PDA

View Full Version : Edge 305 Issue

wdlewis
07-12-2006, 05:26 AM
The displayed speed on my Garmin Edge 305 is very erratic. All other data appears correct.

I am riding on a trail that is partially obscured by trees.

The customer support wait time is over 30 minutes and I don't have that kind of time.

Anybody have this problem with the unit?

swoop
07-12-2006, 08:25 AM
nope.

bostondrunk
07-12-2006, 08:48 AM

There is your answer, especially if it works when you are out in the open.
Needs to be able to 'see' the satelite...no?

swoop
07-12-2006, 09:17 AM
should be ok if it's partially obscured. it sources a good 5 or 6 different satellites at the same time.

vaxn8r
07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I ride a lot of hilly, very wooded road rides and I lose data, particularly in the hills with a lot of tree and terrain cover. It isn't enough to affect the total data of a ride of 50-80 miles so I live with it. It's a cool machine and gives more info than anything else on the market...but it (sadly) isn't perfect.

I thought using the cadence monitor might fix that problem but it doesn't. If someone figures that out let me know.

jbrainin
07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
never mind.

CalfeeFly
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
The displayed speed on my Garmin Edge 305 is very erratic. All other data appears correct.

The customer support wait time is over 30 minutes and I don't have that kind of time.

Anybody have this problem with the unit?

Borrow a telephone with a speaker phone...let it play music while you go about your business...eventually they will answer and hopefully solve all your problems. It is just a suggestion but one that has worked well for me over the last 25 years or so. (When I bought a phone with in a built in speaker...believe it or not it still works...I guess they don't build phones like they used to.)

My guess is your transmission to the satellites is interupted and there really isn't much you can do about it while you are in those types of areas. I used the Timex satellite linked running watch for years in urban/surburban areas from the very time it came out without problems. I think I read however when your transmission can be obscured then you can have problems.

bostondrunk
07-12-2006, 11:53 AM
I had a forerunner 301. The HR on it never worked. Garmin's solution was for me to send it back for warranty repair, which seemed to also include a mandatory $40 minimum charge. No thanks.

TriJim
07-12-2006, 12:05 PM
My Edge 305 has a magnet and wheel rpm sensor that is part of the cadence sensor. When the unit has trouble 'seeing' satellites it substitutes the speed provided by the wheel sensor. It even 'calibrates' for different wheel sizes/speeds automatically by comparing the satellite/wheel distance traveled. Is yours present, attached, and working properly?

Check out the Edge 305 maps and elevations from Ottrott at: link. (http://www.feviper.com/Ottrott.htm)

Good luck! :beer: