PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar palsy, suggestions for grip?

TronnyJenkins
09-01-2016, 06:18 AM
I did my second Hotter 'n Hell 100 last Saturday and crushed it. By that I mean my time from last year AND also my ulnar nerve apparently. I'm wondering if it's due to a lazy grip. Sometimes I catch myself riding with my wrist at a very severe angle (bent backward). I'm assuming it's better form to ride with the wrist as straight as possible?

I was reading that it's an overuse injury. That's logical, but I've just decided that I'll be doing some racing so I need to find out what I'm doing wrong. Also, I like to play guitar and drums. And grab.

jmal
09-01-2016, 06:32 AM
My experience in longer/harder races is that fatigue can lead to leaning on the bars more than normal, which increases the chances of compressing the ulnar nerve. You are also correct about the angle of the wrist. Extension of the wrist compresses the nerve a bit and over time, and with other factors, can add up to numbness and tingling. I also like fatter bars and thicker tape to distribute pressure better than thinner setups.

ripvanrando
09-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Longer distances, rough roads, poor bike fit, inappropriate tire selection, poorly designed gloves, weak core, poor bike setup, and not frequently changing hand position during a ride could be a factor in numb hands.

Big comfortable tires are probably the best preventative measure followed by correct bike fit.

Pastashop
09-01-2016, 08:12 AM
I'd suggest these, in this order of effectiveness and economy:

1. Raise the bars a bit
2. Move seat back a bit
3. Fit fatter tires & lower pressure
4. Extra padding / tape
5. Look into randonneuring bars (from Compass Cycles) or carbon bars with flat ("aero") top section.

All assuming you have a bike that fits to begin with.

TronnyJenkins
09-06-2016, 03:03 PM
I'm starting to wonder if my new gloves could be the culprit. They seem to be amply padded, but maybe the padding is in the wrong location.

I bought my new Giro gloves at the expo before HHH (old Pearls smell something awful, even with a twice weekly wash) but I don't really recall this issue with my old gloves.

I went out with a group today for 51 miles and changed my grip quite a bit but have some very slight laziness/palsy. My plan is to use the old Pearl gloves the next few rides and see.

If that turns out to be it, I might try the GripGrab gloves...

FlashUNC
09-06-2016, 03:16 PM
One grip suggestion I got when I first started riding. For hand placement when in the drops, think boxer, not wheelbarrow. Would help with some of those wrist bend issues.

TronnyJenkins
09-06-2016, 04:04 PM
One grip suggestion I got when I first started riding. For hand placement when in the drops, think boxer, not wheelbarrow. Would help with some of those wrist bend issues.

That helps! Thanks.

benb
09-06-2016, 04:06 PM

What does this mean? Some kind of grip difference? Are you referencing the sport of boxing?

Louis
09-06-2016, 04:14 PM
What does this mean? Some kind of grip difference? Are you referencing the sport of boxing?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it refers to the part of the drop bars one would grip. The "boxer" position would be deeper in the hooks, whereas the "wheelbarrow" position would be on the horizontal portion of the the bars, closer to the bar ends plugs.

TronnyJenkins
09-06-2016, 04:15 PM
I'm picturing
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/punkrockdrummer5/3DA2EDDD-188D-49BB-AD43-02C3317A0E7C_zpsn7fxvx8t.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/punkrockdrummer5/media/3DA2EDDD-188D-49BB-AD43-02C3317A0E7C_zpsn7fxvx8t.jpg.html)

VS

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/punkrockdrummer5/D4DB5E37-0B9D-4082-B6AA-CCFD45F61E04_zpsp7vk3nw9.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/punkrockdrummer5/media/D4DB5E37-0B9D-4082-B6AA-CCFD45F61E04_zpsp7vk3nw9.jpg.html)

benb
09-06-2016, 04:24 PM
In other words no ulnar deviation. :)

You shouldn't bend your wrist like that with a wheelbarrow either... and I'm going to guess if you can even bend your wrist that way on your drops you have the drops rotated strangely or the reach is too long or something??

