PDA

View Full Version : shimano shoe sizing help please

vqdriver
08-30-2016, 03:14 PM
i'm about to pull the trigger on some shimano shoes but have questions about sizing. i've heard that they run wider than others, how wide? like in between normal and mega sidis? how wide does the shimano wide sizes fit?
fwiw, i wear a 43 mega in sidi and 44 wide in specialized

yes, i know i can walk into a store to try them on but my local shops don't stock the wide sizes. besides, i feel really guilty about trying stuff on with the intent to buy elsewhere anyway.

icepick_trotsky
08-30-2016, 03:19 PM
I wear a 44 in Giro (road) and Shimano (mtb). Fits about the same. These are the regular width, not the wide, though.

Bwana
08-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Here's a helpful thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=133087

http://media.performancebike.com/images/performance/productinfo/20-SHOE-MENS-SIZING.gif

ultraman6970
08-30-2016, 03:30 PM
Shimano road and mtb shoes run totally different IMO.

The few shimano road shoes Ive tried run wider than regular sidis IMO, not super wide as bont but tad wider than regular sidis. Length wise you have to measure your feet and you should ok, in centimeter obviously.

As for the fit, they will feel weird when you try them because as bont are designed with more support than normal and once in the bike they should feel ok. For the record I do not have shimano shoes because i use bont.

topflightpro
08-30-2016, 05:57 PM
I had 44 Specialized wide and 44 Shimano wide. They fit pretty similarly. The Shimanos were a bit longer though. I sometimes wonder if I should have sized down to a 43.5 or 43.

gone
08-30-2016, 06:01 PM
FWIW, I wouldn't believe the Shimano size chart, at least based on my experience. I wear a 47 in everything but according to the size chart I ordered a 48. Sure enough, too big. Oh, and they run wide too.

josephr
08-30-2016, 06:23 PM
I have a pair of Shimano road-touring shoes that feel a little tight, so when it came to a new pair of road shoes, I went with the Wide version on the R088...have worn them for a couple of seasons and feel like they're a little too wide. I have a pair of Giro Privateers in regular 44 and like them a lot so I just ordered a pair of Giro Apeckx II.

If you want to try the R088 in a 44-Wide, drop me a PM and I'll send them your way. They're still in pretty good condition so I wouldn't offer them up otherwise. I'm not big on used clothing, so just a little help with shipping is all I'd ask if you want to check them out.
Joe

OldCrank
08-30-2016, 08:02 PM
I have feet like a duck. I need wide.

Sidi MEGAs have the largest toebox in my small collection.

My Shimano and Giro HV road shoes (not top of the line) are pretty comfortably wide. Some Shimano shoes actually come in Wide; have not tried them.

Specialized are a little less wide but still have a good-sized toebox.

Try `em on whenever you get the chance.

bensinep
08-30-2016, 08:38 PM
I have Wide Fit Shimano road shoes in 46 and some Sidi Megas in 45. The Shimanos are wider than the Sidis. My Shimanos (R315 I believe) are also heat molded to my feet so that likely adds to their comfort. Great shoes!

vqdriver
08-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks all.
The shoes im looking at are mtb shoes. Dont know if that changes things, but ill just try the 43 wides and hope for the best. If not, cc has always been good to me.

Ken Robb
08-31-2016, 05:21 AM
I found that sizing varies from model-to-model as much as it does from brand-to-brand so I have to try shoes on to know I will get the proper fit.

jmal
08-31-2016, 05:41 AM
I have Shimano MTB shoes and I would say they run a bit small in length. I usually wear a 43.5 in Specialized shoes, but I need a 44 in Shimano. I don't know how much variation they have model to model, but this is my experience based on the model I have. The toe box is comfortably wide, but not unusually so. My feet are on the wide side, so this is a positive feature for me. I can manage with standard width shoes, but I do prefer a wider toe box. I believe Competitive Cyclist has a size guide that also says they run a bit small.