PDA

View Full Version : Quintana zings Froome

MattTuck
08-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Says that power meters should be banned from racing. ha!

"They take away a lot of spectacle and make you race more cautiously," Quintana said. "I'd be the first in line to say they should be banned."

"I think they’re really useful for training, but they take out a lot of drama from the sport," added Valverde. "In competition you should be racing on feelings."

R3awak3n
08-30-2016, 09:38 PM
say both dudes that used a PM and did not win squat...

saab2000
08-30-2016, 09:40 PM

Valverde is consistently the Nr. 1 racer in world rankings. He wins races.

They should ban race radios too. Frankly, I'd be in favor of banning most electronics but keeping a basic computer for time and distance as this can be useful for everyone and is simple. But I'm a luddite. So there.

I'd put up a banner every 10km from the start to the finish instead of all this radio and chats with team cars. Let the legs do the talking. Oh well, ain't likely to happen.

kramnnim
08-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Power2Max must be thrilled.

livingminimal
08-30-2016, 10:42 PM

Go away.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/giro14st21_nairo_pink.jpg

R3awak3n
08-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Go away.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/giro14st21_nairo_pink.jpg

ahhaha I was kidding and really don't care about any of this (read, bike racing), this whole thing just sounds like whining to me.

also the bike in that pic has a PM :eek:

also I like Quintana...

oldpotatoe
08-31-2016, 05:56 AM

They may have a PM on their bike, cuz, ya know, they are paid to have one..but that doesn't mean they use it or want it. Indurain famously(ok, maybe not famously) had a Avocet wired computer on his bike..w/o a wire down to a sensor..just the head..for sponsorship.

BTW..Quintana and Valverde have better palmares than me(and you)..

I agree with saab2000 tho..ban the stinking race radios..let these guys make their own success or failure..not some guy jabbering in his ear.

weisan
08-31-2016, 07:22 AM
"I am not a robot."

We have heard Froome and maybe a few others expressed this a couple of times in

berserk87
08-31-2016, 07:36 AM
The lack of radios made the Olympic road race a bit more dramatic, didn't it?

54ny77
08-31-2016, 07:37 AM
ab-so-lutely!

the most experienced u.s. rider was where she needed to be at the end. that was smarts (and good luck along the way).

such a bummer that she didn't get the win.

The lack of radios made the Olympic road race a bit more dramatic, didn't it?

fignon's barber
08-31-2016, 07:46 AM
Part of racing is thinking. I have always been against radios. Froome staring at the power meter, totally oblivious to the race around him, on climbs takes it to a new level. I like Froome personally,seems like a good guy, but hate that style of racing.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2016, 08:14 AM
Quintana and Froome are the Mutt and Jeff or the Abbot and Costello of bike racing right now. Can you show me two more different bodies and styles of riding?

chiasticon
08-31-2016, 08:14 AM
don't really care a ton about race radios or power meters. and I don't have a particular interest in Quintana, Valverde or Froome. I just think the whole thing is petty and picking a fight with a rival for no reason. especially when said rival's team drug you through France (when you weren't hanging onto a motorcycle, that is) to a podium finish.

harlond
08-31-2016, 08:39 AM
don't really care a ton about race radios or power meters. and I don't have a particular interest in Quintana, Valverde or Froome. I just think the whole thing is petty and picking a fight with a rival for no reason. especially when said rival's team drug you through France (when you weren't hanging onto a motorcycle, that is) to a podium finish.Did Quintana actually say anything about Froome using a power meter?

Raffy
08-31-2016, 08:52 AM
"In competition you should be racing on feelings."

Way I read this - If you feel like using your PM today, do so. If you feel like racing on feel, do so. Much ado about nothing IMO :)

MattTuck
08-31-2016, 08:59 AM
Yeah, my definition of a 'zing', isn't necessarily something that is really serious. Just sort of a jab to get in Froome's head. I consider this good natured (in fun) trash talking. Not a serious attempt to alter world tour policy.

kramnnim
08-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Lol. They just asked Froome what he thought of banning power meters and he said sure, lets go back to single speed bikes, too.

Keith A
08-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Froome responded today in his post stage interview. When asked about this, he said something like "why not, maybe we should go back to single speed bikes".

eippo1
08-31-2016, 11:16 AM
If they got rid of PM's in races, what on earth would he look at?

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

chiasticon
08-31-2016, 11:16 AM
Did Quintana actually say anything about Froome using a power meter?no, but all of the post-stage-ten interviews with Froome had questions about why he purposefully dropped off the lead group (with Quintana) and then rode his own pace to the finish. and then whether he was just targeting a specific power for the climb, or riding on feel. so Quintana and Valverde then commenting on power meters is pretty obviously a little jab in his direction.

phcollard
08-31-2016, 11:18 AM
No to power meters.
No to radios.
Let the riders feel the race by themselves instead of being given constant "strategy advices" over the air by some dude in a car!
Bring back stuff from the good old days of cycling or soon races are going to be as boring as Formula 1!

But hey I would still love to see in live race cams, reliable live GPS position and live figures... So nobody calls me a grumpy retrogrouch.

phcollard
08-31-2016, 11:20 AM
Froome responded today in his post stage interview. When asked about this, he said something like "why not, maybe we should go back to single speed bikes".

That's a kinda lame answer. Come on Froomy you can do better!

numbskull
08-31-2016, 11:35 AM

Think how cool that would be for 1 race in the season.

jlwdm
08-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Part of racing is thinking. I have always been against radios. Froome staring at the power meter, totally oblivious to the race around him, on climbs takes it to a new level. I like Froome personally,seems like a good guy, but hate that style of racing.

Froome uses his power meter but when he is looking down it is not because he is staring at his power meter. He has a comfort issue with his neck. There is no reason to stare constantly at the power meter.

Jeff