Louis
09-06-2016, 04:33 PM
So this would be OK:

http://garden-services.com/gallery/garden_clipart/images/wheelbarrow_man.jpg

Louis
09-06-2016, 04:36 PM
This would not be OK:

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x4736891/girl-pushing-wheelbarrow.jpg

Louis
09-06-2016, 04:45 PM
There's some more ulnar-related info here:
(I have no idea if it's reliable or not)

http://overhaultraining.com/ulnar-nerve-entrapment-treatment/

http://overhaultraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Cyclist-palsey.jpg

FlashUNC
09-06-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it refers to the part of the drop bars one would grip. The "boxer" position would be deeper in the hooks, whereas the "wheelbarrow" position would be on the horizontal portion of the the bars, closer to the bar ends plugs.

This. Make it look like you're putting your dukes up, not lugging soil around.

type2sam
09-06-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm starting to wonder if my new gloves could be the culprit. They seem to be amply padded, but maybe the padding is in the wrong location.

I bought my new Giro gloves at the expo before HHH (old Pearls smell something awful, even with a twice weekly wash) but I don't really recall this issue with my old gloves.

I went out with a group today for 51 miles and changed my grip quite a bit but have some very slight laziness/palsy. My plan is to use the old Pearl gloves the next few rides and see.

I'd second everything that Pastashop offered.

I have a pair of Pearl GEL gloves from way back (1991?) that had padding running perpendicular to the ulnar nerve and these worked great. All the ones I find these days (including new Pearls) have padding that runs parallel to the nerve. Sometimes older is better (except that the GEL is now leaking out - ick.)

stephenmarklay
09-06-2016, 10:06 PM
This would not be OK:

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x4736891/girl-pushing-wheelbarrow.jpg

She looks so much happier?

ripvanrando
09-07-2016, 06:08 AM

Some gloves have the padding perfectly placed......to hit the ulnar nerve....I have some lousy gloves that do it to me.

I use these for long rides.

http://www.gripgrab.com/product/supergel

TronnyJenkins
09-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Some gloves have the padding perfectly placed......to hit the ulnar nerve....I have some lousy gloves that do it to me.

I use these for long rides.

http://www.gripgrab.com/product/supergel

That's kind of what I'm wondering about with my new Giros.

And yes, the girl with the wheelbarrow looks way happier, lol.

ripvanrando
09-07-2016, 07:45 AM
That's kind of what I'm wondering about with my new Giros.

And yes, the girl with the wheelbarrow looks way happier, lol.

Ok, I got handlebar palsy once. Brutal. It was the gloves. I NOW use them when doing yardwork now. I just went out to the shed where they are stored where they belong.....in the wheelbarrow. They are also ok for raking.

The POS gloves are made by Giro. YMMV.

TronnyJenkins
09-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Ok, I got handlebar palsy once. Brutal. It was the gloves. I NOW use them when doing yardwork now. I just went out to the shed where they are stored where they belong.....in the wheelbarrow. They are also ok for raking.

The POS gloves are made by Giro. YMMV.

Interesting. Thank you for chiming in with that data point.

ALSO. I can't believe this whole time I haven't noticed my typo in the thread name. Habdlebar. LOL.

These are what I got.
http://www.giro.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/970x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/i/giro_g_strateduresupergel_black.jpeg

CampyorBust
09-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Have not read the whole thread, I dont like gloves on the road, maybe try some Fizik bar gel under the tape. it adds a good amount of cush and vibration dampening.

Cromolyman
11-28-2018, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure which is worse, starting a new thread on the same subject or bumping an old one. Apologies in advance if i've made the wrong choice.

Has anyone had problems with just weakness of the thumb following a ride? No tingling or numbness during the ride. When I got home I got my key out of my jersey pocket and could barely grip it between by thumb and forefinger to open the door.

cal_len1
11-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I get the same thing on my mountain bike, when I go longer than 4 hours. It's to the point I can barely shift. The cause is same thing as above, when you just put too much pressure on your hands. More core strengthening is the final solution, but other things may be an alright band aid.

