PDA

View Full Version : which one of these is just like the other...

Grant McLean
07-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Hmmmmmmmm?

"There was some controversy in 2005 over whether Giant would be producing additional models, including carbon frame models, for Colnago. According to statments by Ernesto Colnago, founder and president of Colnago, this is not the case: “For the 2006 model year, Colnago will be sourcing two entry-level aluminum road bike models from Giant, made to Colnago's spec and frame geometry and for sales in Europe and Asia only. All other Colnago bicycles are made in Italy. No Colnago carbon fiber frames are made at Giant and none will be, as Mr. Colnago has a long-term sourcing agreement in place with ATR for carbon fiber bicycle frames”

SponsorsWanted
07-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Good eye, I wonder why the chicken chooses the Giant over the more than competent C50 Chrono...

bostondrunk
07-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Good eye, I wonder why the chicken chooses the Giant over the more than competent C50 Chrono...

What makes the C50 better than the Giant?
Also, I thought Jan raced on rebadged Walsers?

Kahuna
07-12-2006, 02:44 AM
He does. This is a picture of Honchar.

The Spider
07-12-2006, 03:40 AM
great eyes!

is there a weight difference...even a few grams would make up Rasmussens mind...

his mechanic used to make his MTB wheels from Dura-ace hubs and skewers...

Climb01742
07-12-2006, 05:39 AM
note the floyd-esque angle on the 'nago's bars. do they let michael hide his face while he falls over? :rolleyes:

CalfeeFly
07-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Colnago changed his mind and the alloy Asian Bikes are coming into the US. I've seen two already.

bostondrunk
07-12-2006, 11:54 AM
He does. This is a picture of Honchar.

I knew that... :cool:

obtuse
07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
What makes the C50 better than the Giant?

he doesn't anymore. gerolsteiner uses'em though.

and the giant is basically a knock-off of the walser and giant and colnago have a "relationship". milram is on the c50 chrono but the higher profile rabobank team is on the faster narrower and lighte giant thing with its 50mm bb and 100mm rear wheel spacing.

obtuse

Erik.Lazdins
07-12-2006, 09:18 PM
In the pursuit of more money, I believe Ernesto and co. are allowing greed/ambition to cloud their vision.

For sale in Europe and Asia is what they say, but for how long? Some middle level corporate gunslinger may present a very convincing argument that the US can handle both the ATR built C-50 and the Giant Colnago to co-exist as the price levels will be different in the future.

As Colnago has spent a lot of money to be the only ISO certified bike manufacturer, the management of another quality manufacturing process will cost more, driving the need to sell more bikes. Its a vicious cycle. And ISO does not necessarily certify that the product is good, only the process.

Granted this may not happen, but I don't like the message.

Have a good ride.

Grant McLean
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
In the pursuit of more money, I believe Ernesto and co. are allowing greed/ambition to cloud their vision.

Have a good ride.

I think Giant is a great manufacturer. If I had a great design that I wanted
built under contract, they'd be high on my list. The only "problem" with
Giant bikes in the high-end is their image. This is a big problem, and one
that all the years of pro sponsorship hasn't done much to change.

Take off the paint, and I'd put anything Giant could build up against anyone.
That's the irony of seeing a Giant with Colnago stickers on it, people who
only see the brand will think it's pretty cool, but if they find out it's really a giant
it's likely they won't not so cool anymore.

g

Erik.Lazdins
07-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Grant,
I know guys who love their Giants. But where does the Colnago end and the Giant begin. If a decal is the only difference, I don't agree with the message.

Erik

obtuse
07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
most giants suck. cut'em in half and they're inconsistent and full of bladders and refuse from the manufacturing process. cut a c50 in half and its like graph paper on the inside.

cut that tt bike in half and i'd imagine you'd have something more like the latter than the former.

obtuse

(by the way, the chinese colangos are already here. they're called artes and they're fine.)

Grant McLean
07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
most giants suck. cut'em in half and they're inconsistent and full of bladders and refuse from the manufacturing process. cut a c50 in half and its like graph paper on the inside.

cut that tt bike in half and i'd imagine you'd have something more like the latter than the former.

obtuse

(by the way, the chinese colangos are already here. they're called artes and they're fine.)

Oh, that's the reason they suck? thanks for clearing that up.

g

obtuse
07-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Oh, that's the reason they suck? thanks for clearing that up.

g

no most of them suck because they are inconsistent in the build quality; flexy in the wrong places and come in too few sizes and the big ones have dumb front center and trail measurements. that being said that new neat-o tt bike and the new t-mobile road bike is pretty wicked pissah awesome....

obtuse

BoulderGeek
07-12-2006, 11:12 PM
FWIW, I always looked askance at Giants and the other offshore robot-constructing bike mega-mills.

i just replaced my 9 year old classic Klein mountain bike last summer. I looked at and demoed Kona, Rocky Mountain, Kestrel, Moots, and everything else I could test and play with.

My money was plunked down on the best riding bike at the sweetest price point. Hands down, nothing I rode was a better full suspension Colorado trail bike: the Giant Trance.

I go into my garage, and expect to see the old Klein, alongside my Serotta, Jeep and motorcycles. I see the Giant, and stifle a shock. Then I remember how well it does everything, at half the cost of a handbuilt rig. I accept that I have a robot-built bike, and that I really like it.