PDA

View Full Version : What Nitto handlebars are closest to Deda Speciale?

Llewellyn
08-31-2016, 04:31 PM
My new Tommasini frame has a threaded steerer so that means a quill stem and 26mm handlebars. I'm going to use a Nitto dynamic stem and would like to get some silver handlebars to match. I have a Deda Speciale on another bike which works well but was hoping that Nitto make something similar that is polished instead of anodised.

Can anyone with experience of Nitto bars enlighten me which model might be closest to the Deda's or recommend a Nitto bar that is good for normal road riding.

drewellison
08-31-2016, 05:13 PM
How about these?
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/deda-speciale-26-handlebars-25-8/

adamhell
08-31-2016, 05:26 PM
just get noodles. they're great.

steamer
08-31-2016, 05:39 PM
just get noodles. they're great.

I concur. Have them on two bikes.

The B105 might be a better match for the Deda, though. But be aware the B105's have a bit more reach than the Dedas.

jzisk
08-31-2016, 05:45 PM
I love the M106. Room between tops and brakes for a flat area; nice moderately deep drop. Moderate reach too. Close to Deda's RHM feel in the "D", but not compact. A good road feel for me. In silver or black.

bicycletricycle
08-31-2016, 06:13 PM
I like noodles as well but the 176 are closer to those deda I think

marciero
08-31-2016, 06:18 PM
I did not see drop/reach measurements but the mod 176 appears close to that Deda. The 176 is like the noodle (or mod 177) but without the noodly bends on the tops. I have both of these bars on different bikes and like them a lot. Another difference is that the drops are a little closer to parallel to the tops on the noodles. I agree that noodles are pretty great.

OperaLover
08-31-2016, 07:58 PM
The slight bend back on the tops is nicely ergonomic and very comfortable.

merckx
08-31-2016, 08:21 PM
Mark's Bar is a direct match to the Deda bar.

rustychisel
08-31-2016, 09:26 PM
I believe forumite fiertetimetwo has a set of Noodle bars in 46cm here in SA for sale, if'n you're that way inclined (& big enough).

rodcad
08-31-2016, 09:28 PM
just get noodles. They're great.

+1000

marciero
09-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Mark's Bar is a direct match to the Deda bar.

I have one of these. I hated it. Is completely different than the other Nittos in play here. I cant attest to how good a match it is but will sell cheap if interested.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Dream 176s, have both and bend is pretty close. Can grab a pic of both side by side if ya like.

ColonelJLloyd
09-01-2016, 08:21 AM
To each his own, but I would like to add a counter point of view on Noodles. They are like the anti-randonneur bend. The tops come back to the rider a bit (which is interesting, though I didn't like this), but THEY DROP DOWN slightly from the center clamp. They were uncomfortable to me for this reason.

How about these?
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/deda-speciale-26-handlebars-25-8/

+1 If that's the desired bend. . .

I agree that the Nitto Mark's Bar is probably closest to the Deda Speciale. The B115 Classic is a bend that isn't far off, but a little rounder drops than the Deda. The Noodle has an even rounder bend.

MikeD
09-01-2016, 09:35 AM
I can't understand how people can like a rounded hook. How does that fit your hands when you're on the drops? So unergonomic and uncomfortable for me.

ColonelJLloyd
09-01-2016, 09:39 AM
I can't understand how people can like a rounded hook. How does that fit your hands when you're on the drops? So unergonomic and uncomfortable for me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because the human hand is super adaptive? Because I have XXL mitts? They feel good to me.

steamer
09-01-2016, 12:26 PM
To each his own, but I would like to add a counter point of view on Noodles. They are like the anti-randonneur bend. The tops come back to the rider a bit (which is interesting, though I didn't like this), but THEY DROP DOWN slightly from the center clamp. They were uncomfortable to me for this reason.

Good point. This is not often recognized. I didn't notice till after I mounted a pair. But they work for me. The downward slope is quite subtle, unlike the upward sweep on a rando bend.

In fact I have a pair of Nitto 132's in good condition that I'd sell cheap. I couldn't stand the rando bend. I missed the position on the tops too much. I tried to like them for over a year but I found myself avoiding the bike they were mounted on just because of the bars. Finally cried uncle and swapped to a different bar just last weekend.

marciero
09-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Good point. This is not often recognized. I didn't notice till after I mounted a pair. But they work for me. The downward slope is quite subtle, unlike the upward sweep on a rando bend.

In fact I have a pair of Nitto 132's in good condition that I'd sell cheap. I couldn't stand the rando bend. I missed the position on the tops too much. I tried to like them for over a year but I found myself avoiding the bike they were mounted on just because of the bars. Finally cried uncle and swapped to a different bar just last weekend.

In my experience the downward and backward sweep on the Noodles makes for a more comfortable perch on the tops, while the backward sweep gives the ramp a more rounded contoured shape, for comfort on the round part of the ramp. I think this is similar to the effect of rando bars like the Compass or GB, which not only sweep up but have the upward bulge of the ramps for a nice contour to fit the hand. That's really the point of the upward sweep on those bars-to facilitate the bulge. The 132s on the other hand have the upward sweep, but the design is not carried through to the ramps, which are flat with no bulge. I cant see the point of that design. All it does is effectively raise the bars. That said, in practice I have found the 132, which I have on a single speed, fairly comfortable.

Llewellyn
09-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've ordered a pair of M106's. the drop and reach is pretty close to the Deda's and I have small hands so I'm hopeful they'll work out. I just wish Ritchey made ergonomic silver bars in 26mm - Ritchey have been my favourite for years.

steamer
09-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've ordered a pair of M106's. the drop and reach is pretty close to the Deda's and I have small hands so I'm hopeful they'll work out. I just wish Ritchey made ergonomic silver bars in 26mm - Ritchey have been my favourite for years.
The shape is quite different. The 106 is a modern style compact and the Deda isn't.

steamer
09-01-2016, 07:39 PM
In my experience the downward and backward sweep on the Noodles makes for a more comfortable perch on the tops, while the backward sweep gives the ramp a more rounded contoured shape, for comfort on the round part of the ramp. I think this is similar to the effect of rando bars like the Compass or GB, which not only sweep up but have the upward bulge of the ramps for a nice contour to fit the hand. That's really the point of the upward sweep on those bars-to facilitate the bulge. The 132s on the other hand have the upward sweep, but the design is not carried through to the ramps, which are flat with no bulge. I cant see the point of that design. All it does is effectively raise the bars. That said, in practice I have found the 132, which I have on a single speed, fairly comfortable.

Yeah, Nitto sort of missed the boat. I didn't actually find the ramp position bad, I just missed the position on the tops. And I didn't like how narrow the hood position is. The drops were great though.