TronnyJenkins
11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
I would agree. Since starting this thread, I’ve had best results with core strengthening and proper bike position. The core stuff sucks but it makes you feel better on the bike!

ETA: also, I pay a lot of attention to how I’m gripping the bars now.

cp43
11-29-2018, 09:47 AM
I would agree. Since starting this thread, I’ve had best results with core strengthening and proper bike position. The core stuff sucks but it makes you feel better on the bike!

ETA: also, I pay a lot of attention to how I’m gripping the bars now.

Did changing gloves help at all?

I had a similar problem this summer, and it was after getting new gloves.

Thanks,

Chris

Alaska Mike
11-29-2018, 12:03 PM
I went through the same thing when the manufacturer of my favorite gloves changed the design. I've gone through a lot of gloves since, and have yet to settle. Since I favor padded, full-finger designs, my options are limited for road gloves.

I have very wide palms and long fingers. Narrow bars start creating weird pressure points around the radial and ulnar nerve on longer rides. Core strength helps, but at a certain point fatigue and vibration do me in.

Eventually I moved to "wing" shaped bars with a flattened section, and now I'm favoring aero bars like the ENVE SES- even on non-aero bikes. The large, flat platform spreads out the pressure in a variety of tops-to-hoods hand positions, and the flared drops make it easier for me to ride in the drops without bending at the wrist. I also think they look good, but that's really secondary.

cal_len1
11-29-2018, 08:37 PM
I went through the same thing when the manufacturer of my favorite gloves changed the design. I've gone through a lot of gloves since, and have yet to settle. Since I favor padded, full-finger designs, my options are limited for road gloves.

You may look at mountain bike gloves specifically for cross country mountain biking, you will find those being very similar to full finger road gloves.

steelbikerider
11-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Improve core strength, ride with bent elbows and change hand positions every few minutes. You know your core is strong enough when you can hold yourself in the full drop position with only 1 finger touching the bar for stabilty.

Cromolyman
12-08-2018, 10:40 PM
I've ridden thousands of miles without gloves and never had a problem. I work my core (all muscles that attache to my pelvis) consistently.

The problem started when I switched to a new bike that was set up exactly as the old one. After a few weeks I noticed that the large mass of muscle at the base of my left thumb felt like it was bruised without any discoloration. Then on the first cold ride of the season, I wore a pair of full fingered Pearl Izumi gloves just for warmth. Those gloves happened to have a rectangle of padding right over the spot that felt bruised. After a few hours on the bike is when I returned and had difficulty gripping the key between left index and thumb.

Mystified, I examined the new bike carefully and found that the LBS that built it up had placed the left brake/shifter body higher up the curve of the bar so that there wasn't a smooth, level transition to the bar. The meaty part of my thumb had been resting all those miles on an imperceptible 2mm step that was covered with Cinelli cork.

The weird thing about it is, that the thumb continues to get stronger (from 10% to 90%) but the muscle contiues to atrophy. Scary s**t. I have an appointment with a P.T. this week.

soulspinner
12-09-2018, 06:30 AM
Improve core strength, ride with bent elbows and change hand positions every few minutes. You know your core is strong enough when you can hold yourself in the full drop position with only 1 finger touching the bar for stabilty.

Agree...

soulspinner
12-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Also see a lot of people riding without gloves. That ceased for me after my first nasty crash two decades ago.

TronnyJenkins
01-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Just read this. If this is the goal, I'm at about 10% of it. That, or my position is way off. I have great flexibility, but I tried to balance in hood riding position with no hands and it's almost impossible.

steelbikerider
01-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Try it on a trainer first. The old CONI manual said weight balance should be 55%r/45%f and I have never seen anything to dispute that so you should be able to balance. You could also tuck one hand behind your back, it will make you a little more stable.