PDA

View Full Version : Cycling & Technology

MattTuck
08-30-2016, 09:20 AM
On Sunday, I was riding along and I noticed two cyclists coming up from behind. At a stop light, they caught up to me, and we made some small talk... "oh, where you headed?" answer was "Portland" (Maine). Ahh, like 160+ miles. "wow," I said, "that's a hike." "Yeah, we're trying to do it fast...." and he said he was coming from NY, and his riding buddy was coming from Portland, Oregon.

I rode with them for a few minutes, then it was the end of my ride, so I wished them good luck in their journey, and watched them ride East.

10 or 15 years ago, that probably would have been the end of the story.

But thanks to Strava, and the fly-by feature, I was able to find one of the riders. 17 years old, and riding across the country. Damn, I wish I'd done that! Here's his strava profile, https://www.strava.com/athletes/15212355

He has every day of riding, lots of them with pictures. Took him 41 days, start to finish, with some BIG days in there. I think I saw one with 229 miles in one day. Woah.

Anyway, I know there are some negatives to strava, and chasing KOMs. But I thought this was a cool story about how technology has opened up positive possibilities, as well.

Schmed
08-30-2016, 09:25 AM
I've done the same thing - checked out the flyby feature to see who I met along the trail. A bit of cyber-stalking, I guess.

Most of my friends don't even use a cycling computer, let alone GPS, nor Strava. Me, being an engineering nerd, I find that Strava is a motivator to ride more often, further, and faster. That's good for my riding.