I am fortunate to able to buy anything (bikes) that I like but I am just very happy to be riding with what I got, as buying a new bike gets to be too boring. With that said, I would buy a Canyon (the one rode by Kristoff) today if they had one to fit me.

Paul: didn’t you place a new order at the recent bike show?
Fuzz: you are getting another Eriksen?

witcombusa
09-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Do you even try?

Ditch the TV, best thing you could ever do.
Does the roommate get a vote? Do they want a new bike too?
I am absolutely itch free, have been for years now as nothing new has appealed to me for years. I'll just make do somehow with the choices already available to me :)

fuzzalow
09-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Fuzz: you are getting another Eriksen?

Dogma F8.

I almost feel defensive about buying one, what with my loyalties skewed towards the custom builders. But I haven't ridden carbon since a Colnago c-50 and the seduction of Italian bici pulls me back into a production-based offering 'cos that's pretty much all there is. It might be a challenge to fit into one. I tried getting a DeRosa custom but nobody wants to handle the order & DeRosa has a very tight view of what they wanna do as custom. I have never heard of Sarto until this thread - I'm not up that well of stuff in the bike world.

54ny77
09-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Fuzz, Passoni's are beautiful Italian custom. Crazy $ though.

http://www.passoni.it/

Dogma F8.

I almost feel defensive about buying one, what with my loyalties skewed towards the custom builders. But I haven't ridden carbon since a Colnago c-50 and the seduction of Italian bici pulls me back into a production-based offering 'cos that's pretty much all there is. It might be a challenge to fit into one. I tried getting a DeRosa custom but nobody wants to handle the order & DeRosa has a very tight view of what they wanna do as custom. I have never heard of Sarto until this thread - I'm not up that well of stuff in the bike world.

tigoat
09-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Man that is so freaking cool. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the heads up.

Dogma F8.

sandyrs
09-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Dogma F8.

the seduction of Italian bici pulls me back into a production-based offering 'cos that's pretty much all there is.

Not exactly...

I have never heard of Sarto until this thread - I'm not up that well of stuff in the bike world.

As mentioned Sarto and Passoni, but also Legend, Formigli, Tomassini, Divo, and I'm sure others all do custom carbon in Italy.

fuzzalow
09-02-2016, 07:39 AM
Fuzz, Passoni's are beautiful Italian custom. Crazy $ though.

http://www.passoni.it/

Yeah, some beautiful bikes there.

Lotsa stuff is crazy $ nowadays. I can console myself in the thought that as an apartment dweller, there MUST be a cap on the number of bikes I can own - I think that's why you see some crazy zoot bikes on some in town: when one is all ya got room for, who cares if it costs like three combined!

Man that is so freaking cool. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the heads up.

HaHa! Naw, no tease on my part for what is chosen as the next project, it is the challenge of getting it dialed in and making it work! I will admit however that I do like the lines of what's designed into the F8 and that aesthetic is what got me back into choosing a production frame: all those proprietary swoops and curves. That aesthetic can't be done by small custom builders so I went for the look as much as anything else. But it won't mean ding if I can't find the correct balance point in the fit & position into that frame. I'll soon find out although it's too late to turn back now.

tigoat
09-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Fuzz:

I know what you mean about individual “custom” builders can’t build a truly custom bike. Most of them will make what they want to make for you, not what you want as a true custom piece. Plus that long waiting game is just getting old nowadays. Enough of that sh*t.

FYI, 3T has a 150mm negative 17 degree stem that might come in handy to stretch it out on your new bike. I have the 140mm version on one of my bikes and it seems plenty stiff. If I bought a F8 or a Canyon, then I would need a stem in a negative 45 degree or more to lower the front end to my liking.

Cheers!

Mzilliox
09-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Im on the search for the right road bike, and will probably be changing around some things on the travel/cross front as well. I'm chasing the fit as much as the bike. i am just about dialed into what fits, now its finding the right combos.

Good luck, i think if the itch doesn't go away, you just gotta scratch it.

eippo1
09-02-2016, 10:54 AM
I find that Anti-Monkey Butt works for every itch, including new bike itch. $5 is way cheaper than $5k too. :banana:

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

pdmtong
09-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Paul: didn’t you place a new order at the recent bike show?

Almost ... but I came to my senses. Really like Rob English as a person and for his innovation but the reality is I do not need another metal road bike despite his siren song. Next bike - if road will be return to carbon (had a Parlee Z3c) but more likely a newer mtb

Btw love the idea of Fuzz on a F8. If that won't fit then suggest custom Sarto with a BSA bb!!!!

weisan
09-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Two things have helped me scratch the NBD itch effectively in the past.

1) The experience of owning and riding a number of bikes that don't fit exactly right and in some degree a compromise.

which led me to finally went ahead and...

2) got a custom that fits like a glove and rides EXACTLY the way I want it.

From then on, whenever a pretty girl...er...I mean, bike shows up at the classifieds or elsewhere, I will give it a nod and carry on walking... :D

type2sam
09-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Two things have helped me scratch the NBD itch effectively in the past.

1) The experience of owning and riding a number of bikes that don't fit exactly right and in some degree a compromise.

which led me to finally went ahead and...

2) got a custom that fits like a glove and rides EXACTLY the way I want it.

From then on, whenever a pretty girl...er...I mean, bike shows up at the classifieds or elsewhere, I will give it a nod and carry on walking... :D

Yeah, I'm about at that point. The biggest off the peg bikes from the major manufacturers (and even the small ones) don't fit without compromises.