PDA

View Full Version : ...

cadence90
08-30-2016, 08:02 PM
.... ..

91Bear
08-30-2016, 08:08 PM
For the money you paid, it should be completely automated!

I'd go with the Presta-only head but that means spending more money.

Cicli
08-30-2016, 08:09 PM
I have an old barbed push on chuck that I move from old pump to new. Similar to that second one you show. Those new fangled flip chucks are garbage. Get a proper chuck.

cadence90
08-30-2016, 08:23 PM
.... ..

donevwil
08-30-2016, 08:36 PM
If you're OK with the price a Hirame head is the best I've ever used by far. Works on every presta, even when only a tiny bit of stem is protruding from the rim. Best price I found was at Jitensha Studio. It brought new life to my 30 year old Silca Pista.

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/images/pumphdA.jpg

Tandem Rider
08-30-2016, 09:00 PM
NOS might mean the washer is rotted. Easiest fix of all for your pump.

cadence90
08-30-2016, 09:11 PM
.... ..

reggiebaseball
08-31-2016, 04:30 AM
I have something in my parts bin I will send you for $12, if you would like to PM me.

It is a press on chuck by Silca, that I used when I had a silca maybe for a few months. It has been in the bin for 3 years.

cadence90
08-31-2016, 05:06 AM
.... ..

ldamelio
08-31-2016, 05:40 AM
For the money you paid, it should be completely automated!

Read carefully - OP's pump is NOS - one of the old Italian Silca pumps- iconic workhorses and a great value. The new Silca at $350 is a very nice pump but too rich for my blood. Only multimillionaire surgeons can afford that.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2016, 05:42 AM
I did a search here, but cannot find any current answers. I need some help, please.

I received a new (NOS) Silca Super Pista pump yesterday, and tried it for the first time today.

:crap:

On 3 different tire sets, all with different (threaded/slick; different lengths; etc.) Presta valves, the pump dos not work at all. The head does not grab the valve stem, and if it (barely) does it pops off immediately as soon as I engage the pump. Screwing the valve stems against the rim with the knurled washers does not help; holding the valve/head with one hand and trying to pump with the other does nothing. The head simply does not engage the valve stem adequately, no matter what I do.

The supplied head is a convertible Presta/Schraeder head. it looks brand new, and flipping it from Presta to Schraeder to Presta is very simple. Except that it is not working. I don't care about the Schraeder head in any case.

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

NOS meaning not the present Silca company and their newest whiz bang pump head. I'd say get a wee hose clamp, cut the old one off, install this one and be done.

The 90 degree head was designed for disc brakes, like the TT disc brakes..

cadence90
08-31-2016, 06:25 AM
.... ..

Fatty
08-31-2016, 07:48 AM
To clarify, if needed for the gallery, this pump was a gift, definitely NOS original Italian Super Pista, fwiw, to replace my old wrecked other pump, and as I understand it the price was....much, much less than 3 figures.
OK for all? :rolleyes:

Is the head on your old "wrecked " pump ok? If it is cut the hoss at the base of the old pump, cut the head off the new pump and use a double ended barb to join the hoses. Done and an extra long hose can't be beat. :beer:

rustychisel
08-31-2016, 07:54 AM
I have a Silca with brass head as illustrated by Old Spud. Works pretty well, slips off sometimes. That's my reminder to smear the inside of the head with a little petroleum jelly (vaseline).

Perhaps counterintuitive, but it seals the flow and the head no longer blows off.

Fatty
08-31-2016, 08:01 AM
I have a Silca with brass head as illustrated by Old Spud. Works pretty well, slips off sometimes. That's my reminder to smear the inside of the head with a little petroleum jelly (vaseline).

Perhaps counterintuitive, but it seals the flow and the head no longer blows off.

Fatty keeps a tiny jar with petroleum jelly on his workbench for just this reason.
Best place to start.

rustychisel
08-31-2016, 08:02 AM
Fatty is a clever man. I'll bet his head never blows off. :beer:

FlashUNC
08-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Since it is NOS, have you given all the rubber/leather bits a going over?

I know Silca both new and old recommended keeping that leather plunger lubricated to avoid any issues.

OtayBW
08-31-2016, 09:43 AM
NOS meaning not the present Silca company and their newest whiz bang pump head. I'd say get a wee hose clamp, cut the old one off, install this one and be done.

The 90 degree head was designed for disc brakes, like the TT disc brakes..

Perhaps counterintuitive, but it seals the flow and the head no longer blows off.I have a 30yo Silca with the original presta head. With the threadless stemmed tubes that I use, it works perfectly every time.

chiasticon
08-31-2016, 09:47 AM
unscrew the head and see what this thing looks like: https://silca.cc/collections/replacement-parts/products/silca-242-gasket-for-presta-chucks

if it's all chewed up (it shouldn't be) you need a new one. or the head needs to be tightened so it has a firmer seal. I'd contact Silca either way and see what's up. they'll set you straight.

my only complaint about my Silca is that thing wears out quickly.

redir
08-31-2016, 10:07 AM
I've had mine since about 1990 with the same presta head on it like in Potatoes foto and it's the best chuck I think I've ever used. Every time I try and use someone elses pump I get so frustrated with how overly comlicated they are. Get the presta and you will be happy. Get some extra rubber grommets too and zip tie one on your pump. They last a good while but it's always nice to have a spare.

donevwil
08-31-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks.
I just checked Jitensha (love that place!) but it appears that they no longer have them in stock.

Those chucks cost as much as the pump did, I think!
The "Hiro' chuck on Silca's page is even more...$110! Crazy.
Is the Tanaka version = to the Hirame?

ColonelJLloyd has a Tanaka in the classifieds for cheap, you should give that a try.

sun
08-31-2016, 04:24 PM
i'm happy with the presta only Silca head. It needs some break-in time, but works great.

iPaul
08-31-2016, 07:28 PM
Had similar issue when I bought mine new. I believe all I did was tighten the screw head to compress the red gasket and has worked like a charm for over a year. Just replaced gasket just as general maintenance. In fact I find it grabs pretty tight and can be hard to pull off.

Ed-B
08-31-2016, 07:43 PM
Just do it. SKS EVA. Done. Cheap!

Buy an SKS EVA pump head on Amazon and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it works for such short money.

cadence90
09-01-2016, 12:57 AM
.... ..

cadence90
09-01-2016, 01:04 AM
.... ..

blakcloud
09-01-2016, 02:47 PM
I use the 40.3 head you posted. It is not just a presta only head. Unscrew the head above where it says Silca and you can screw it on to a schrader valve. It works just fine.

sun
09-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Yes, the 17-4 head. It seems to stick a bit when putting it on and lets a lot of air out. It gets better as you go.

cadence90
09-01-2016, 04:18 PM
.... ..

91Bear
05-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Thank you, ldamelio.
I ignored the original "91bear" comment because i thought it a fairly judgmental comment based on absolutely 0 evidence.

I apologize. I didn't mean to offend. Silca lists the new ones for $450. I thought it was one of those. Crazy money for a bike pump.